Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Judge pressing jurors to see if they are impartial
On a different note, this thing with Barron's high school graduation is going to be interesting. The judge already threatened jail time if Trump misses court, I believe specifically citing this date. This, while standard procedure, really set up a lose/lose situation. If Trump attends his son's graduation and is jailed for it you just handed Trump a massive campaign boost. If he attends the graduation and don't jail him then you look impotent, and that will be the entire news cycle for days. Trump being Trump, I don't see anyway he doesn't attend now.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: On a different note, this thing with Barron's high school graduation is going to be interesting.  The judge already threatened jail time if Trump misses court, I believe specifically citing this date.  This, while standard procedure, really set up a lose/lose situation.  If Trump attends his son's graduation and is jailed for it you just handed Trump a massive campaign boost.  If he attends the graduation and don't jail him then you look impotent, and that will be the entire news cycle for days.  Trump being Trump, I don't see anyway he doesn't attend now.

I'm sure given your professional you are very aware of how many people suddenly want so badly to be a part of their children's lives as soon as they are tied up with legal issues.  You are right that Trump is using this as a political "can't-lose" situation, it's just funny how under the gold plating he's just a run of the mill crappy husband and absentee dad.

If only Harry Chapin were alive to write a song about how much Trump wanted to be there for his kids.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: On a different note, this thing with Barron's high school graduation is going to be interesting.  The judge already threatened jail time if Trump misses court, I believe specifically citing this date.  This, while standard procedure, really set up a lose/lose situation.  If Trump attends his son's graduation and is jailed for it you just handed Trump a massive campaign boost.  If he attends the graduation and don't jail him then you look impotent, and that will be the entire news cycle for days.  Trump being Trump, I don't see anyway he doesn't attend now.

He almost has to attend. His advisors are telling him to attend. If he doesn't, he has missed a golden opportunity.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: On a different note, this thing with Barron's high school graduation is going to be interesting. The judge already threatened jail time if Trump misses court, I believe specifically citing this date. This, while standard procedure, really set up a lose/lose situation. If Trump attends his son's graduation and is jailed for it you just handed Trump a massive campaign boost. If he attends the graduation and don't jail him then you look impotent, and that will be the entire news cycle for days. Trump being Trump, I don't see anyway he doesn't attend now.

He supposedly missed the graduations of all his other children. I guess Barron is special. Because we all know Trump wouldn’t use his son to delay things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure given your professional you are very aware of how many people suddenly want so badly to be a part of their children's lives as soon as they are tied up with legal issues.  You are right that Trump is using this as a political "can't-lose" situation, it's just funny how under the gold plating he's just a run of the mill crappy husband and absentee dad.

If only Harry Chapin were alive to write a song about how much Trump wanted to be there for his kids.

No doubt.  

(04-16-2024, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He almost has to attend. His advisors are telling him to attend. If he doesn't, he has missed a golden opportunity.

Yes, it's really a slam dunk for him.  I completely understand the danger of making exceptions, but it would have been easy to have a three day recess around that day and claim it was for something else.  We're in uncharted territory here.

(04-16-2024, 01:32 PM)pally Wrote: He supposedly missed the graduations of all his other children. I guess Barron is special. Because we all know Trump wouldn’t use his son to delay things.

Did he?  Do you have a source for this other than your claim?  Even if true it's irrelevant, it doesn't alter a single point about the discussion at hand.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He almost has to attend. His advisors are telling him to attend. If he doesn't, he has missed a golden opportunity.

It's awesomely cynical that political advisors are telling a man running for president that it is essential to his reelection that he defy a judge's order and either go to jail OR face zero consequences while his supporters scream about how it's a two-tiered justice system.

Trump can't lose!  Either he goes to jail which helps him, or he doesn't face consequences and shows he is above the rule of law that applies to commoners, which also helps him.  At least the Trump haters can all take solace in knowing that for Trump being around his wife and doing normal stuff like this is going to make him miserable. 

(04-16-2024, 01:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Did he?  Do you have a source for this other than your claim?  Even if true it's irrelevant, it doesn't alter a single point about the discussion at hand.

Given Trump's er...nature, I'd say it's fair the burden of proof would lie upon the hypothesis that he actually did attend something for his kids.  I mean, I'm kind of joking, but not really.  It is amusing that during this specific trial Melania is going to be tasked with sitting next to him and pretending that he has any honor for his sacred traditional marriage. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: On a different note, this thing with Barron's high school graduation is going to be interesting. The judge already threatened jail time if Trump misses court, I believe specifically citing this date. This, while standard procedure, really set up a lose/lose situation. If Trump attends his son's graduation and is jailed for it you just handed Trump a massive campaign boost. If he attends the graduation and don't jail him then you look impotent, and that will be the entire news cycle for days. Trump being Trump, I don't see anyway he doesn't attend now.

They are certainly doing what they can to set this up in their favor, but there isn't as much hay to be made about it as some of the media is making it out to be.

https://apnews.com/live/trump-trial-hush-money-updates-april-15

From the report on this part:

Quote:Trump’s lawyers have requested that the trial not be held on May 17 so that the former president may attend his son Barron’s high school graduation. A Trump lawyer has also requested the trial not be held June 3 so that he could attend his own son’s graduation.

Merchan said he was not prepared to rule on either request, but that if the trial proceeds as planned he’s willing to adjourn for one or both days. “It really depends on how we’re doing on time and where we are in the trial,” Merchan said.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 09:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Monica was no barn burner either. So, I guess he didn't cheat up. More of a lateral cheat. What fun is that? Especially when you're the POTUS. BUT, cheat or not, I bet he's not the first President to have sex in the oval.

Well yea she wasn't but still all in fun.

Yea I'm not gonna take you up on that bet. I'm thinking JFK probably did, before him who knows.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:32 PM)pally Wrote: He supposedly missed the graduations of all his other children. I guess Barron is special. Because we all know Trump wouldn’t use his son to delay things.

Where are you getting that? 
I'm finding the exact opposite. Jr is the only one that his attendance hasn't been confirmed yet. 

Trump doesn't come across as a family type of guy, that's his public persona, but his kids work with him and for him so he spends time with them. Which is a hell of a lot more than many people can say about their parents. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 04:32 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Where are you getting that? 
I'm finding the exact opposite. Jr is the only one that his attendance hasn't been confirmed yet. 

Trump doesn't come across as a family type of guy, that's his public persona, but his kids work with him and for him so he spends time with them. Which is a hell of a lot more than many people can say about their parents. 

I think the question now is if/why Trump is lying about the judge forbidding him to go to it.  This smacks of when the legal documents and processes said Trump's legal counsel didn't opt for a jury trial and Trump made a point to tell everyone that the judge unfairly denied him one.

Oh and my crystal ballsack tells me that Trump saying that he's totally going to testify in this case means he's going to refuse to testify on his own behalf and then tell everyone that he wanted to but the judge denied him his constitutional right to defend himself.

TRUMP - I was going to testify on my own behalf and prove I was totally innocent of this and that the 2020 election was rigged, but the judge didn't let me. Also, there is no video footage, but a tiger that escaped from the New York zoo burst into the court room and I kicked its ass and saved everyone.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 04:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the question now is if/why Trump is lying about the judge forbidding him to go to it.  This smacks of when the legal documents and processes said Trump's legal counsel didn't opt for a jury trial and Trump made a point to tell everyone that the judge unfairly denied him one.

Oh and my crystal ballsack tells me that Trump saying that he's totally going to testify in this case means he's going to refuse to testify on his own behalf and then tell everyone that he wanted to but the judge denied him his constitutional right to defend himself.

TRUMP - I was going to testify on my own behalf and prove I was totally innocent of this and that the 2020 election was rigged, but the judge didn't let me.  Also, there is no video footage, but a tiger that escaped from the New York zoo burst into the court room and I kicked its ass and saved everyone.

Did the Judge approve Trump to attend Barron's Graduation?

No??? So How is it a lie if he's required by law to attend his Trial? 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 05:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Did the Judge approve Trump to attend Barron's Graduation?

No??? So How is it a lie if he's required by law to attend his Trial? 

I guess we won't know for sure until Trump attends it and ends up in prison for it, I'm wagering it's a no.  I don't know the actual official order, Trump said he was denied but we know Trump has lied about other things of this nature.  Isn't it standard for a defendant to be required to attend a criminal trial?  So if there is an official denial on the part of the judge is it being framed as an unfair singling out of Trump or are we admitting that this is "business as usual" and when anyone else is too busy being on criminal trial to do stuff we say "Tough luck, shouldn't have done criminal stuff?"

Sources posted within the past few hours indicate that the judge hasn't officially ruled on it yet, which means when Trump is saying he's been denied that he is misrepresenting the ruling because, as others have pointed out, the narrative that he's been denied opens a "can't lose" scenario.  Trump's official word is that he's been prohibited from attending:

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/112277727022231642

Let's you and I talk like adults here, Trump wants the judge to deny him.  The fact that the judge is even entertaining this while Trump is already crying foul and unfair makes me think he's trying to bait the judge into saying "NO" so Trump can have more than just his word to back up his cries of unfair.  Just my 2 cents until further notice.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 02:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: They are certainly doing what they can to set this up in their favor, but there isn't as much hay to be made about it as some of the media is making it out to be.

https://apnews.com/live/trump-trial-hush-money-updates-april-15

From the report on this part:

A very smart move.  I wonder why the media reported such a skewed and flawed version of events?

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 05:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A very smart move.  I wonder why the media reported such a skewed and flawed version of events?

Honestly, most of the reports I saw when Googling it hedged on it. But, Trump went off about it and some of the more partisan sources on his side ran with it. They are just trying to create the image of injustice. It's SOP at this point.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, most of the reports I saw when Googling it hedged on it. But, Trump went off about it and some of the more partisan sources on his side ran with it. They are just trying to create the image of injustice. It's SOP at this point.

Again, that is what is so over the top nuts about this...Trump is so full of crap that the odometer rolls all the way back to 0 and it's just "business as usual, nothing to see here."  Just the idea that people watch Trump lying about the judge's ruling in regards to a criminal fraud case he's embroiled in not only doesn't make a ripple, but people are like "Yeah, that's the only guy who is innocent on and we should make him president and grant him full immunity, or something."

I mean lordy, I get that Biden isn't all that great but imagine if every time he fell down the stairs democrats were like "Woahh...that's gonna give him a boost in the polls!"

I have to ask, if this whole affair was such a nothingburger, why did Trump go through the trouble of paying $130k in hush money, and doing it in a manner that is so not on the level that it got his accomplice got what, 3 years for it?  Aren't there legal ways to pay hush money?  And isn't it interesting that of all the 'out in the open" affairs and dishonor of his marriages that Trump pulled over the decades this was the one he apparently wasn't openly proud of?  Ah well, we shall see what shakes out.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No doubt.  

Yes, it's really a slam dunk for him.  I completely understand the danger of making exceptions, but it would have been easy to have a three day recess around that day and claim it was for something else.  We're in uncharted territory here.

Did he?  Do you have a source for this other than your claim?  Even if true it's irrelevant, it doesn't alter a single point about the discussion at hand.

I saw that multiple places but wasn't comfortable with the sourcing which is why I said supposedly.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:07 PM)pally Wrote: I saw that multiple places but wasn't comfortable with the sourcing which is why I said supposedly.

Which likely means it's not verifiable or true.  But hey, you said supposedly, so you're in the clear.  Right?

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Which likely means it's not verifiable or true.  But hey, you said supposedly, so you're in the clear.  Right?

None of those kids are at their dear father's completely unfair criminal witch-hunt trial, though. If he went to their graduations they're doing him dirty in his hour of need. 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to ask, if this whole affair was such a nothingburger, why did Trump go through the trouble of paying $130k in hush money, and doing it in a manner that is so not on the level that it got his accomplice got what, 3 years for it?  Aren't there legal ways to pay hush money?  And isn't it interesting that of all the 'out in the open" affairs and dishonor of his marriages that Trump pulled over the decades this was the one he apparently wasn't openly proud of?  Ah well, we shall see what shakes out.

It's not the hush money that is illegal; it is the election fraud.

I think back in 2016, Trump's power simply wasn't consolidated to the degree it is now.
Many GOP politicians would have openly criticized him and withdrawn support.
Hard to believe in 2024, with his party in lock step behind him. No more "mavericks."

He'd have lost SOME voters back then, if he'd shot someone on 5th Avenue.  
So paying the hush money made sense, and probably worked.
Also, he still had to go home to Melania, who's likely not happy to
be so publicly shamed.

A few months into his win though, all such danger was past. He was able to stop investigation
into the hush money and undo convictions of cronies like Flynn. Four years later he was
able convince millions the election had been stolen and attempt a coup
--the attempt to circumvent democracy increasing his popularity.

Now, out of office, his party control makes him the most powerful player in the House.
Despite his very open and brazen use of the DOJ to punish enemies and quash investigations,
--before even the attempted coup--all the Buzz now is how Biden weaponized the DOJ.
And we'll have the proof soon. Very soon.
Reply/Quote
They have selected a jury barring any overnight surprises. Tomorrow they start working on the 6 alternates. Opening statements can happen as soon as Monday

Reply/Quote