Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Josh Rosen?
Dolphins are expected to waive 3yr QB Josh Rosen failing in the attempt to trade him. Would he be an upgrade to our current back up QB situation?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Yes he would be and it is the only thing about a released/FA player that has made 2% of sense, so far. Someone will pay more, though, I think.
Reply/Quote
Plenty of guys would be an upgrade over Finley, but I think that ship has sailed. There were far better options out there, including some vets. If we were serious about a new QB2 we would have brought in one of them. Let’s just hope the only time Finley sees the field is when Burrow is blowing teams out and the game is out of reach. :D
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 10:28 PM)Destro Wrote: Yes he would be and it is the only thing about a released/FA player that has made 2% of sense, so far. Someone will pay more, though, I think.

He would be waived...not released.  Bengals have first claim

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 10:37 PM)pally Wrote: He would be waived...not released.  Bengals have first claim

I liked him in college and he may rebound still.  If they plan on keeping 3 QBs he makes sense.  I don't like the idea of keeping Allen as a covid QB unless I'm  missing a weird rule.  Cut him and call him if it happens. 
Reply/Quote
I'd take him. He's likely to accept a back up role at this point.

If anything we can trade him at the deadline if someone is desperate... I don't see a downside.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2020, 11:54 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I'd take him. He's likely to accept a back up role at this point.

If anything we can trade him at the deadline if someone is desperate... I don't see a downside.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Hell, Rosen might not even bother to unpack. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
[Image: MNeE7.jpg]

But I don't think our staff wants a new QB.
Reply/Quote
A competent backup QB > Rosen > Finley

So yes, an upgrade, but I feel like most anybody would be an upgrade over Finley.

Finley aside, though... Rosen has to be making history right now. 10th overall pick just 2 years ago and two teams have already gotten rid of him for non-criminal/disciplinary reasons. That has to be a record.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 02:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A competent backup QB > Rosen > Finley

So yes, an upgrade, but I feel like most anybody would be an upgrade over Finley.

Finley aside, though... Rosen has to be making history right now. 10th overall pick just 2 years ago and two teams have already gotten rid of him for non-criminal/disciplinary reasons. That has to be a record.

Rosen's career QBR is only 1.4 higher than Finley's.  Neither is very good, even in a backup capacity, but they are about equivalent to each other.  Rosen doesn't represent any kind of an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 03:52 AM)Whatever Wrote: Rosen's career QBR is only 1.4 higher than Finley's.  Neither is very good, even in a backup capacity, but they are about equivalent to each other.  Rosen doesn't represent any kind of an upgrade.

Rosen can complete more than 50% of his passes. That is the lowest possible bar I can think of, but it's still a bar that Finley can't surpass. Finley doesn't have more INTs only because his noodle arm is incapable of throwing it far or accurate enough to reach a defender (who is normally near the WR).

When Tim Tebow is more accurate passing the football than you, you don't belong in the NFL.

I honestly don't want Rosen on the Bengals either, but if the alternative is Finley, then bring Rosen in.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 03:52 AM)Whatever Wrote: Rosen's career QBR is only 1.4 higher than Finley's.  Neither is very good, even in a backup capacity, but they are about equivalent to each other.  Rosen doesn't represent any kind of an upgrade.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=14604654]
Reply/Quote
A couple points:

I am not going to hold last year's performance against Finley for some of the team around him was also awful, and Rosen has little to no mobility that I see as so critical to success.

That being said, there will be preseason games (albeit probably less) and if you bring in Rosen and can show development in him next year, there may be a way to turn him in to a decent draft pick via trade.

Personally, I don't like the guy's "aloof" sort of attitude. He's like the anti-Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Rosen is ready for the backup circuit yet. The guy is younger than Burrow and the 2018 Cardinals and 2019 Dolphins were hardly ideal situations. I'm not calling the guy the next Brees, but I could see teams that will need a starter soon giving him a look.

NE, Pittsburgh, Indy, Chicago, and NO all make more sense than Cincy does unless we want to jettison Dolegala or Finley and sit on Rosen and hope one of those teams comes calling in 2021.

It's also interesting seeing how many recent first round pick QBs are either backups now or free agents:
Winston
Mariotta
Rosen
Lynch
Bortles
Manziel

Or are on pretty thin ice:
Haskins
Trubisky
Mayfield

Teddy Bridgewater was a backup last year and now he's a starter, so honorable mention for his feel-good story. Still...wacky.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 02:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A competent backup QB > Rosen > Finley

you have to feel for him....7 offensive coordinators in 6 years.  Every time he starts to get comfortable in a system it changes again. 

New Orleans has Jamies Winston and Taysom Hill as backups they are not going to sign Josh Rosen.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 09:48 AM)pally Wrote: New Orleans has Jamies Winston and Taysom Hill as backups they are not going to sign Josh Rosen.

They won't sign him any time soon, but if he seems more suited to backing up Brees and being a potential next starter than those guys.  I think the most amusing thing about NO's backups is that Winston threw more TDs to Saints players as the Buc's QBs than Taysom Hill has thrown in 2 years on the Saints' roster.
Reply/Quote
Talent-wise, I think it's a no brainer to claim him. I'm too lazy to look up the actual number, but I read that all his contract bonuses have been paid, so it'd be a 2 year contract for under $4M total. Not bad for a high potential backup.

I think the decision 100% comes down to what kind of a locker room guy he is. If there is any thought that he'd negatively effect Burrow's trajectory, you pass... or claim him and keep him on a short leash.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2020, 10:15 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Talent-wise, I think it's a no brainer to claim him. I'm too lazy to look up the actual number, but I read that all his contract bonuses have been paid, so it'd be a 2 year contract for under $4M total. Not bad for a high potential backup.

I think the decision 100% comes down to what kind of a locker room guy he is. If there is any thought that he'd negatively effect Burrow's trajectory, you pass... or claim him and keep him on a short leash.

And that’s where Rosen’s problem come to light. He’s a punk a** douche and not a team player from everything I’ve ever heard about the guy.

To me this discussion is like a team clamoring over John Ross and talking about how Cincinnati wasn’t an ideal place and hes actually got potential.
Reply/Quote
It's remarkable how many people have fallen from Grace after being very publicly anti-Trump. No other explanation
Reply/Quote
He's definitely a better QB than Finley. But I don't think he'd be a good fit.

One of the biggest things people overlook is harmony in the locker room, and specifically in the position rooms. I think it's incredibly important for whoever is behind Burrow to develop a relationship/friendship with him, while also knowing their role.

I'm not sure this kid would make the best partner in that room. He's a former top 10 pick, who has never been really been given a fair shake. I'm sure this bothers him, and I'm sure he believes he's deserving of a chance somewhere.

The problem is that here there is no chance. You're the backup and that's it. There's no winning the job, or hoping that you can takeover down the road. You're a holding a clipboard unless Burrow goes down. And no matter how you play, if you even get the chance, you're going right back to the bench as soon as Joe can return.

I don't think he'd be thrilled with that role, and I think there'd be chemistry issues. And for that reason, I'm out.

Reply/Quote