Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-26-2019, 07:39 AM)TopSix Wrote: If he could still play at an adequate level, another nfl franchise that is competent and not a laughingstock bottom feeder, like the bengals, would have signed him.

It’s like you think they have some magic free agent portal that only gives them repeat access to Andre smith.

There’s a reason why the biggest joke franchise in sports is the only team who wants him

He was pretty bad last year with Arizona and they waived him. He didn't really play much here.

It's not like free agency is loaded with starting Tackles at this point. We're in a bad spot...and he's about the best 3rd Tackle we can get.

We're mainly in a bad spot because we signed Hart to be a starter though anyways.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:39 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Beat me to it, the annual TC Eve sky is falling rants...... I would say there is a good chance Smith isn't even on the team come wk #1. But hey, lets lose our minds....

Let's hope this turns out like 2011 where our roster looked to have a lot of flaws going into camp and we made the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:51 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Tobin? This has Brown family written all over it. "Who could we get now without spending much?" is probably they question they sat around and asked each other. Then one of them remembered they'd been here before and Andre's name popped out of their memory.

Yeah, right, it could not have had ANYTHING to do with the fact that he was on our roster last year.

There is not a single unsigned tackle out there that anyone would be thrilled with.  We signed Smith because he was here and played with these guys just last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was pretty bad last year with Arizona and they waived him. He didn't really play much here.

It's not like free agency is loaded with starting Tackles at this point. We're in a bad spot...and he's about the best 3rd Tackle we can get.

We're mainly in a bad spot because we signed Hart to be a starter though anyways.

We're mainly in a bad spot because Williams and Boling aren't able to play.
I would have been totally cool if it would have been Williams and Boling as the starters at OT with Glenn and Hart backing up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's only 32. He has shown the ability to play well, so it's not like he's always been nothing but a bum.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: We're mainly in a bad spot because Williams and Boling aren't able to play.
I would have been totally cool if it would have been Williams and Boling as the starters at OT with Glenn and Hart backing up.

Yep. Hart as a backup would have been great.

Who knows if they would have considered Boling at Tackle.

I think the line I liked was:

Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn

Miller or Westerman compete for starting spot in camp.

Then the primary backups would be Hart at Tackle. Hopkins at C. And Westerman or Miller at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Hart as a backup would have been great.

Who knows if they would have considered Boling at Tackle.

I think the line I liked was:

Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn

Miller or Westerman compete for starting spot in camp.

Then the primary backups would be Hart at Tackle. Hopkins at C. And Westerman or Miller at Guard.

One does have to wonder if the reason they tried moving Glenn to LG is because they wanted Hart at RT or whether they don't think Glenn will actually be a decent-or-better RT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One does have to wonder if the reason they tried moving Glenn to LG is because they wanted Hart at RT or whether they don't think Glenn will actually be a decent-or-better RT.

Indeed. I know what my opinion is and that is that Glenn is better than Hart.

But, they might think Glenn could be a good Guard as he's lost something physically over the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 07:03 AM)TopSix Wrote: Lol. You said no harm 3 times  trying to defend this hilarious move

Stop it. You don't know Kevin. He repeats himself numerous times over and over again more than once all the time.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe if you backed up your opinions with facts others would not see you as a troll.

This guy posts on Redszone.com with the exact same shtick. I get it - I'm a Reds/Bengals fan too - but this guy makes even me look downright giddy. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would probably prefer someone like Penn or Parnell over Andre Smith, but I'd rather have an aged Andre Smith over Kent Perkins, Keaton Sutherland, or O'Shea Dugas. Even with Andre Smith, the Bengals still need another OT, so keep a lookout for camp cuts.

Good way to look at it. Maybe one of the 2 newbies show that they can play the position well in camp and we can jettison Smith with a late preseason pick up.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right, it could not have had ANYTHING to do with the fact that he was on our roster last year.

There is not a single unsigned tackle out there that anyone would be thrilled with.  We signed Smith because he was here and played with these guys just last year.

True, there might not be any unsigned tackles out there anyone would be thrilled with but if the Bengals FO was hell bent on upgrading at right tackle there are ways of doing it. You dangle some future high draft picks at someone, you'll most likely you'll get the help you need. I don't like the idea of trading picks anymore than Mike Brown does, but with injuries and retirements, the Bengals are in dire straights. I think the only thing holding our offense back is/was the poor OL play. I think our offense is playoff caliber, we have a good QB, running backs, and receivers, but without a good line were screwed. I'm tired of building for the future, the future is NOW! I'm not a season ticket holder, but go to games, and would be inclined to go to more games if the Bengals, would get out of there comfort zone and did what needs to be done. I know they did try to address the line through the draft but injuries happen. Time for a plan "B".
Reply/Quote
Folks keep blaming fans for not knowing a better replacement but again it's not our job. The fact (I'll repeat) that many had Andre pegged as the signing does beg to question what does our scout do if we have equal knowledge of available options for the Bengals? MB should just save money on having a scout and read the board.

Even after 24 hours I agree with all the reports and when this news was released, this was a typical (lazy) approach by the FO.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:00 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: True, there might not be any unsigned tackles out there anyone would be thrilled with but if the Bengals FO was hell bent on upgrading at right tackle there are ways of doing it. You dangle some future high draft picks at someone, you'll most likely you'll get the help you need. I don't like the idea of trading picks anymore than Mike Brown does, but with injuries and retirements, the Bengals are in dire straights. I think the only thing holding our offense back is/was the poor OL play. I think our offense is playoff caliber, we have a good QB, running backs, and receivers, but without a good line were screwed. I'm tired of building for the future, the future is NOW! I'm not a season ticket holder, but go to games, and would be inclined to go to more games if the Bengals, would get out of there comfort zone and did what needs to be done. I know they did try to address the line through the draft but injuries happen. Time for a plan "B".

Training Camp is just getting started.  There is still time to do the things you suggest.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Basically anyone who is mad about this is really mad that the Bengals didn't do more in start of FA and the draft to address OT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Basically anyone who is mad about this is really mad that the Bengals didn't do more in start of FA and the draft to address OT.

Bingo! This is exactly it. You get it sir! This was the best move for now but there was no plan. Everything was riding on no injuries.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:00 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: True, there might not be any unsigned tackles out there anyone would be thrilled with but if the Bengals FO was hell bent on upgrading at right tackle there are ways of doing it. You dangle some future high draft picks at someone, you'll most likely you'll get the help you need. I don't like the idea of trading picks anymore than Mike Brown does, but with injuries and retirements, the Bengals are in dire straights. I think the only thing holding our offense back is/was the poor OL play. I think our offense is playoff caliber, we have a good QB, running backs, and receivers, but without a good line were screwed. I'm tired of building for the future, the future is NOW! I'm not a season ticket holder, but go to games, and would be inclined to go to more games if the Bengals, would get out of there comfort zone and did what needs to be done. I know they did try to address the line through the draft but injuries happen. Time for a plan "B".

I agree that it appears this year anther season could be wasted because a weak O-line held back a team with talent at a lot of other positions.

The Bengals owners are not really stupid, or, let's say "as stupid as some think". Mike Brown just insist on almost always looking "long term" instead of sacrificing the future to win now.  Fans generally want to "win now".  Coaches and general managers jobs usually depend on them "winning now".  But the overall health of the organization is more in favor of doing what is best "long term".

And that is why we are screwed having the owners make the general manager type decisions.

Plus they just are not that "football smart".  Their "plan" is often not that bad.  They just execute it poorly.  For example, I understand letting Whit walk and using a first round pick to replace him.  That is what a lot of the best teams do.  The Bengals just made a huge mistake by picking Ogbuehi.

Other owners have other businesses to keep them occupied.  The Browns have nothing else to do.  But not only is the team all they have, it is also a family legacy started by the legendary patriarch Paul Brown.  So I don't see anything changing for a long time. I don't think there is another team like them in all of professional sports.  The only really good thing about it is that we will never have to play in Poulan Weedeater Stadium.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Basically anyone who is mad about this is really mad that the Bengals didn't do more in start of FA and the draft to address OT.

(07-26-2019, 02:26 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Bingo! This is exactly it. You get it sir! This was the best move for now but there was no plan. Everything was riding on no injuries.

We used a first and a 4th round pick on O-line.  So you can't act like they just ignored it.  

I am not saying a thing to defend the Hart contract, but I think most people consider Miller an upgrade over Redmond.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We used a first and a 4th round pick on O-line.  So you can't act like they just ignored it.  

I am not saying a thing to defend the Hart contract, but I think most people consider Miller an upgrade over Redmond.

I'm not acting like they ignored it. I acknowledge they saw deficiency on the OL. I was ecstatic that Jonah Williams was the pick. I also know there were talks of the Bengals taking another OT in Rd 2 if guys like Little, Risner, or Ford were still there when the Bengals picked.

What they didn't do was get another OT aside from drafting Williams and re-signing Hart, therefore depending on the health of Williams, Hart, Glenn, and probably even Boling since they usually have 4 people on the roster who can play OT. Had they drafted or signed another OT earlier, maybe they'd be in a better situation than where they are now with Glenn, Hart, Andre, and ???
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Folks keep blaming fans for not knowing a better replacement but again it's not our job. The fact (I'll repeat) that many had Andre pegged as the signing does beg to question what does our scout do if we have equal knowledge of available options for the Bengals? MB should just save money on having a scout and read the board.

Even after 24 hours I agree with all the reports and when this news was released, this was a typical (lazy) approach by the FO.

Interesting.  So you're blaming the Bengals for not finding a better replacement and don't even know if a better option exists?  I guess you should be bashing the FO of the other 31 teams for not signing this quality OT that's just sitting there as camps are starting, too.
Reply/Quote