Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 bad and 1 good off-season addition
(06-05-2021, 11:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: People don't feel confident in the RT position beyond 2021, as Carman may be stuck at OG.

Who cares about 2022 right now.  Anything could happen between now and then.  The front office has shown they are willing to spend big money on free agents and we also have the 2022 draft.

If we had given Reiff a long term deal some people would be complaining about that also saying that we should not give long term deals to guys that old.

All I know is that he should be a big upgrade in 2021, and I am happy about that.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who cares about 2022 right now.  Anything could happen between now and then.  The front office have shown they are will to spend big money on free agents and we also have the 2022 draft.

If we had given Reiff a long term deal some people would be complaining about that also saying that we should not give long term deals to guys that old.

All I know is that he should be a big upgrade in 2021, and I am happy about that.

I was happy with the Reiff addition, I was just hoping it was for more than 1 year.
My worry is that the Bengals don't make the playoffs this year, and then the Bengals have to go out and look for another RT next offseason.
With that said, I do like the early-round OTs from the limited research I've done on next year's draft so far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good- Henrickson.. i like his motor and is a better DE against run than Lawson

Bad- Lack of signings for Oline.. Reiff locked in for one year.. great.. might be back to square one after this season, zero other FA Oline signings and mix reviews with Oline draft
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 08:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Good- Henrickson.. i like his motor and is a better DE against run than Lawson

Bad-  Lack of signings for Oline.. Reiff locked in for one year.. great.. might be back to square one after this season, zero other FA Oline signings and mix reviews with Oline draft

Once again this is the year of 1 year deals, keep having to repeat this for some damn reason.

Reiff is in here for Burrow, he plays well he is extended and D'Ante Smith is the perfect man to learn behind him.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to keep my response to players, as I feel that was the spirit of the OP.

Best move: Signing Reilly Reiff and cutting Bobby Hart.

Worst move: Not adding another proven vet to stabilize the OL for Joe Burrow's return.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 09:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to keep my response to players, as I feel that was the spirit of the OP.

Best move:  Signing Reilly Reiff and cutting Bobby Hart.

Worst move:  Not adding another proven vet to stabilize the OL for Joe Burrow's return.

I like Spain and XSF with a full Offseason. Especially if Spain returns to his form earlier in his career.

Don't sleep on the Pancake Man.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was happy with the Reiff addition, I was just hoping it was for more than 1 year.
My worry is that the Bengals don't make the playoffs this year, and then the Bengals have to go out and look for another RT next offseason.
With that said, I do like the early-round OTs from the limited research I've done on next year's draft so far.
My understanding from others is that alot of players did 1 year deals this year because salary cap is going up next year alot.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2021, 10:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Spain and XSF with a full Offseason. Especially if Spain returns to his form earlier in his career.

Don't sleep on the Pancake Man.

Same here,  I'm higher on Spain than most
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:25 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: My understanding from others is that alot of players did 1 year deals this year because salary cap is going up next year alot.

Yes, it was the year of 1 year deals all across the league. Players are playing this year looking for an extension which we
will give to the players that deserve it. Reiff and Hilton being the main players I expect for extensions, bet both have a 
good year especially Reiff. Better use Hilton right though, Lou still is my main question, can he use Hilton right?

Blitz that man.

(06-06-2021, 02:26 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: Same here,  I'm higher on Spain than most

Center is my biggest question on Offense besides our depth at WR.

Trey Hill could be in this conversation, who knows if Hop isn't ready to go come the opener and I don't trust Price.

Maybe with Pollack back Price could up his game big time, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, it was the year of 1 year deals all across the league. Players are playing this year looking for an extension which we
will give to the players that deserve it. Reiff and Hilton being the main players I expect for extensions, bet both have a 
good year especially Reiff. Better use Hilton right though, Lou still is my main question, can he use Hilton right?

Blitz that man.

Center is my biggest question on Offense besides our depth at WR.

Trey Hill could be in this conversation, who knows if Hop isn't ready to go come the opener and I don't trust Price.

Maybe with Pollack back Price could up his game big time, we will see.
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I know at least early on in his career Price was good a center,  it's just he's bad at guard. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 12:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No shit, plus it was the year of 1 year deals all across the league. I take no merit in this, if he plays well we will re-sign him and 
D'Ante Smith is the perfect type of talent to learn behind him. To act like getting Riley Reiff is a bad thing is just insanity.

Did I say outright he was a bad signing... people need to read the post and not just glance at words and assume

(06-05-2021, 10:52 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Moton was Tagged so you couldn't sign him.

Furthermore, there were literally 0 guys like Moton, available at the time (Moses is one such guy, but he only became available last week or whenever).

To say Reiff is a bad signing is obtuse at worst.

Says someone who did not read or understand my post... yet I am the one who is obtuse?

(06-05-2021, 11:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Reiff wasn't a bad signing, but unless he's re-signed, he's a 1-year stopgap.
People don't feel confident in the RT position beyond 2021, as Carman may be stuck at OG.

Wow. Someone read the post and gets it.

BIGGEST ISSUED = OL

We got a middling FA OT and opted for WR in round #1 and then traded back in round #2.

Did we address the line? Not in any way that would signal it is as dire to the coaching staff, as many fans last year wanted.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 02:25 PM)Amalone002 Wrote: My understanding from others is that alot of players did 1 year deals this year because salary cap is going up next year alot.

Yes, I know that was more of a thing this year, but it still is unfortunate regardless.
You don't know who the RT will be beyond this year.
I think Carman will be a fine guard, but the Bengals might need to pursue another RT this next offseason if they don't re-sign Reiff.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 08:42 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: We got a middling FA OT and opted for WR in round #1 and then traded back in round #2.

Did we address the line? Not in any way that would signal it is as dire to the coaching staff, as many fans last year wanted.

We made Reiff one of the top 10 paid RTs in the league and used a top 50 pick in the draft on another O-lineman.  That is a serious investment of resources in the O-line. 

It cracks me up that some fans think that O-line was the ONLY problem we had with our roster.
Reply/Quote
Good: Reiff - Adds experience to the Oline that the young guys can feed off of. 1 year deal is perfect for him and the Bengals, if he does well and its a fit, Bengals can over pay him for a 3 year deal if they want to keep him and he wants to stay, if not, your out nothing, next man up.

Bad: Bernard - Great leader, best blocking back and third down back. Always did a great job at recognizing incoming blitz's which would be for Burrow like having another QB back there with him. Now, I get the reasons to let him walk as well and that was probably the right thing to do, I just think its the one player leaving that the Bengals cant fill that void.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 08:42 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Did I say outright he was a bad signing... people need to read the post and not just glance at words and assume

BIGGEST ISSUED = OL

We got a middling FA OT and opted for WR in round #1 and then traded back in round #2.

Reiff is better than a middling FA OT, he gave up less sacks and had less penalties than both Thuney and Orlando Brown 
last season. I expect us to extend him if he plays well. It was the offseason of 1 year deals. Adding Reiff, Carman, D'Ante
Smith and Trey Hill was addressing the O-line for sure. Maybe not the players or the deals you wanted but it WAS addressed.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2021, 02:56 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Good:  Reiff - Adds experience to the Oline that the young guys can feed off of.  1 year deal is perfect for him and the Bengals, if he does well and its a fit, Bengals can over pay him for a 3 year deal if they want to keep him and he wants to stay, if not, your out nothing, next man up.  

Bad: Bernard - Great leader, best blocking back and third down back.  Always did a great job at recognizing incoming blitz's which would be for Burrow like having another QB back there with him.  Now, I get the reasons to let him walk as well and that was probably the right thing to do, I just think its the one player leaving that the Bengals cant fill that void.

Good points on both players. Hoping Chris Evans can fill the void Gio left behind. Rep and welcome to the boards. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 08:42 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Did I say outright he was a bad signing... people need to read the post and not just glance at words and assume

Says someone who did not read or understand my post... yet I am the one who is obtuse?

BIGGEST ISSUED = OL

Quote:BAD... Riley Reiff

I mean... it's a, "bad offseason addition," according to you, but then you say it isn't?

The mental gymnastics people jump through is just ridiculous...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2021, 08:42 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Did I say outright he was a bad signing...

Yes.

(06-03-2021, 05:43 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: BAD... Riley Reiff
Reply/Quote