Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Lazy: Andre Smith Returns
(07-26-2019, 09:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

And not only is it just a new HC, it's basically the entire staff. Very big thing !

Yes, the "casual" fans don't get it.  The team (The Brown/Blackburn family) entrusted in Marvin Lewis for 16 years.  That's a long time, by NFL modern standards.  So, for them to dismiss Marvin, hire a young up and comer, allow him to dismiss as much of the old staff as he wished, and bring in his own hires is big.  That's especially big by Bengals' standards.  

Gawd, I hate to use "seniority", but those of us who have been around since before the Bengals ever played in a Super Bowl are likely the only ones to really see the gravity of Marvin Lewis getting ousted in favor of the young up and comer that is Zac Taylor.  Most of today's Bengal fans weren't around for Forest Gregg or Sam Wyche.  To those fans, those coaches are just "folklore".  Here's to Zac Taylor making modern Bengal folklore, much the way Forest Gregg and Sam Wyche did.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, the "casual" fans don't get it.  The team (The Brown/Blackburn family) entrusted in Marvin Lewis for 16 years.  That's a long time, by NFL modern standards.  So, for them to dismiss Marvin, hire a young up and comer, allow him to dismiss as much of the old staff as he wished, and bring in his own hires is big.  That's especially big by Bengals' standards.  

Gawd, I hate to use "seniority", but those of us who have been around since before the Bengals ever played in a Super Bowl are likely the only ones to really see the gravity of Marvin Lewis getting ousted in favor of the young up and comer that is Zac Taylor.  Most of today's Bengal fans weren't around for Forest Gregg or Sam Wyche.  To those fans, those coaches are just "folklore".  Here's to Zac Taylor making modern Bengal folklore, much the way Forest Gregg and Sam Wyche did.

It's definitely unprecedented change from the past decade and a half.

Will it be good change? Or bad change? Time will tell.

The con is that the same management team is still in place.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's definitely unprecedented change from the past decade and a half.

I tend to believe that the "management team" also realized that there was something that they weren't doing right, as well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to believe that the "management team" also realized that there was something that they weren't doing right, as well.

I don't know. Hiring a new coach and mostly new staff was great...but they tanked in free agency. With $50+ million in cap space, they somehow managed to spend and the only minor upgrade was Miller.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Change in coaches is no small thing.  

I look at it like drafting a new QB, who might have shown something in college, but now he's playing with the big boys and it's a whole different world. It's not like we brought in a proven winner or even sorta winner, at any level. It's a total gamble that may very well pay off big for years to come or we all may be begging Marvin to return after this season. Who really knows?

But to go into the off season with glaring needs and to only do a partial job on it doesn't really help out this new coach.

All of that said, I do believe the team will surprise this year, and in a good way. I just don't know how long it will last into the season.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2019, 10:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's definitely unprecedented change from the past decade and a half.

Maybe the leash is a bit shorter for a rookie HC or management is more hands on, whatever you want to call it.  But success will lengthen the leash. Of course, for all we knows this could be exactly how Zac wants it and no one is forcing themselves on him at all.  The thing about a plan of battle is, you can't know how good of a plan it is until you're in battle.  All you can do is hope he knows what he's doing.  I think he does.  He's got the qualities, imo.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 12:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: we all may be begging Marvin to return after this season. Who really knows?

Freakout

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 12:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote:  we all may be begging Marvin to return after this season. Who really knows?

Nah, I think we all had our fill of what Marvin could do with this team.  I don't hold any ill sentiments towards Marvin Lewis, and I wish him well in his future ventures, but I'll never be pining for the days when he was our coach.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 12:28 AM)McC Wrote: Maybe the leash is a bit shorter for a rookie HC or management is more hands on, whatever you want to call it.  But success will lengthen the leash. Of course, for all we knows this could be exactly how Zac wants it and no one is forcing themselves on him at all.  The thing about a plan of battle is, you can't know how good of a plan it is until you're in battle.  All you can do is hope he knows what he's doing.  I think he does.  He's got the qualities, imo.

I have read several articles where he meets with Bengals management EVERY day.

I wonder if that's a common arrangement in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nah, I think we all had our fill of what Marvin could do with this team.  I don't hold any ill sentiments towards Marvin Lewis, and I wish him well in his future ventures, but I'll never be pining for the days when he was our coach.

I totally agree with that.

I read an old article on the Marvin coaching search a while back and re: Tom Coughlin, he supposedly told people close to him that he wondered if any coach could win the way the Bengals were setup. He also wanted to change things (ie hire a GM) to come here.

Well we know Coughlin didn't come and Marvin did. We know the management structure stayed the same basically.

Marvin did atleast make the team respectable during the regular season. Who knows? That may be about the best anyone can do here? Although 7 cracks at the playoffs, you'd think we'd win one by accident atleast.
Reply/Quote
re: Andre Smith - It's not a bad move. It's not like he's Bobbie Hart level bad. Andre has been an above average to good Tackle most of his career.

He has declined some lately. Whether that's scheme. Bouncing around from team to team. Not being in the greatest physical shape, etc. But for a backup, he's a pretty solid option. He also may be better than Hart. And he has a ton of experience should he need to play.
Reply/Quote
Andre knows the perfect Gatorade mix to water ratio.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: To anyone upset by this, please list the better available alternatives.  

If he's starting on opening day, then maybe we have a problem.

This.  OL do not grow on trees.  Worst case if needed for depth he should at least be able to still plow forward.
Reply/Quote
Andre, by all accounts, is in as good a shape as he has ever been, and has the knowledge and experience to hold down the right tackle position. All they whining about Hart, well, here's an upgrade. Yeah, he's old, but he's an upgrade, and if he shows he can still play at a high level, then that gets us through till next years draft. Complain, complain, complain. If nothing else, he's depth at tackle and guard, which we need.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 12:10 AM)BengalChris Wrote: But to go into the off season with glaring needs and to only do a partial job on it doesn't really help out this new coach.

In the 2011 off season the front office proved that they saw a need for help at OG when they signed Duce Latui.  But when he failed his physical they never made a move for another decent OG. After the season we let Nate walk and used a first round pick on Zeitler.

I think the Bengals were expecting a "mulligan" season in 2011 with a rookie second round pick starting at QB and a new OC who had not had any offseason to install his offense due to the players strike.  I get the feel that is what they are doing this year.  They figure they have bought an "off year" with the hiring of a new coach.
Reply/Quote
I mean... i bet he plays better than hart
Reply/Quote
This moves is as hilarious as when the reds brought back arroyo a few years ago

Cincy sports love a familiar face, at the tail end of their careers for one last chance to revive.
Reply/Quote
on the 3rd day I've come to the it could have been Fisher stage of acceptance.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 07:11 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I mean... i bet he plays better than hart

I doubt he's here to replace Hart. Can he play LT or LG?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2019, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the 2011 off season the front office proved that they saw a need for help at OG when they signed Duce Latui.  But when he failed his physical they never made a move for another decent OG. After the season we let Nate walk and used a first round pick on Zeitler.

I think the Bengals were expecting a "mulligan" season in 2011 with a rookie second round pick starting at QB and a new OC who had not had any offseason to install his offense due to the players strike.  I get the feel that is what they are doing this year.  They figure they have bought an "off year" with the hiring of a new coach.

The problem with having a mulligan year is a guy like Green will be 32 next year. Atkins and Dunlap are around the same age. Our best players are at the end of their primes.
Reply/Quote