Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juju Smith Schuster/John Ross
Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm perplexed on how one WR has made a great offense more deadly and the other
Isnt even in the game plan that struggles to score pts consistantly
I'm befuddled
Reply/Quote
The quick answer is that one franchzie has GMs and coaches that aren't there because they own the team and/or will mash their lips against the wingtips of the guy who does own the team and one team does.

AND it's too early to tell, but maybe Jujujujuju Smith is just better than Ross. Dalton is better than Gabbert/Locker/Ponder despite being a 2nd rounder to their 1st, after all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think what we're seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy more than anything. Regardless of Ross' speed and how badly the offense needs another play maker opposite AJ, Marv simply isn't going to put him on the field until he's comfortable he won't make mistakes. Other coaches will live with a first-rounder's (or in the case of Juju a second-rounder) mistakes with the idea that they will make a heck of a lot more plays that help you win games than mistakes that contribute to losses. This is why Mixon didn't start the season with as many touches as he's getting now. It's Marv being Marv to a point of complete stubbornness.
Reply/Quote
Many differences between these two organizations but one big one is Steelers have a great o line and we don't have an o line

It does not matter who plays WR if we cannot run the ball or pass block.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm befuddled

Maybe he's just the better player , or done more to earn the coaches and QB trust at this point.

Right now the John Ross pick is looking like a luxury we did not have. Even if he is as good as his draft pick needs him to be , the injury history makes me nervous that at best he's our next Eifert...sporadic flashes of greatness, too much unavailability

Even if you love his talent - and there are plenty on the board who do- he has not been available and in the limited time he has been available he's done less than Core, Malone and Erickson.

Early days though and in a poor season you'd think they just throw him in at some point to accelerate the learning curve...

..I really don't want Ross to be another player who Hobspin insists is 'basically a rookie' when they are in year 2,3
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
Coverages on Green
I'm befuddled

The Ross pick was a risky pick and an attempt by the team to hit a home run rather than taking the BPA. It's typical of a team that is desperate. I said all of this the day we drafted him. Maybe he'll work out eventually, but clearly he's a project.

Ross was so far from being the BPA in my mind that I really didn't see him going in the top 15. We could have taken a DL man (even though we found some good ones later in the draft), we could have traded down and taken Cam Robinson and/or Forrest Lamp, both of whom would have been an immediate improvement. Does it really matter that much if you over draft a guy who becomes an immediate starter and is a massive upgrade?

Reply/Quote
did ross get more than 1 target last game? I don't get what his role is.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I watched his highlights vs the Lions
It's not he's running complicated routes
Brown is getting Matched up.with the Lions best cover cb.
Schuster is working underneath on drags and slants and that TD for 97 yds was a simple up.the seam route
Behind the Lbers
Mean to tell me Ross cant do what Schuster is doing ??
Reply/Quote
Ju Ju literally makes me sick.

Because he is so damn good.

And he reminds me of Whines.

Reply/Quote
We've taken 4 receivers in the last two years, none have contributed. The Steelers get a future all pro in one try.

Don't blame Ross for the failures of our Front Office. It's not his fault.

The elephant in the room is we haven't drafted good at all the last 5 years. We've drafted known names that give us good draft grades, but the proof is in the pudding (the fall of the Dalton/Green era).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Before the draft I REALLY wanted juju in the second round. I saw every single game he played at USC and I had a good feeling he'd be special in the NFL. After we took Ross at 9 I knew that wasn't happening... But when Pittsburgh drafted him I wanted to puke in my soup (much like when they drafted Decastro immediately after we took f***ing Dre Kirkpatrick Whatever )

Part of me is happy he's doing so well in Pittsburgh and is gaining more and more fans by the day... Another (bigger) part of me hopes the entire Steelees team implodes after this season and he's mired in mediocrity until we can pick him up after his rookie deal expires
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:41 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: did ross get more than 1 target last game? I don't get what his role is.

Marvin is literally too afraid to get Ross the ball. Couldn't tell you why, your guess is as good as mine. I think it has something to do with Marv being a stubborn idiot
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:41 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: did ross get more than 1 target last game? I don't get what his role is.

"Where we're going, we don't need roles..."
[Image: Doc_Brown.JPG]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Maybe JuJu is better? Hard to say yet. I do know that the Steelers are miles better as an organization. They draft players that fit their offense, rather than squeezing square pegs in round holes. They also seem to put players in great position to succeed. Plus we all know that if Schuster were drafted by the Bengals, he wouldn't be having a 193 yard game...he'd be buried on the depth chart fighting for snaps.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I watched  his highlights  vs the Lions
Brown is getting Matched up.with  the Lions best cover cb.
Schuster is working underneath on drags and slants  and that TD for 97 yds was a simple up.the seam route
Behind the Lbers

I liked JJSS as a 2nd round pick if the Bengals didn't go WR in Rd 1. He had solid speed, solid size, runs good routes, and had an expanded route tree. Much like Nelson Agholor and Marqise Lee before him, JJSS is a very solid WR that is a good option for WR2.

Here's an interesting scenario that would hit the same three positions in the first three rounds:
1) Derek Barnett (2.5 sacks with Philly)
2) JuJu Smith-Schuster
3) Kareem Hunt
4) Carl Lawson

While I think you could make an argument that right now it would be better, I think if the draft would have played out that way people would have said at the time that the top three players selected had too low of ceilings and wouldn't improve the team enough. If John Ross could get on the field, he's expected to be electric. If Mixon had an OL worth a damn, he's expected to be just about as good as any RB in that loaded RB class with Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, Kamara, and Hunt. So let's reassess in 2-3 years to see if John Ross and Joe Mixon do end up being better than JJSS and Kareem Hunt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:23 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I think what we're seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy more than anything. Regardless of Ross' speed and how badly the offense needs another play maker opposite AJ, Marv simply isn't going to put him on the field until he's comfortable he won't make mistakes. Other coaches will live with a first-rounder's (or in the case of Juju a second-rounder) mistakes with the idea that they will make a heck of a lot more plays that help you win games than mistakes that contribute to losses. This is why Mixon didn't start the season with as many touches as he's getting now. It's Marv being Marv to a point of complete stubbornness.

Bingo!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe JuJu is better? Hard to say yet. I do know that the Steelers are miles better as an organization. They draft players that fit their offense, rather than squeezing square pegs in round holes. They also seem to put players in great position to succeed. Plus we all know that if Schuster were drafted by the Bengals, he wouldn't be having a 193 yard game...he'd be buried on the depth chart fighting for snaps.

Hell he may even be a healthy scratch. 

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 02:20 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Hell he may even be a healthy scratch. 

For being a rookie and looking at Marv the wrong way.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I watched  his highlights  vs the Lions
Brown is getting Matched up.with  the Lions best cover cb.
Schuster is working underneath on drags and slants  and that TD for 97 yds was a simple up.the seam route
Behind the Lbers

thats stupid. you cant base one play n pencil in the other guy.  Schuster is far superior than Ross in thw game of football.  unless its a track meet most would have picked Ju Ju over Ross.  but not the Bengals.   picked the injured, undersized,  WR .   
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:23 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I think what we're seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy more than anything. Regardless of Ross' speed and how badly the offense needs another play maker opposite AJ, Marv simply isn't going to put him on the field until he's comfortable he won't make mistakes. Other coaches will live with a first-rounder's (or in the case of Juju a second-rounder) mistakes with the idea that they will make a heck of a lot more plays that help you win games than mistakes that contribute to losses. This is why Mixon didn't start the season with as many touches as he's getting now. It's Marv being Marv to a point of complete stubbornness.

Hit the nail on the head.
Reply/Quote