Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just tried LaRosa's pizza
(06-05-2015, 11:14 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: As a true outsider, all I can say about LaRosa's is that I'm sure that I ate it once on a previous visit to a Reds game, but it wasn't so good that I remember doing so. The best pizzas I've ever had have always come from small local establishments.

Regarding other Cincinnati food staples, I don't mind Skyline, but it's not my favorite chili. When I do eat it, I can't eat a lot of it. That said, I always feel somewhat compelled to eat there whenever I'm here in Ohio.

I haven't had Graeter's ice cream, but I am pleased to say that that will change tomorrow before the Reds game.

Great to see you on these boards 34.  Your posts have always been quite worthy.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 05:45 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: [Image: b-wink.gif]
"Like I said no skin off my back"

I'm beginning to think he's speaking in code...

[Image: th?id=JN.XYaHVtJlZuhzI4nalLtj%2bQ&pid=15.1&P=0][Image: th?id=JN.B4w3AllasCXGA2pigzgUDA&pid=15.1&P=0]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:46 PM)Harmening Wrote:   I was just curious as to what their cooking method was. 

Yes, please enlighten us. What is the cooking method? Smoked, cooked over a wood fire.....what?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:31 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: LaRosa's is crud...unless you're at Kings Island. For some reason it's fire at that place.

This...
Although I had Montgomery Inn ribs at Kings Island and they were NOT good.

Reply/Quote
As to the OP, I've tried LaRosa's at a few different locations in the Dayton area, and the pizza underwhelmed at each spot. They have a garlic cheesebread that is really good, though. And, I dislike ribs and barbecue in general, so there's that.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 09:47 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: As to the OP, I've tried LaRosa's at a few different locations in the Dayton area, and the pizza underwhelmed at each spot.  They have a garlic cheesebread that is really good, though.   And, I dislike ribs and barbecue in general, so there's that.

Dislike ribs?  Man you Llamas are picky!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 11:14 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: As a true outsider, all I can say about LaRosa's is that I'm sure that I ate it once on a previous visit to a Reds game, but it wasn't so good that I remember doing so. The best pizzas I've ever had have always come from small local establishments.

Regarding other Cincinnati food staples, I don't mind Skyline, but it's not my favorite chili. When I do eat it, I can't eat a lot of it. That said, I always feel somewhat compelled to eat there whenever I'm here in Ohio.

I haven't had Graeter's ice cream, but I am pleased to say that that will change tomorrow before the Reds game.

Raspberry Chip.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 10:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Dislike ribs?  Man you Llamas are picky!

As we llamas say: once you've had hay, there's no other way.

(06-06-2015, 10:54 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: Raspberry Chip.  

No doubt. Huge chocolate chunks in every pint. That and chocolate chip cookie dough. Damn, I'm gonna wind up there before the weekend's over.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
LaRosa's made some business decisions years ago that really compromised their quality. They certainly grew as a result, and that was the goal. But, rather than being a neighborhood pizza parlor in lots of neighborhoods they decided they wanted to compete with Domino's and Papa John's et al. And, as someone said early in the thread, it is better than shitty Papa John's. But that is like saying "our tacos are better than Taco Bell" of "our burgers are better than McDonald's." It isn't that hard to be just barely better than mediocre shit fast food and the LaRosa family has made a mint doing just that, but the quality of the pizza and all the food there is a far cry from what it was in the early years.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:31 PM)DStoneTheCrow Wrote: LaRosa's is crud...unless you're at Kings Island. For some reason it's fire at that place.

Or the zoo.  Larosa's is always better at those two places.  It better be good though if you're paying five bucks for a slice of pizza.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 06:19 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: All I know is that they are cooked for hours in a separate location, using the original cooking methods and the sauce is same recipe Matula (Ted's wife) came up with in 1959.  I've not been to the actual location where they prepare the ribs. 

So if you don't know the cooking method, how do you know that the cooking method isn't boiling?  Genuine curiosity here.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 12:12 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm beginning to think he's speaking in code...

[Image: th?id=JN.XYaHVtJlZuhzI4nalLtj%2bQ&pid=15.1&P=0][Image: th?id=JN.B4w3AllasCXGA2pigzgUDA&pid=15.1&P=0]

(06-06-2015, 12:44 AM)Beaker Wrote: Yes, please enlighten us. What is the cooking method? Smoked, cooked over a wood fire.....what? 

Alright...ya got me....shhhh...don't tell anyone

Confused

It's all about the microwave.

man you guys are relentless. Cry
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:29 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: LaRosa's is meh. It's just too overpriced now.
Few years back it was good for the cost.

Better than getting shitty Papa Johns.

Finally....someone who hates Papa Johns as much as I do.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 12:09 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So if you don't know the cooking method, how do you know that the cooking method isn't boiling?  Genuine curiosity here.

Call Mr. Gregory (Teds son who runs the original location) and ask him as I did.  He'll tell you they're not boiled.  But he will tell they've been prepared the same way since 1959 and he's not going to reveal it to you.

Now if you feel I haven't provided enough proof to convince you, that's fine.  Believe what you'd like.  Go there, don't go there,  I don't work there anymore and have 0 loyalties to the place.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 09:47 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: As to the OP, I've tried LaRosa's at a few different locations in the Dayton area, and the pizza underwhelmed at each spot.  They have a garlic cheesebread that is really good, though.   And, I dislike ribs and barbecue in general, so there's that.

How can you dislike ribs? haha just playin, I hate all seafood besides shark lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:32 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote:  He'll tell you they're not boiled. 

He will instead tell you they are "simmered".

Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 06:48 PM)Harmening Wrote: He will instead tell you they are "simmered".

Smirk

In love and goodness. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:32 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Call Mr. Gregory (Teds son who runs the original location) and ask him as I did.  He'll tell you they're not boiled.  But he will tell they've been prepared the same way since 1959 and he's not going to reveal it to you.

Now if you feel I haven't provided enough proof to convince you, that's fine.  Believe what you'd like.  Go there, don't go there,  I don't work there anymore and have 0 loyalties to the place.

I don't really need to be convinced one way or the other.  I was just curious.  I'll think it's a pretty good, yet overpriced BBQ joint whether they're smoked, grilled, boiled, or microwaved.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 09:47 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: As to the OP, I've tried LaRosa's at a few different locations in the Dayton area, and the pizza underwhelmed at each spot.  They have a garlic cheesebread that is really good, though.   And, I dislike ribs and barbecue in general, so there's that.

Blasphemy! 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Who cares how they are cooked if you like them? If they advertised them as Memphis ribs I could understand. They are not smoked. I worked there as a bus boy 30 years ago and they were either steamed or boiled then put on a grill when you ordered them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote