Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just tried LaRosa's pizza
I always thought Montgomery Inn's stuff was boiled too...because that's what I've always heard. Either way, they're good, but still overrated. There are much better BBQ joints in Cincinnati, and most of them cost a lot less.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I always thought Montgomery Inn's stuff was boiled too...because that's what I've always heard. Either way, they're good, but still overrated. There are much better BBQ joints in Cincinnati, and most of them cost a lot less.

I guess were not talking pizza anymore...

this new place springing up... (one in S.Lebanon plaza, One in Fields Ertle) dont know of any others... "Dixie's BBQ pit"

Is pretty tastey... and you get a free soft serve icecream cone (or at least the option for one is there lol) I only had their ribs... they were literally falling off the bone.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I guess were not talking pizza anymore...

Don't let me hold you back.  You can talk about whatever you'd like.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I always thought Montgomery Inn's stuff was boiled too...because that's what I've always heard.  Either way, they're good, but still overrated.  There are much better BBQ joints in Cincinnati, and most of them cost a lot less.

I agree with everything you said, but I have a problem with people having such a negative connotation when it comes to food and different techniques of cooking (not saying you are negative about it, just speaking generally). 

Just because boiling is ribs cooking technique doesnt mean it isn't as good. Whatever Montgomery Inn does, they do it well. I for one love their ribs and just because they boil them doesnt mean they are cheating or taking an easy way out. 

There are a ton of different techniques to cooking food. Mont Inn makes their technique work for them and they do it damn well. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 02:01 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I know I've heard that too.  And it's absolutely false, by people that want to hate on them.

Look I used to work there. 

If people don't like them fine, no skin off my back, but let's not make crap up.  You said you "heard" that, which would suggest to me that you haven't tried it.  I would say try it then judge it, if you still don't like it?  That's fine, like I said no skin of my back.

While I was there I personally took care of Sam Wyche, Johnny Bench, and Pete Rose.  3 presidents have dinned there, Ford, Reagan, and Bush Jr. and countless other celebs.  In the time that I was there, I rarely had any complaints. 

I've had them. 
They aren't that good and the sauce is overrated to boot.

It's "famous" though. So whatever. 
Just like Price Hill Chili and Frisch's. 

Local crap trumped up to be more just because they've been here forever. 
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:12 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Don't let me hold you back.  You can talk about whatever you'd like.

Who boiled the ribbs...
[Image: ce4d1e65f41e18f38c19ab400870bd22.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I always thought Montgomery Inn's stuff was boiled too...because that's what I've always heard.  Either way, they're good, but still overrated.  There are much better BBQ joints in Cincinnati, and most of them cost a lot less.

(06-05-2015, 05:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I've had them. 
They aren't that good and the sauce is overrated to boot.

It's "famous" though. So whatever. 
Just like Price Hill Chili and Frisch's. 

Local crap trumped up to be more just because they've been here forever. 

Like I said no skin off my back if you don't like them.  I've met others who don't either. I was just clearing up a misconception about the boiling.  I have had a lot of different BBQ styles out there and there is literally thousands of was to do it.  I'm not even saying it's the best out there.  But I do like it and to each there own.

And I'm still a Skyline fan and a Big Boy with some onion rings sounds good now. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Like I said no skin off my back if you don't like them.  I've met others who don't either. I was just clearing up a misconception about the boiling.  I have had a lot of different BBQ styles out there and there is literally thousands of was to do it.  I'm not even saying it's the best out there.  But I do like it and to each there own.

And I'm still a Skyline fan and a Big Boy with some onion rings sounds good now. Ninja

Are they cooked in a smoker?  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:52 PM)Harmening Wrote: Are they cooked in a smoker?  

All I know is that they are cooked for hours in a separate location, using the original cooking methods and the sauce is same recipe Matula (Ted's wife) came up with in 1959.  I've not been to the actual location where they prepare the ribs. 
Reply/Quote
I like LaRosas and hate everything else but that's most likely because it's all we have in my area. We have all the franchises around here, Dominos which is nasty beyond all hell, Pizza Hut which is only a little better than Little Ceasars which is a little better than Snappys which is right above Dominos which is right above Poppa Johns. Around here, LaRosas is the only thing worth getting, all the others is just nasty.

As for ribs, the best ribs I've ever had was out of this guys basement who sold slabs cheap in St. Bernard. My brother and I went to visit one of my brothers friends who lived there and we walked over for lunch and stood in line to buy ourselves some ribs. Man they were good.

The best fish I've ever had was from Alabamas in downtown, I think on Walnut or Elm I don't remember. I don't even know if they are there any more and if they are and you are downtown, check them out, it is really good eating.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Larosas is crap anymore, their quality has gone down a lot. I won't order a pizza from there anymore. There are a lot better places in Cincy to get a pizza

I agree, that MI doesn't have to best ribs around here, but they are still pretty dang on good. Heck, the best ribs I've ever ate were boiled in beer then deep fried.
Reply/Quote
All this "separate location" stuff makes me think they have top men on this....TOP men...
Reply/Quote
The provolone cheese on a LaRosa's pizza is good. They also put the ingredients underneath the cheese whereas some pizza places put them on top. I don't eat LaRosa's a lot, but they offer more than just pizza and have a decent menu overall. It's an ok sit down Italian food type restaurant, relatively quiet, where you are usually seated in a booth. I'd say it is a change of pace type restaurant that i will eat at once or twice a year.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 07:54 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: All this "separate location" stuff makes me think they have top men on this....TOP men...

Sounds like you're obsessed with TOP men in separate locations Mellow  
Reply/Quote
LaRosa's is crud...unless you're at Kings Island. For some reason it's fire at that place.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 06:19 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: All I know is that they are cooked for hours in a separate location, using the original cooking methods and the sauce is same recipe Matula (Ted's wife) came up with in 1959.  I've not been to the actual location where they prepare the ribs. 

Does original cooking method = boiling?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: Does original cooking method = boiling?

No, I think we've covered that.

You guys don't have to take my word for it, call and ask for Tom Gregory (Teds son) and ask him and he'll tell you no. As far as I know it's cooked slowly over hours.

You guys can have your fun with this if you want. Go there, don't go there, makes no difference to me.  I don't work there any more.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:13 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: No, I think we've covered that.

You guys don't have to take my word for it, call and ask for Tom Gregory (Teds son) and ask him and he'll tell you no. As far as I know it's cooked slowly over hours.

You guys can have your fun with this if you want. Go there, don't go there, makes no difference to me.  I don't work there any more.

I wasn't trying to have a go at you.  I was just curious as to what their cooking method was.  I've tasted great ribs that I thought came off a smoker, but didn't, and I've tasted ribs that came off a smoker, and they sucked.  
Like Weezy said above, if it tastes great, who cares how it was made.  I'm a BBQ traditionalist, but have found myself to rely on my taste buds more than technique lately.  
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:46 PM)Harmening Wrote: I wasn't trying to have a go at you.  I was just curious as to what their cooking method was.  I've tasted great ribs that I thought came off a smoker, but didn't, and I've tasted ribs that came off a smoker, and they sucked.  
Like Weezy said above, if it tastes great, who cares how it was made.  I'm a BBQ traditionalist, but have found myself to rely on my taste buds more than technique lately.  

Oh I know you weren't but others were (which is fine).  That post wasn't directed at you.  And I'm like you I just rely on my taste buds, Heck living in VA Beach I had a lot of North Carolina BBQ, which is way different than a lot of the BBQ here. It's all good though, what ever trips your trigger guys. 
Reply/Quote
As a true outsider, all I can say about LaRosa's is that I'm sure that I ate it once on a previous visit to a Reds game, but it wasn't so good that I remember doing so. The best pizzas I've ever had have always come from small local establishments.

Regarding other Cincinnati food staples, I don't mind Skyline, but it's not my favorite chili. When I do eat it, I can't eat a lot of it. That said, I always feel somewhat compelled to eat there whenever I'm here in Ohio.

I haven't had Graeter's ice cream, but I am pleased to say that that will change tomorrow before the Reds game.
Reply/Quote