Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just my evaluation right now
(10-09-2018, 01:24 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Let me ask you this, and anyone else who sees this can weigh in.

When Burfict made the interception, in the 2015 Wild Card game, with 1:36 left, on the Steelers 28 yard line, with the Bengals ahead by one point,
how many fans here do you think, thought:

1.  That's the game.  Finally a playoff victory?

2.  That's good, but hold the celebration because these are the Bengals.  I want to wait until the clock reads 0:00, the Bengals are still at least a point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field?

If I told you I was the number 2, would that have been negative thinking or seeing things as a realist based upon their history.

re·al·ist

ˈrēəlist/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who accepts a situation as it is and is prepared to deal with it accordingly.
    "I am a realist, with no time for your world of make believe"

WTF

Maybe it's really this?

pes·si·mist

ˈpesəməst/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.
    "the pessimists point to ways in which life has deteriorated"

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: re·al·ist

ˈrēəlist/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who accepts a situation as it is and is prepared to deal with it accordingly.
    "I am a realist, with no time for your world of make believe"

WTF

Maybe it's really this?

pes·si·mist

ˈpesəməst/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.
    "the pessimists point to ways in which life has deteriorated"

Is #2 being a realist??  How did you react?  Don't be scared.

Let me guess, I say you were #1. Probably online trying to get playoff and plane tickets to the next game??
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:33 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Enlighten me how #2 is NOT being a realist.

Because REALISTICALLY the game ends after that interception. It is NOT realistic to expect Jeremy Hill to fumble on the very next play. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:33 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Enlighten me how #2 is NOT being a realist.

Ask the Eagle fan "Realist" who said they could not win the Super Bowl last year.  Or ask the Bengal fan "realists" who claimed we would not make the playoffs in 2011.

Their opinion had nothing to do with reality because in reality they were wrong.

Like I said before you can be as negative as you want.  Just don't call it being a "realist".  
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask the Eagle fan "Realist" who said they could not win the Super Bowl last year.  Or ask the Bengal fan "realists" who claimed we would not make the playoffs in 2011.

Their opinion had nothing to do with reality because in reality they were wrong.

Like I said before you can be as negative as you want.  Just don't call it being a "realist".  

Deal with this post Freddie:

Let me ask you this, and anyone else who sees this can weigh in.

When Burfict made the interception, in the 2015 Wild Card game, with 1:36 left, on the Steelers 28 yard line, with the Bengals ahead by one point,

2.  That's good, but hold the celebration because these are the Bengals.  I want to wait until the clock reads 0:00, the Bengals are still at least a point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field?

If I told you I was the number 2, would that have been negative thinking or seeing things as a realist based upon their history.
Reply/Quote
Ummm you can be optimistic or pessimistic and still be a realist.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because REALISTICALLY the game ends after that interception. It is NOT realistic to expect Jeremy Hill to fumble on the very next play. 

So #2 is NOT being a realist?  To wait before celebrating, based upon Bengals history?

Please don't tell me you were online getting plane and playoff tickets for the next game AFTER the interception!!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Ummm you can be optimistic or pessimistic and still be a realist.

Hoping for the best, and expecting the worst is a realist when it comes to this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:03 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Deal with this post Freddie:

I just did deal with it.  The fact that you were right that time does not make you a "realist".  Instead it makes you a "pessimist".

Now deal with the examples I gave you.  How can someone claim to be a "realist" when their opinion does not happen in reality.

I am not saying you don't have  the right to be a pessimist or to be negative.  But you don't have the right to claim you are a "realist".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:03 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Deal with this post Freddie:

Number 2 is an pessimistic view of an outcome that hasn't happened. 

After it happens and you accept it is being a realist. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:05 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Hoping for the best, and expecting the worst is a realist when it comes to this franchise.

Again your view of a future event is optimistism or pessimism. 

Accepting what has happened AFTER the fact is realisim. 

It really isn't that hard to understand.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: So #2 is NOT being a realist?  To wait before celebrating, based upon Bengals history?

When was the last time the Bengals lost a game when leading with less than 2 minutes to go in the game and having just intercepted the other team's QB?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: When was the last time the Bengals lost a game when leading with less than 2 minutes to go in the game and having just intercepted the other team's QB?

That's not answering the question. Don't be scared.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: That's not answering the question. Don't be scared.

In REALITY Bengals have won playoff games before.

Now answer Phils question.

(10-09-2018, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: When was the last time the Bengals lost a game when leading with less than 2 minutes to go in the game and having just intercepted the other team's QB?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:10 PM)Synric Wrote: Again your view of a future event is optimistism or pessimism. 

Accepting what has happened AFTER the fact is realisim. 

It really isn't that hard to understand.

So those who say Dalton will never win a SB, BASED on what has happened since 2011 (Daltons history) are ... ?

Also, waiting to celebrate until the game is over, as opposed to after Burficts pick basing it on seeing them shoot themself in the foot countless times is what?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not cool to be negative here.

The term "realist" does not apply because you have no idea what this team will "really" do.  Too many times I have seen the Bengals make the playoffs when the "realist" said they would not.  And ask Philly fans how much "realist" know about "reality".

I don't mind you being negative.  As  Bengal fan you have the right to have a negative outlook.  Just call it what it is and stop using the term "realist".

You still don't get it, even after i already explained it to you. You keep taking one or two examples that don't even fit and making a point that's not really a point. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 26 years. That's "reality". That's what most Bengals fans base the negativity on, and it doesn't negate the "reality" of the situation. 

I don't really care to have a discussion about this again because we've already had several. The most salient point is, past results don't predict future performance. This team can make the playoffs and win a playoff game or more. If they continue to improve in some areas and stay healthy, they're able to contend for the SB. 

That doesn't make "realists" more negative or less positive. They can be both. That's how reality works.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In REALITY Bengals have won playoff games before.

Now answer Phils question.

Still did not answer. Don't be scared. I won't answer anything until mine's answered
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:29 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Dalton is what Dalton has always been. Thanks for noticing!

Yup......it's no coincidence that when his protection is at least mediocre, he's been pretty good.  The last two years it was shitty, and he became very mediocre.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You still don't get it, even after i already explained it to you. You keep taking one or two examples that don't even fit and making a point that's not really a point. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 26 years. That's "reality". That's what most Bengals fans base the negativity on, and it doesn't negate the "reality" of the situation. 

I don't really care to have a discussion about this again because we've already had several. The most salient point is, past results don't predict future performance. This team can make the playoffs and win a playoff game or more. If they continue to improve in some areas and stay healthy, they're able to contend for the SB. 

That doesn't make "realists" more negative or less positive. They can be both. That's how reality works.

Hope for best expect the worst. That's the bottom line. I get that and Is why I wouldn't celebrate AFTER Burficts pick. The always seem to find a way to shoot themselves in the foot! Maybe this year they won't. NOW its End of discussion
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:18 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1.  So those who say Dalton will never win a SB, BASED on what has happened since 2011 (Daltons history) are ... ?

2.  Also, waiting to celebrate until the game is over, as opposed to after Burficts pick basing it on seeing them shoot themself in the foot countless times is what?

1.  Pessimist.

2.  Pessimism.  Too bad you have never seen the Bengals win playoff games like I have in "reality".

No one is saying you are not allowed to be a pessimist.  All I am saying is that you can't call yourself a "realist" when you have no idea what is really going to happen.  I can list hundreds of examples of people who claimed to be "realist" having opinions that never occurred in the real world.

I lived in Colorado in the early '90's.  You would be amazed how many people claimed to be "realists" and said Elway would never win a Super Bowl.  

So I am not telling you that you have to be positive.  All I am saying is that you are not a "realist".  Instead you are a "pessimist".
Reply/Quote