I thought they were a myth.
Reply/Quote
Did he look this bad?

[Image: 15823512_1241449199283304_48106432885406...e=58DDD7EA]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 08:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought they were a myth.

Pack your shit and move as far away from there as possible. You'll start seeing them unicycling down Main Street within weeks. Scourge.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 08:30 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Pack your shit and move as far away from there as possible.  You'll start seeing them unicycling down Main Street within weeks. Scourge.

Luckily, I'm just visiting. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 08:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Luckily, I'm just visiting. 

Purchase new clothing and wear them out of the store. Leave all your belongings in the hotel room. You don't want them to catch your scent and must treat the situation like bed bugs.

How bad is the infestation?
Reply/Quote
Do. Not. Trigger. (aka use pronouns)
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 09:26 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Purchase new clothing and wear them out of the store.  Leave all your belongings in the hotel room.   You don't want them to catch your scent and must treat the situation like bed bugs.  

How bad is the infestation?

I'm in Seattle. On the plus side, the hotel's business center has tourist pamphlets for "Washington Cannabis Tourism Map."
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm in Seattle. On the plus side, the hotel's business center has tourist pamphlets for "Washington Cannabis Tourism Map."

Sweet! So you found a silver lining.
Reply/Quote
Old people are funny.  They talk about hipsters the same way their parents talked about kids with that "crazy long hair".

If you fear hipsters you need help.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Old people are funny.  They talk about hipsters the same way their parents talked about kids with that "crazy long hair".

Agreed.

Feel free to do the right thing and loathe them though.  The world has enough "Farm to Table Organic Fusion" restaurants and breweries making pumpkin and ginger beers.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 11:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm in Seattle. On the plus side, the hotel's business center has tourist pamphlets for "Washington Cannabis Tourism Map."

Was there during the summer, went on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle.

Always thought Seattle would be some fun place with lots of different things going on. Was mostly overpriced food, young people who don't talk to anyone and dogs. &*^$ everyone in that town has a large dog. Walking down the street was this constant parade of Shepards and Labs sniffing each other. The people with them don't seem to acknowledge the slower pace of traffic around them, they just slow down, adjust their fedora and wait for their dog to tell them to go again. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 04:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Old people are funny.  They talk about hipsters the same way their parents talked about kids with that "crazy long hair".

Meh, not afraid of hipsters. Just never saw a free range hipster in the wild before. Until yesterday I had only seen them in memes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 07:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Meh, not afraid of hipsters. Just never saw a free range hipster in the wild before. Until yesterday I had only seen them in memes. 

Follow 15 feet behind him, snickering, and grinning when he turns around.
After about 20 minutes, his over-inflated sense of coolness and importance will collapse.
This is extremely rewarding and is the first step to returning them to civilized society.

Enjoy !
:andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 05:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Was there during the summer, went on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle.

Always thought Seattle would be some fun place with lots of different things going on. Was mostly overpriced food, young people who don't talk to anyone and dogs. &*^$ everyone in that town has a large dog. Walking down the street was this constant parade of Shepards and Labs sniffing each other. The people with them don't seem to acknowledge the slower pace of traffic around them, they just slow down, adjust their fedora and wait for their dog to tell them to go again. 
Ranked 9th highest cost of living in the US.  Sad when you consider the population size versus the remainder of the top 10.
Reply/Quote

Yep. 

Not even really sure what makes someone a hipster other than stereotypes and judgement. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Lived there(Seattle)from late 80s to mid 90s.

Cost of living was much lower until the migration of California residents began(they were considered hipsters BTW).

It was not a trendy place when I moved there.  Some granola hippie/some rednecks/some average people.

Yes, you read that correctly.  There were and probably still are rednecks there.  Just like anywhere else.

The perception of Ohio is we could be Iowa.  The same to them.  Farmers and corn.

The other thing I found odd is that a lot of people on the west coast think New York state is New York City.

All skyscrapers, bustling streets, and traffic jams.

One time I told someone I had an uncle who owned a dairy farm in New York...  and he scratched his head.

"Where do they keep the cows in the city?"  LMAO

Lastly...I guarantee you scan certain areas ANYWHERE that has a metropolis and you'll find a "hipster".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yep. 

Not even really sure what makes someone a hipster other than stereotypes and judgement. 
From my experience, it's from the majority of them acting pretentious.
I will say that I am quite sure there are many that are fine people, but most turn their nose up at people or belittle them for not being counter-culture.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Ranked 9th highest cost of living in the US.  Sad when you consider the population size versus the remainder of the top 10.

I have a friend who lived for a couple years on an island north of Seattle. Said outside the city, it was a lot more affordable, almost as cheap as living in Kentucky.

(01-02-2017, 12:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Lived there(Seattle)from late 80s to mid 90s.

Cost of living was much lower until the migration of California residents began(they were considered hipsters BTW).

It was not a trendy place when I moved there.  Some granola hippie/some rednecks/some average people.

Yes, you read that correctly.  There were and probably still are rednecks there.  Just like anywhere else.

The perception of Ohio is we could be Iowa.  The same to them.  Farmers and corn.

The other thing I found odd is that a lot of people on the west coast think New York state is New York City.

All skyscrapers, bustling streets, and traffic jams.

One time I told someone I had an uncle who owned a dairy farm in New York...  and he scratched his head.

"Where do they keep the cows in the city?"  LMAO

Lastly...I guarantee you scan certain areas ANYWHERE that has a metropolis and you'll find a "hipster".

Talked to a guy at the Space Needle (he started the conversation and seemed pretty happy to have someone to talk to who wasn't Asian). He was a native, said things were good until the 90s when they had an "Asian invasion," said people from Japan, China, etc., thought Seattle was a cheap place to vacation. That kind of surprised me considering I paid $15 for what amounted to a ham sandwich at a place near the airport, and dinner at the Space Needle was a few hundred.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: I have a friend who lived for a couple years on an island north of Seattle. Said outside the city, it was a lot more affordable, almost as cheap as living in Kentucky.

Talked to a guy at the Space Needle (he started the conversation and seemed pretty happy to have someone to talk to who wasn't Asian). He was a native, said things were good until the 90s when they had an "Asian invasion," said people from Japan, China, etc., thought Seattle was a cheap place to vacation. That kind of surprised me considering I paid $15 for what amounted to a ham sandwich at a place near the airport, and dinner at the Space Needle was a few hundred.

That's true of any metro area, but the distance to that fine line of affordability definitely differs from place to place.  Ex, Lots of people who work in and around Washington D.C. commute from as far away as Fredericksburg, VA, ~55 miles and up to 2 hours with bad enough traffic.  I'm about 15 miles from the center of Richmond and I consider it quite affordable, but if I go another 15 miles west I can get double the house for close to the same cost (maybe even less!).

As for Asians considering it a cheap place to vacation, from what I've seen of the costs of Tokyo, I would think they consider anywhere in the U.S. to be a bargain!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: I have a friend who lived for a couple years on an island north of Seattle. Said outside the city, it was a lot more affordable, almost as cheap as living in Kentucky.

My parents last house which was across Puget Sound and north of Bremerton in Silverdale cost them in the $150,000s in early 90s now it goes for $450,000 and up to $500,000.

Migration of people from Seattle and surrounding burbs also increased values.

As far as Asians?  Washington and Oregon have always had a higher Asian population than most areas.

I'm sure that guy was right some about tourists but you've got to believe me there are many there anyway.

Also as much as Ohio State fans loathe the state up north, people of Washington used to feel the same way about Californians!

The technology boom also made it a hotspot for companies which employ developers from Asian countries.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote