Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just my evaluation right now
(10-09-2018, 02:25 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Hope for best expect the worst. That's the bottom line. 

But that is not the definition of being a "realist".

A "realist" is defined by how he deals with a reality that already exists.  It has nothing to do with predicting what will happen in the future.

Expecting us to lose does not make you a "realist" because we might not lose.

Get it now?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You still don't get it, even after i already explained it to you. You keep taking one or two examples that don't even fit and making a point that's not really a point. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 26 years. That's "reality". That's what most Bengals fans base the negativity on, and it doesn't negate the "reality" of the situation. 

I don't really care to have a discussion about this again because we've already had several. The most salient point is, past results don't predict future performance. This team can make the playoffs and win a playoff game or more. If they continue to improve in some areas and stay healthy, they're able to contend for the SB. 

That doesn't make "realists" more negative or less positive. They can be both. That's how reality works.

Thank you!

What RFaulk is saying is he has a pessimistic view based on realisim. I'm the opposite I believe in any given Sunday and don't believe past seasons effect the outcome of a new season which is an optimistic view based in realisim.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:20 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Still did not answer. Don't be scared. I won't answer anything until mine's answered

Yes I did answer.

Based on history I thought the Bengals would win.  They have won playoff games before and they have never lost in the situation they were in at that time.

So if you base your opinion on "reality" they should have won.  
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if you base your opinion on "reality" they should have won.  

Which, even if it was our history, is still NOT the definition of "realist"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You still don't get it, even after i already explained it to you. You keep taking one or two examples that don't even fit and making a point that's not really a point. The Bengals have not won a playoff game in 26 years. That's "reality". That's what most Bengals fans base the negativity on, and it doesn't negate the "reality" of the situation. 

I don't really care to have a discussion about this again because we've already had several. The most salient point is, past results don't predict future performance. This team can make the playoffs and win a playoff game or more. If they continue to improve in some areas and stay healthy, they're able to contend for the SB. 

That doesn't make "realists" more negative or less positive. They can be both. That's how reality works.

[Image: 23v7zx.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:58 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Is #2 being a realist??  How did you react?  Don't be scared.

Let me guess, I say you were #1. Probably online trying to get playoff and plane tickets to the next game??

I was super excited then super bummed ?

Those two can be mutually exclusive
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I did answer.

Based on history I thought the Bengals would win.  They have won playoff games before and they have never lost in the situation they were in at that time.

Negative.  Don't you read these things?

AGAIN, they have shot themselves in the foot numerous times in the last 26 years.

I was happy when Burfict made the interception, BUT, told the family, I have to wait until it's over before I celebrate, because if there is ANY team that can shoot itself in the foot, even in this situation, it's this team.

Too many intelligent folk here NOT to be able to understand it.

I'm not saying everyone should approach with this attitude, but that's how it is for me.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: 23v7zx.jpg]

The bottom line in all of this WW, is a person can be a fan from franchise birth, and here in 2018, can have the root and hope, but expect the worse.  THAT's the bottom line regardless of which word one uses to describe it.

You may not have this same Bengal philosophy, and that doesn't make you wrong, in my eyes, but I'm not wrong, or causing the team to fail BECAUSE I have the 'wait for the clock to read 0:00 with a lead and no yellow flags' philosophy.  I know YOU get this.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I did answer.

My last attempt then I'm really done and exhausted.

The question was, (with some embellishment here since you didn't 'get it' the simple way) when Burfict made the interception, did you believe that the game was over?  Thinking, even the Bengals can't mess this up.  They never have before, so I would bet the farm that it's done!!

If you and I were watching that game together, and I turned to you and said, like I did with my family, "It looks very good for this team right now, but this is the Bengals and I'm not celebrating until it's over", your response would have been ...?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I did answer yours, now answer mine Whatever

The question was;

how many fans here do you think, thought:

1.  That's the game.  Finally a playoff victory?

Hypothetically;

If you and I were watching that game together, and I turned to you and said, like I did with my family, "It looks very good for this team right now, but this is the Bengals and I'm not celebrating until it's over", your response would have been ...?

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:16 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: My last attempt then I'm really done and exhausted.

The question was, (with some embellishment here since you didn't 'get it' the simple way) when Burfict made the interception, did you believe that the game was over?  Thinking, even the Bengals can't mess this up.  They never have before, so I would bet the farm that it's done!!

In the case you mention I would have predicted a win.

But none of this makes you a "realist".  It just means you have a negative outlook.

So be negative all you want.  Just don't call it being a "realist".  You would have been expecting a loss against the Falcons.  I would have been right in that situation.  But I am not going to claim that makes me a "realist".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote:  THAT's the bottom line regardless of which word one uses to describe it.

No that is not the bottom line.

You can't use the term "realist" when it does not apply.

No one is saying you can't expect a negative outcome.  Just don't call it "being a realist".
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No that is not the bottom line.

You can't use the term "realist" when it does not apply.

No one is saying you can't expect a negative outcome.  Just don't call it "being a realist".

If the grammar was in error, I can live with that, the bottom line was in the above post and you still didn't answer how you would have responded.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the case you mention I would have predicted a win.

But none of this makes you a "realist".  It just means you have a negative outlook.

So be negative all you want.  Just don't call it being a "realist".  You would have been expecting a loss against the Falcons.  I would have been right in that situation.  But I am not going to claim that makes me a "realist".

Would you have looked at me like I was crazy for saying, I'm waiting until it's over, while you were dancing, preferably clothed, on the tables AFTER the interception???
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:45 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: If the grammar was in error, I can live with that, the bottom line was in the above post and you still didn't answer how you would have responded.

yes I did

(10-09-2018, 05:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In the case you mention I would have predicted a win.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: yes I did

What would have been your response to me?  THAT's what I'm asking!!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:47 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Would you have looked at me like I was crazy for saying, I'm waiting until it's over, while you were dancing, preferably clothed, on the tables AFTER the interception???

You are not making a point.

You expected losses this year in all the games where we trailed in the fourth quarter and you were wrong every time.  So what difference does it make if you were right back then?

You can be negative all you want.  Sometimes you will be right and sometimes you will be wrong.  The point is that being negative is not the same as being a "realist"
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are not making a point.

You expected losses this year in all the games where we trailed in the fourth quarter and you were wrong every time.  So what difference does it make if you were right back then?

You can be negative all you want.  Sometimes you will be right and sometimes you will be wrong.  The point is that being negative is not the same as being a "realist"

Yes I am, you are just avoiding the question because you would have been all over me with Negative Nancy, and then we both would have been standing there with our mouths open in disbelief, after the Steelers FG!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:49 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: What would have been your response to me?  THAT's what I'm asking!!

I already told you.

Read the post you just quoted.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I already told you.

Read the post you just quoted.

Read above for the probable truthful answer.

Good night Freddie.  
Reply/Quote