Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupou and Isaiah Prince Opt-out
Nice of Tupou to wait until after we cut Glasscow to do this.

WTS, I expect the D and O lines to be the positions that mostly opt out.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: It has been thrown around that bubble type players may decide to opt out because they will get a guaranteed $150k from the league vs fighting for a roster spot to earn their salary.

UDFAs get nothing.  And the $150,000 and $350,000 are advances on next year's salaries.  They will lose that much money next season.

The team knew that Tupou was considering opting out when they cut Glasgow.  If they were comfortable in Ryan's ability to play this season they could have PUPd him instead of cutting him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I really don’t get the Topou hype. He was really just a giant warm body.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 03:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think this is a huge mistake and I understand everyone is socially sensitive about everything these days, but he had a positive year then signs a new contract with a team then decides that its in his best interest to sit out.  If I were in his position and this was a career that I felt strongly about I would put myself in isolation and focus on the season not opting out.  That being said I'm aware I don't know the reasoning behind this and he may very well have a valid resason for making this decision, but ultimately decisions like this leave lasting impressions to those who pay his salary.

Yes, it makes you wonder...its not like he is a Donta'  Hightower caliber player....
I would be worried about having a job next yr honestly.
Oh well...lets keep looking at cuts and waiver wire deals...Im sure we can fill this 345 Pound void quite easily.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 03:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nice of Tupou to wait until after we cut Glasscow to do this.

I don't think it would have made any difference.  We let Glasgow go for injury resons.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 05:45 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes, it makes you wonder...its not like he is a Donta'  Hightower caliber player....
I would be worried about having a job next yr honestly.

I assume all of these players have some personal reason for opting out like a health problem or a high risk family member.

It definitely puts them at a disadvantage to take a year off.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 04:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I really don’t get the Topou hype. He was really just a giant warm body.

No he wasn't; he's a great run stuffer and the numbers back it up.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 04:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I really don’t get the Topou hype. He was really just a giant warm body.

Are you trying to turn me on?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that would work out.  $150K is about what a player would earn on the practice squad.  With expanded practice squads this year anyone who is already under contract should be able to make a practice squad.

If a player opts out then he will be behind everyone trying to make roster next year.

Seems like the worst think a marginal player could do is take a year off.

I can see the reasoning.  Pacific Islanders, Latinos, and Black people top the list, when it comes to susceptibility to Covid-19.  Has more to do with risk, than with playing ability.  Both are very large humans, which are prone to having underlying health issues to begin with.  They are both still young enough to give it another go, once the virus runs it's course.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 05:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he wasn't; he's a great run stuffer and the numbers back it up.

Yeah, in my mind both Tupou and Glascow are big losses.  Not just good rotational pieces, they were good players on the field when healthy.

Bummed about this for sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 05:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No he wasn't; he's a great run stuffer and the numbers back it up.

Meh. He played on a 2-14 team that gave up the most rush yards in the league. I know it’s a team sport. He was serviceable. But I’m not dreading this loss.
Reply/Quote

I think you might be under-selling the term "great". 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
He literally is a good run stuffer, that's it.

He's offers nothing in the pass rush.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 04:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I really don’t get the Topou hype. He was really just a giant warm body.

I don’t think anyone “hyped” him up too much. He was just a solid backup that played decent when he got the chance. I personally liked him well enough.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 07:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are you trying to turn me on?

Nervous

[Image: image?q=85&c=sc&poi=face&w=4256&h=2228&u...y-0519.jpg]

Reply/Quote
These guys probably watched those NBA games last night, and said "This is lame."...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Nervous

[Image: image?q=85&c=sc&poi=face&w=4256&h=2228&u...y-0519.jpg]

Oh yeah.... Touch it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Tupou is a sizeable lost and could be bigger if/when Geno opts out. If Geno doesn't then I think we will be fine. I think Brown is going to step up at 3T as a backup and it's rise and shine time for Wren.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 10:49 PM)jason Wrote: Oh yeah.... Touch it.

That there sir, is the funniest stuff I have seen on here today. Joe

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2020, 11:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That there sir, is the funniest stuff I have seen on here today. Joe

At this point laughter is the only thing carrying me though 2020.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote