Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Imagine This Group of Weapons in the Pass Game
I wouldn't be shocked to see us double dip in the draft on OL and clean house at OG.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And AJ Green is expected to be back for Week 1, and Joe Mixon is week-to-week.

Trey Hopkins is a 315lb man who tore his ACL just 2.5 months ago (January 3rd, not sure when he had surgery). Even if he is back for Week 1 (call me doubtful), it's highly unlikely he'll be back to 100%, and even 100% Trey Hopkins is just a passable starter. Anything less than 100% Hopkins is a bad starter.

If he's on track to be ready for TC, that leaves a lot of room for a potential setback and him still being ready.  

You make decisions based on the data you have in front of you.  You can argue Joe Burrow could get a MRSA infection in his knee and have his leg amputated, so you should go QB at 5.  You can also argue whoever we take in the first is just going to get injured and miss most of the season, so there's point drafting anyone to fill immediate holes.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sign? There isn't anyone left to sign.

I'd trade out of 5 unless Sewell is there. If Sewell is gone, there will be atleast one or 2 QBs left that people want.

Move down a few spots, take Slater and one G spot is filled. 

Now in the trade you better pick up a 2nd rounder. That 2nd rounder becomes Carman from Clemson who projects better at G then T.

This leaves you the other 2nd, the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and two 7th's to get a WR or TE.

If you give Burrow a stout O-line, he will make those late round WR's look good. Give him time, they'll get open or he will throw them open.

The only thing he can't overcome... is a shitty O-line, and we missed the boat on the FA's that were worth getting at G. Maybe you get Turner and hope he can get it back together, but again I wouldn't want to use hope and prayer when it comes to protecting Burrow's knees.

A healthy season of Burrow is the most important thing. 

Sign Reiter at C. That gives you a solid, dependable Hopkins as a backup and Price is gone. In the trade back, take Slater and then get Carman in the 2nd. 

Williams--Slater--Reiter--Carman--Reiff

Two rookies but i could live with a line like that as they'd have vets on both sides of each of them. Not my preference, but doable. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Quote:You can also argue whoever we take in the first is just going to get injured and miss most of the season, so there's point drafting anyone to fill immediate holes.
That's been the Bengals MO for awhile now.. If you recall...close your eyes and dream back to the good old days of utter disappointment and cussing out your own turds when they drafted an already injured Cedric Ogbuihi.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 05:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ertz fell off a cliff last year.  Pass.

Hmmmm...he was hurt and then came back to Hurts throwing to him and then some QB who wouldn't start in college so they would lose and get better draft position.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30167684/philadelphia-eagles-place-te-zach-ertz-ir-remove-g-matt-pryor-reserve-covid-19-list

He is 30 years old and a steal for 8.2 million versus 6 million for Uzomah and the kicker, in 2022 less than 2 million a year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hmmmm...he was hurt and then came back to Hurts throwing to him and then some QB who wouldn't start in college so they would lose and get better draft position.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30167684/philadelphia-eagles-place-te-zach-ertz-ir-remove-g-matt-pryor-reserve-covid-19-list

He is 30 years old and a steal for 8.2 million versus 6 million for Uzomah and the kicker, in 2022 less than 2 million a year.

He would only be a 1 year rental. 2022 is a "dummy year" that automatically Voids.
Reply/Quote
Forget about Sewell already.The guy didn’t even play last year.He’s only twenty years old.Do you seriously believe he’s going to come in and have an immediate impact.? Yes I believe someday he’ll be a good O-lineman,but this guy could be over-hyped.After they sign Golladay,which appears to be very probable at this time.Then draft Pitts and be done with it.There you have it.Your Offense is ready and waiting.From here on out just focus on defense.Besides that,The Bengals have some up and coming young talent on the O-line that could develop very nicely over the next year.For instance,Adenjii and Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:16 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: He would only be a 1 year rental. 2022 is a "dummy year" that automatically Voids.

Then why is cap hit 3.5 million versus 1.75 (the bonus)

Looks like if voided Eagles have 1.75 million in dead money, so some is guaranteed

Unlike Reiff deal, 0 in 2022 is guaranteed so no dead money for Bengals
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Then why is cap hit 3.5 million versus 1.75 (the bonus)

Looks like if voided Eagles have 1.75 million in dead money, so some is guaranteed

Unlike Reiff deal, 0 in 2022 is guaranteed so no dead money for Bengals

Your guess is as good as mine. There is some money wrapped up for 2022 (from what the team would be hit with) but essentially its a dummy year where is not under contract as per this:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Forget about Sewell already.The guy didn’t even play last year.He’s only twenty years old.Do you seriously believe he’s going to come in and have an immediate impact.? Yes I believe someday he’ll be a good O-lineman,but this guy could be over-hyped.After they sign Golladay,which appears to be very probable at this time.Then draft Pitts and be done with it.There you have it.Your Offense is ready and waiting.From here on out just focus on defense.Besides that,The Bengals have some up and coming young talent on the O-line that could develop very nicely over the next year.For instance,Adenjii hand Johnson.
His fan.club thinks hes going.to come in right away and look
Like Willie Anderson. Not.playing in 16 months is something
Not.to.take lightly. 
Hes not the only OT in.this draft that has his skillset.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 06:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, I don't get that timeline either.  I saw Tyler Dragon (great name btw) report they expected him back by camp and I wondered the same thing.

7 month recovery for an ACL tear on a 300 pound lineman?  That seems like wishful thinking.

It's not the physical repair--it rarely is--it's the mental aspect of all the torquing and pushing he will do against other 300+lb men. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:00 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Your guess is as good as mine. There is some money wrapped up for 2022 (from what the team would be hit with) but essentially its a dummy year where is not under contract as per this:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/

This.

Ertz restructured his deal at some point.  The Eagles have some of that on 2022's books, but this is his last year under contract.

The only thing that follows Ertz to a new team is his base salary, which is 8.5 mil I think.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: After they sign Golladay,which appears to be very probable at this time.

He has signed with the Giants this afternoon.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:14 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Forget about Sewell already.The guy didn’t even play last year.He’s only twenty years old.Do you seriously believe he’s going to come in and have an immediate impact.? Yes I believe someday he’ll be a good O-lineman,but this guy could be over-hyped.After they sign Golladay,which appears to be very probable at this time.Then draft Pitts and be done with it.There you have it.Your Offense is ready and waiting.From here on out just focus on defense.Besides that,The Bengals have some up and coming young talent on the O-line that could develop very nicely over the next year.For instance,Adenjii and Johnson.

Yes.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not the physical repair--it rarely is--it's the mental aspect of all the torquing and pushing he will do against other 300+lb men. 

Yep... Geno Atkins tore his ACL on Halloween of 2013. He was back the following season, but wasn't himself until week 1 of 2015.

I'm not expecting much from Hopkins this year. I don't expect much from him period. The guy's basically been the shiniest turd on a bad unit. Center is a big as question mark as of right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:21 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Geno Atkins tore his ACL on Halloween of 2013. He was back the following season, but wasn't himself until week 1 of 2015.

I'm not expecting much from Hopkins this year. I don't expect much from him period. The guy's basically been the shiniest turd on a bad unit. Center is a big as question mark as of right now.

Yep. That's why i want them to sign Austin Reiter. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. That's why i want them to sign Austin Reiter. 

Yes please. And Spain. Mid level wr and prep for the draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sign Reiter at C. That gives you a solid, dependable Hopkins as a backup and Price is gone. In the trade back, take Slater and then get Carman in the 2nd. 

Williams--Slater--Reiter--Carman--Reiff

Two rookies but i could live with a line like that as they'd have vets on both sides of each of them. Not my preference, but doable. 

That is a line that would keep Burrow safe.

Be amazing to see what he could do with "lesser" skill guys when he had time to see the entire field.

Everyone screaming we need Pitts or Chase... Burrow was putting up great numbers without them last year.

Had Higgins, Boyd, an aging AJ that looked bad, Uzomah till hurt, Sample,  Tate...

Burrow already showed anyone who watched a game last season that Chase and Pitts is not important but guys that can keep him upright are all that matter. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:34 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That is a line that would keep Burrow safe.

Be amazing to see what he could do with "lesser" skill guys when he had time to see the entire field.

Everyone screaming we need Pitts or Chase... Burrow was putting up great numbers without them last year.

Had Higgins, Boyd, an aging AJ that looked bad, Uzomah till hurt, Sample,  Tate...

Burrow already showed anyone who watched a game last season that Chase and Pitts is not important but guys that can keep him upright are all that matter. 

This draft is loaded with off lineman.They can get a good one at top of 2nd rnd.Take Chase at 5.Looks like the Bengals might sign the pro bowl OG,   the Chargers  cut for cap reasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:32 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: This draft is loaded with off lineman.They can get a good one at top of 2nd rnd.Take Chase at 5.Looks like the Bengals might sign the pro bowl OG,   the Chargers  cut for cap reasons.

This draft is even deeper with WR talent.

And if Burrow is protected I'm willing to bet he makes a guy like Josh Imatorbhebhe out of round 6 or 7 look like a stud.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote