Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Imagine This Group of Weapons in the Pass Game
QB - Joe Burrow (100% healthy with a year of experience)
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Tee Higgins
WR - Tyler Boyd
TE - Kyle Pitts

I don't know about the guard and center situation right now, but I know looking this list makes me think of this video...

Reply/Quote
It ain't the off-season without us talking about how amazingly dangerous our pass-catchers are....but this is a bit more convincing than the days Ross, Denarius Moore, Armon Binns, and Rashard Simonize or whatever his name is were the guys we were drooling over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: fca.gif]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: QB - Joe Burrow (100% healthy with a year of experience)
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Tee Higgins
WR - Tyler Boyd
TE - Kyle Pitts

I don't know about the guard and center situation right now, but I know looking this list makes me think of this video...

A running game is important. You shouldn’t want Burrow leading the league in pass attempts once again.
Reply/Quote
I don't know....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/19/kenny-golladay-is-looking-for-18-5-million-per-year/

Or maybe that is what they are clearing space for.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: A running game is important. You shouldn’t want Burrow leading the league in pass attempts once again.

Where did I say I want him to lead the league in pass attempts, or that a running game isn't important?

I said "imagine this group of weapons in the pass game".   Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where did I say I want him to lead the league in pass attempts, or that a running game isn't important?

I said "imagine this group of weapons in the pass game".   Mellow

With golladay, boyd, and Higgins, bengals would lead the league in pass attempts.

Or even if they grab a receiver or TE in the first round, it wouldn’t be worth it.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. He has Adams and Tonyan. Outside of those 2, his weapons aren’t anything special.

But you know why he was the best qb in the league this season, and why the packers were so successful?

Great offensive line and great running game.

Burrow doesn’t need 3 stud pass catchers. He has 2. Just like Rodgers

What burrow needs is a great o-line and help from his running game
Reply/Quote
Honestly Frank. I think the run first offense talk is all talk. Nothing about Zac's play calling gives me the feeling this is a run first offense, and there is nothing wrong with that.

We just need to be able to run when we want to run. And protect.

I think with Burrow, this is a pass heavy offense, and we should just embrace that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Honestly Frank. I think the run game talk is all talk. Nothing about Zac's play calling gives me the feeling this is a run first offense, and there is nothing wrong with that.

We just need to be able to run when we want to run.

I think with Burrow, this is a pass heavy offense, and we should just embrace that.

I don’t believe that. Taylor comes from the Mcvay coaching tree. Mcvay is a run first guy who just happened to have 3 really good receivers. That’s what made the rams so successful on offense.

I believe the bengals passed the ball so much last year is because they knew the run game was crap with the line we had, so might as well just take advantage of our stud qb paired with his 2 stud receivers.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: With golladay, boyd, and Higgins, bengals would lead the league in pass attempts.

Or even if they grab a receiver or TE in the first round, it wouldn’t be worth it.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. He has Adams and Tonyan. Outside of those 2, his weapons aren’t anything special.

But you know why he was the best qb in the league this season, and why the packers were so successful?

Great offensive line and great running game.

Burrow doesn’t need 3 stud pass catchers. He has 2. Just like Rodgers

What burrow needs is a great o-line and help from his running game

1.) Joe Burrow aint Aaron Rodgers.  Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QB's of all time and is a 16 year vet.

2.) Davante Adams is arguably the best receiver in the league, and easily top 5.  Boyd and Higgins are in an enirely different class of receiver.

3.) Again, no one said we can't have a good running game.  We already have a comparable back do we not?

4.) If you want to more help on the OL provide me example of who you want for this year.  Who in FA do you want to slide in at G?  And is your answer someone who prevents from spending on another WR?

If you don't want to improve the 3rd WR, or you're opposed to adding a TE, then that's fine.  But let's not pretend that those of us who do want improvements there are calling for completely ignoring the running game and OL.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t believe that. Taylor comes from the Mcvay coaching tree. Mcvay is a run first guy who just happened to have 3 really good receivers. That’s what made the rams so successful on offense.

3 really good receivers you say?  And they were successful?

Explain to me again why we don't want another stud weapon at WR if we're following the McVay blueprint.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:50 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Joe Burrow aint Aaron Rodgers.  Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QB's of all time and is a 16 year vet.

2.) Davante Adams is arguably the best receiver in the league, and easily top 5.  Boyd and Higgins are in an enirely different class of receiver.

3.) Again, no one said we can't have a good running game.  We already have a comparable back do we not?

4.) If you want to more help on the OL provide me example of who you want for this year.  Who in FA do you want to slide in at G?  And is your answer someone who prevents from spending on another WR?

If you don't want to improve the 3rd WR, or you're opposed to adding a TE, then that's fine.  But let's not pretend that those of us who do want improvements there are calling for completely ignoring the running game and OL.

For a complete back, Mixon hasn’t been that great. Know why? He’s been playing behind crap.

If you want a receiver, you should look for it in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even the 4th.

The o-line is still the number 1 priority here even with the Reiff signing.

A talented qb doesn’t need weapons galore to be great. He needs a great o-line and help from the run game.

A dude like Burrow can make it happen and put up top 10 numbers without having 3 pro bowlers at wide receiver
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 3 really good receivers you say?  And they were successful?

Explain to me again why we don't want another stud weapon at WR if we're following the McVay blueprint.

Rams are a run first team that has a stud o-line. Build the line first, then worry about another pass catcher.

Cincy does not need a first round stud at receiver. We have 2 studs already.

A good number 3 receiver can be had in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round

Or you can sign Hilton for cheap and make him the 3
Reply/Quote
I’m only taking Pitts if Sewell is gone. And if we sign Golloday to a one year deal and Sewell is gone and Chase is available things get interesting.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 1.) The o-line is still the number 1 priority here even with the Reiff signing.

2.)A dude like Burrow can make it happen and put up top 10 numbers without having 3 pro bowlers at wide receiver

1.) Ok.  But since we're talking about this year, and what we can do to improve, what OL are you targeting?

Let's remove Golloday hypothetically signing and give you back, let's say, 12 million dollars to spend on OL in FA.  Who are you signing?  Give me some names.

Let's remove my drafting of Pitts.  Who are you drafting on the OL at #5?  Is it Sewell?  Do you move Jonah inside?  Do you move Sewell inside?  What if Sewell isn't there?

2.) Before we get to the problem of having "3 pro bowlers at wide receiver" shouldn't we at least have 1?  (We have no Pro Bowl Wide Recivers right now)

Look, I understand your point.  The OL is of the utmost importance.  But I'm just trying to have a conversation about how to proceed moving forward with the current team, and with what's currently available.

There's not a lot of options a Guard right now.  Centers are all but gone.  We currently have decent two tackles signed and under contract.  So tell me how you take this money and this draft pick and build out this OL for 2021.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:54 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: For a complete back, Mixon hasn’t been that great. Know why? He’s been playing behind crap.

If you want a receiver, you should look for it in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even the 4th.

The o-line is still the number 1 priority here even with the Reiff signing.

A talented qb doesn’t need weapons galore to be great. He needs a great o-line and help from the run game.

A dude like Burrow can make it happen and put up top 10 numbers without having 3 pro bowlers at wide receiver

I'd agree with you, except- if you put together that core of stupid good receivers- your RB can run all day because no one will stack the line as you'll be able to pick anyone apart.  I do agree though- we can't be done on the line, we need at least a guard to be in there and hopefully return Spain.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:59 PM)lone bengal Wrote: And if we sign Golloday to a one year deal and Sewell is gone and Chase is available things get interesting.

I'm right there with you.  If we don't get a WR in free agency Chase is hard to ignore at #5.

I think the best move there would be to pass on Sewell, draft Chase, and then look for a Guard in the 2nd.  Stick with Jonah and Reiff at T, and pray that 2nd round pick can come in and immediately start at a decent level.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Ok.  But since we're talking about this year, and what we can do to improve, what OL are you targeting?

Let's remove Golloday hypothetically signing and give you back, let's say, 12 million dollars to spend on OL in FA.  Who are you signing?  Give me some names.

Let's remove my drafting of Pitts.  Who are you drafting on the OL at #5?  Is it Sewell?  Do you move Jonah inside?  Do you move Sewell inside?  What if Sewell isn't there?

2.) Before we get to the problem of having "3 pro bowlers at wide receiver" shouldn't we at least have 1?  (We have no Pro Bowl Wide Recivers right now)

Look, I understand your point.  The OL is of the utmost importance.  But I'm just trying to have a conversation about how to proceed moving forward with the current team, and with what's currently available.

There's not a lot of options a Guard right now.  Centers are all but gone.  We currently have decent two tackles signed and under contract.  So tell me how you take this money and this draft pick and build out this OL for 2021.

Pro bowl caliber* because we all know the pro bowl is a popularity contest, and players on smaller market teams get snubbed all the time. Higgins and Boyd are pro bowl caliber. I’m not worried about those 2 at all

If Sewell is gone, sure, you can draft a wr or te there. Though my best case scenario is they find a trade partner to move back with, and grab the other first round tackle people are talking about. If they pull that off, then they can move that guy to guard or Jonah to guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:05 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I'd agree with you, except- if you put together that core of stupid good receivers- your RB can run all day because no one will stack the line as you'll be able to pick anyone apart.  I do agree though- we can't be done on the line, we need at least a guard to be in there and hopefully return Spain.

The elite passing game of KC and Buffalo really hasn’t opened up their running games.

I believe a great run game opens up the passing game

A great passing game really doesn’t open up the run as much
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:47 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t believe that. Taylor comes from the Mcvay coaching tree. Mcvay is a run first guy who just happened to have 3 really good receivers. That’s what made the rams so successful on offense.

I believe the bengals passed the ball so much last year is because they knew the run game was crap with the line we had, so might as well just take advantage of our stud qb paired with his 2 stud receivers.

While Taylor coached under McVay, Taylor is nowhere wear the play caller that McVay is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote