Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-26-2019, 02:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Folks keep blaming fans for not knowing a better replacement but again it's not our job. The fact (I'll repeat) that many had Andre pegged as the signing does beg to question what does our scout do if we have equal knowledge of available options for the Bengals? MB should just save money on having a scout and read the board.

What is your point.  I thought we might sign Dre because that is often what all NFL teams do.  When they need a player they look at guys they are familiar with first.

You are simply going through some mental gymnastics to make this a bad move by the Bengals.

"I can prove that any unsigned player is crap because if he was good another team would have signed him.  Now excuse me while I shit on the Bengals for not signing one of the good unsigned players out there."
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 03:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Smith would have been out of the league 3 years ago if it wasn't for the Bengals. A college free agent can hold their own better than Andre can at this stage of his "career".

He's played for the Vikings and Cardinals in the last 3 years.  Mellow

I'm not thrilled by any means, but Andre is better than what we have. There's no denying that.

I'd still prefer we look at Tackles that get cut (I'm sure some will be better), but with Andre on board, I doubt that happens.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Im not sure why everyone is so upset when this team needs offensive tackle help immediately. He is not a guaranteed starter but he will definitely help with depth. Yes he is not my choice to sign but he is better than some of the players available. Everyone complains about the Bengals not adding depth for offensive tackle but when they add someone they are familiar with then they complain more. You cant have it both ways. This is just the beginning of training camp and they need bodies to fill the roster and Im sorry but Andre is better than what we have currently at RT and he could very well beat out Hart. Everyone needs to relax and let this play out to see what happens because there is still a good chance they either trade for a quality tackle or find one when they are cut from another team. But honestly the offensive tackle position is very thin right now so we should appreciate that at least the Bengals are trying to get some type of depth at the position going into training camp.
Reply/Quote
Boy, it sure is great that Andre Smith was this year's over all number one pick in the draft..  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: Interesting.  So you're blaming the Bengals for not finding a better replacement and don't even know if a better option exists?  I guess you should be bashing the FO of the other 31 teams for not signing this quality OT that's just sitting there as camps are starting, too.

This doesn't even make sense. Who said the 31 other teams need a quality OT? The ones that did loaded up on them in Free Agency. Again why put us in the same category as those getting paid millions to scout? If it was my job I could so yes I'm blaming them for not knowing more options then the one option folks on the message board who don't have access to scouts knew of.

Again. Why pay a scout when you have this board?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right, it could not have had ANYTHING to do with the fact that he was on our roster last year.

There is not a single unsigned tackle out there that anyone would be thrilled with.  We signed Smith because he was here and played with these guys just last year.

Yep, instead of trying to trade for someone better let's just find someone we are familiar with. That's so logical. NOT

I'm not saying that such a trade would easy to do, particularly if the tackle is decent. However, the Pat's were able to do that last season and they ended up getting a year of really good play out of Brown, plus a 5th round pick to boot and it cost them delaying a 3rd round pick which they gave up in 2018 and they're getting a 3rd round pick back in 2020.

Who am I to expect our front office to try and be better, or even as good as, the Pat's? Heck, I'm only a fan.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 02:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not acting like they ignored it. I acknowledge they saw deficiency on the OL. I was ecstatic that Jonah Williams was the pick. I also know there were talks of the Bengals taking another OT in Rd 2 if guys like Little, Risner, or Ford were still there when the Bengals picked.

What they didn't do was get another OT aside from drafting Williams and re-signing Hart, therefore depending on the health of Williams, Hart, Glenn, and probably even Boling since they usually have 4 people on the roster who can play OT. Had they drafted or signed another OT earlier, maybe they'd be in a better situation than where they are now with Glenn, Hart, Andre, and ???

They drafted two high quality OL.  It's not their fault that Jonah got injured and Boling chose to retire.  What?  Did you expect them to just spend the entire draft on OL, and ignore good players available at other positions?

And, before anyone brings up any of the grossly overpaid guys that we didn't get in FA, just stop.  We have already done well in extending Tyler Boyd, and I fully expect AJ Green to get re-upped as well.  So, the team seems to have a plan for it's funds.

Cordy Glenn isn't "great" by any stretch, but he'll be "fine" for this season.  Andre Smith isn't who we want starting, but he's damn good insurance if Glenn or Hart get injured.  Then, you have to factor that other guys will get cut in camp.  This roster isn't anywhere near complete.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 07:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They drafted two high quality OL.  It's not their fault that Jonah got injured and Boling chose to retire.  What?  Did you expect them to just spend the entire draft on OL, and ignore good players available at other positions?

And, before anyone brings up any of the grossly overpaid guys that we didn't get in FA, just stop.  We have already done well in extending Tyler Boyd, and I fully expect AJ Green to get re-upped as well.  So, the team seems to have a plan for it's funds.

Cordy Glenn isn't "great" by any stretch, but he'll be "fine" for this season.  Andre Smith isn't who we want starting, but he's damn good insurance if Glenn or Hart get injured.  Then, you have to factor that other guys will get cut in camp.  This roster isn't anywhere near complete.

I personally have no problems with this year's draft. I really like the Williams pick and Jordan was a very good pick for where they got him.

But, my concern is that this is all the front office is going to do with tackles. I could be wrong and they do plan on adding another tackle, but years of experience with this team tells me that this may just be all she wrote.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 07:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep, instead of trying to trade for someone better let's just find someone we are familiar with. That's so logical. NOT

I'm not saying that such a trade would easy to do, particularly if the tackle is decent. However, the Pat's were able to do that last season and they ended up getting a year of really good play out of Brown, plus a 5th round pick to boot and it cost them delaying a 3rd round pick which they gave up in 2018 and they're getting a 3rd round pick back in 2020.

Who am I to expect our front office to try and be better, or even as good as, the Pat's? Heck, I'm only a fan.

Do I wish the Bengals would do more?  Yes. 

Does that mean there are reasonable deals out there?  I don't know.  

Does using hindsight to find a trade among the other 31 teams that worked in the past prove that there is a deal to be made now?  Absolutely not.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 07:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: But, my concern is that this is all the front office is going to do with tackles. I could be wrong and they do plan on adding another tackle, but years of experience with this team tells me that this may just be all she wrote.

It could be all they do, but it might not.

I am already working on my spin.  How does this sound?  "The Bengals have three OTs under contract who were starters in the NFL last year."
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 07:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I personally have no problems with this year's draft. I really like the Williams pick and Jordan was a very good pick for where they got him.

But, my concern is that this is all the front office is going to do with tackles. I could be wrong and they do plan on adding another tackle,
 but years of experience with this team tells me that this may just be all she wrote.

Maybe this is the year that things are just a little different?  I'm not ready to write off the possibility of them attaining another/better man to play the Swing Tackle role.  And, if they do, and Andre Smith remains to be the 4th Tackle?  That's not a bad depth situation to be in.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It could be all they do, but it might not.

I am already working on my spin.  How does this sound?  "The Bengals have three OTs under contract who were starters in the NFL last year."

How about this spin. “ the Bengals have three OTs under contract that were trash last year “.
Reply/Quote
I liked the Williams drafting I think he’s gonna be solid going forward, but I still thought we didn’t do enough to pick up a decent OT. For 3 million more a year than Hart we could have gotten someone good.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 08:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: How about this spin.  “ the Bengals have three OTs under contract that were trash last year “.

Except they weren't trash.  They were victims of the Mavin Lewis coaching regime, they were at a disadvantage from the get-go.  Let's just continue to go with The Bengals have 3 OTs that were starters in the NFL last season.  That way it at least gives the new coaching staff a fighting chance to show what they are worth..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As some posters have already stated, I'm fine with Smith being signed for depth purposes. I'm not fine if this ends up being the only move they make. Taylor and Callahan have said they'll be looking for options on the trade block and when teams starting cutting down. Let's hope that's not just coach speak.

Some people will bring up that he wasn't good last year but I'm willing to bet that Donald Penn has more in the tank than Smith does and could even beat out Hart. I can't imagine he'd be too pricey to sign.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It could be all they do, but it might not.

Ogbuehi has been a starter, but would you count him?

I just hope they decide to do more. Will they? Who knows.

(07-26-2019, 08:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe this is the year that things are just a little different?  I'm not ready to write off the possibility of them attaining another/better man to play the Swing Tackle role.  And, if they do, and Andre Smith remains to be the 4th Tackle?  That's not a bad depth situation to be in.

Maybe, but other than the change in coaches this year, little has changed. Andre as a 4th tackle would be good. Andre as the starting LT with a Glenn injury would not be. Remember we don't have Boling to be that go-to guy that steps in at LT.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 09:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ogbuehi has been a starter, but would you count him?

I just hope they decide to do more. Will they? Who knows.

Maybe, but other than the change in coaches this year, little has changed.
Andre as a 4th tackle would be good. Andre as the starting LT with a Glenn injury would not be. Remember we don't have Boling to be that go-to guy that steps in at LT.

Change in coaches is no small thing.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Change in coaches is no small thing.  

Right

And not only is it just a new HC, it's basically the entire staff. Very big thing !
Reply/Quote
It's obvious that this OL is in major trouble. We can see it. The front office can see it. I rarely support the front office, but at least they're making some moves because even they know this OL could absolutely ruin this team no matter how many playmakers and new coaches we have.

If we need Andre back, you know there is major problems. Let's hope he can help.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 09:06 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: As some posters have already stated, I'm fine with Smith being signed for depth purposes. I'm not fine if this ends up being the only move they make. Taylor and Callahan have said they'll be looking for options on the trade block and when teams starting cutting down. Let's hope that's not just coach speak.

Some people will bring up that he wasn't good last year but I'm willing to bet that Donald Penn has more in the tank than Smith does and could even beat out Hart. I can't imagine he'd be too pricey to sign.

I doubt that some great starting Tackle frees up and comes here.

It is what it is at this point in the season. You improve your team through the draft and free agency. After those, it's really hard.
Reply/Quote