Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-25-2019, 05:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: They always tell us this is a depth signing/camp body......

Until the season starts and they are starting.

We can't keep accepting this lazy way of approaching free agent signings. I can't name any other options. But I don't get paid to. The fact none of us get paid to but many named Andre as the option lets you know how pitiful this Scout (singular) department is. Why pay the scout when folks on the board can easily identify their targets.

You can't name any other options because there really aren't any. Tyler Eifert thinks Trent Williams is injury prone, and he wants top OT money. It may seem lazy to bring back Andre, but it ain't a terrible idea. You can say he contributed to our poor line play, but the line was trash with Whitworth in 2016 too. There were games where he got wore out too, but he's all but worshipped by a lot of us.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I've got no problems with bringing Andre Smith in for depth. He's always been a pretty good run blocker, and at least average on Pass. Pro. Is he who we want to roll out there at either starting Tackle position on opening day? Likely not, but he's got a ton of experience, and can handle himself if we need him. However, the gross overreaction by some members is comical to read.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've got no problems with bringing Andre Smith in for depth.  He's always been a pretty good run blocker, and at least average on Pass. Pro.  Is he who we want to roll out there at either starting Tackle position on opening day?  Likely not, but he's got a ton of experience, and can handle himself if we need him.  However, the gross overreaction by some members is comical to read.

Need something to freak out about after the Bengals did exactly what they should've with Tyler Boyd!
Reply/Quote
I thought this was a joke when I saw it on FB. Ok, I guess if we have a bra in the athletic department, suit him up and get it done.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 06:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: How so?
Duke could've suggested it, but Zac would be the one to say yay or nay.
Or it could have been Zac's suggestion in the first place. It's not like quality T's are readily available.
Because we keep signing are old washed up player's 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:59 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Where is the mandatory Smith moobs pic?

Here you go! :andy: 

[Image: andre-smith_crop_exact.jpg?w=320&h=213&q=75]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 08:31 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Here you go! :andy: 

It’s a TRAP!

[Image: latest?cb=20170907053204]

Reply/Quote
C'mon folks.. seriously? Andre Smith isn't chopped liver by any stretch. 330 pound guys strong enough to carry Volkswagen's around just don't grow on trees along the Ohio river.. He's lost a step or two, but makes up for that with experience. If he doesn't pan out then it's off for plan B.. By the way, plan B anyone? An ad in Craigslist for offensive tackles? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
lol half of you need to sit down and shut up.

And I thought people had their panties in a bunch when a local Amber Alert went off this morning (Twitter blew up to death).

So many more important things in life and for this team, then signing someone as a bench player for depth and to fill the void for TC.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Along with signing Andre, they also make the following moves:

Sign:
-LS D. Godsil

Waive:
-K. Whitfield

Place on PUP:
-DB D. Dennard
-DB D. Phillips
-G A. Redmond
-T J. Williams

Active/Non-Football Injury:
-HB R. Anderson

Best news of the day.  This means he has a chance to return this season.
Reply/Quote
WB Andre Smith! We threw a party for you! (Mostly a self-pity party, but hey). 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 09:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol half of you need to sit down and shut up.

And I thought people had their panties in a bunch when a local Amber Alert went off this morning (Twitter blew up to death).

So many more important things in life and for this team, then signing someone as a bench player for depth and to fill the void for TC.

I have watched this movie before. If the Bengals sign or trade for a Trent Williams, we have the crowd blasting the move for different reasons banking on their reason:
Too much money (cap hit)
Injury Prone and too big a risk
Gave up too much

Then wait for him to not be #1 LT in the league so they fulfill self proclaimed prophecy.

Slim pickings right now on the market, and like our Glenn trade last years all players have baggage. Some overcome it and excel while others do not.

Time for training camp so we have new things to discuss. In interim, I agree we all need to chill.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fine. Applaud this lazy approach (I guess Andre Smith is the only Tackle always available, the last 3 years. I don't buy it, but it's sold) and wonder why things don't change. 

In the mean time watch Trent get traded for a 5th round pick.

Trent Williams likely isn't getting traded.  You realize the skins have Erick Flowers as their starting LT right now?  Even if they did, we aren't going to have money to give him the deal he wants after reupping Boyd.

What do you expect them to do?  It's the eve of TC.  All that's available are has beens, never was's, and camp meat CFA's.  Pretty much any team that loses two of their top four T's is going to be in the same boat.  Nobody's jumping for joy over it, but that's just the reality.
Reply/Quote
Welcome back Andre 350!!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't have an issue with the signing at this point in time. It was the only move to make. My issue is the laziness of the front office to have to keep coming back to the old washed up guys every year. With 1 injury at tackle we are back to this crap. They knew the tackle situation at draft and free agency time and sat on there butts. Yes they drafted Williams but that was just enough to have 2 starters
Reply/Quote

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Andre Smith was looking for a team to sign him.
the Bengals had a critical need for a 3rd OT with NFL games under his belt.
Smith has played in 110 games in his career.
hes played on playoff teams.
can any other current olineman claim that?
he comes at a very affordable price.
win for both sides.
Reply/Quote

Tell me please, how am I supposed to unsee that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 06:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: trent aint reporting till he gets a new mega contract...

If only the Bengals had cap room
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
SSDD

Reply/Quote