Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Justice Alito flew "stop the steal" symbol
(06-02-2024, 10:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: In fact this is one of the few places I discuss politics on line.  Most of my social media friends elsewhere don't post a lot about it either.  Occasionally I see a meme that is god-awful and wrong, but not to the level there was in 2015-2020.

I also don't do politics anywhere else online. My social media is very clean and I like to keep it that way. And honestly, it isn't because I want to hide my views, it's because of how much I do with youth in my area and the type of arguments that people will get in are just ugly. I don't want anyone to be deterred from programs because of political bickering in the comments of a post I make or something. I get enough of that already with people voicing their opinions on changes Scouting has been going through over the past 6 years. Rolleyes
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 05:05 AM)pally Wrote: There is no way Trump die quietly that doesn’t give rise to giant conspiracy theories.  Shoot, I suspect he could be struck by lightning in front of his rally crowd and they will claim it was Biden ordering one of MTG’s Jewish space lasers to zap him. Trump will become a martyr to the MAGA cause

That entire movement dies when he's gone.  Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

His main gift is a lifetime of playing PR games and an understanding of how to work the national media.  He was a major international celebrity long before he was in politics.    It doesn't help him govern, but it definitely provides an advantage that few have when they first enter office.  He gives people what they think they want, and that's all learned through his previous occupations.

Populism isn't as easy as it looks.   People, even intelligent ones like Hillary, spend their careers trying to figure out how to be liked, then get waxed by both Obama and Trump.  You have it or you don't.  Trump's the Rain Man of the discipline.  The GOP will go back to being unrelatable ultra-religious elitists once he's finished.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 11:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I also don't do politics anywhere else online. My social media is very clean and I like to keep it that way. And honestly, it isn't because I want to hide my views, it's because of how much I do with youth in my area and the type of arguments that people will get in are just ugly. I don't want anyone to be deterred from programs because of political bickering in the comments of a post I make or something. I get enough of that already with people voicing their opinions on changes Scouting has been going through over the past 6 years. Rolleyes

I discuss it at work much like I do here.  I mainly try to hit raw nerves and rile up the guys on my project that literally watch Fox all day.  

I once made up a story in a room full of evangelicals about how I got 3 different women preggers in college and subsequently paid for abortions.  

Also told them that inner city gangs would come and raid their homes to rape their wives and take their shit once resources ran out in a civil war.

All political discussion lacks good faith anymore, so I just make shit up to the most offensive extreme I can create.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 01:45 PM)samhain Wrote: I discuss it at work much like I do here.  I mainly try to hit raw nerves and rile up the guys on my project that literally watch Fox all day.  

I once made up a story in a room full of evangelicals about how I got 3 different women preggers in college and subsequently paid for abortions.  

Also told them that inner city gangs would come and raid their homes to rape their wives and take their shit once resources ran out in a civil war.

All political discussion lacks good faith anymore, so I just make shit up to the most offensive extreme I can create.

[Image: mariah-carey-her.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 01:45 PM)samhain Wrote: I discuss it at work much like I do here.  I mainly try to hit raw nerves and rile up the guys on my project that literally watch Fox all day.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I can't bring myself to do that. As cynical as I am about the state of our systems, I have lofty ideals that I take very seriously. I have high standards for our government and want us to work towards that. I know too much about how it all works and truly believe in good government, so I have a hard time shitposting about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 10:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: I have several friends who will cut social media ties with people they feel are wrong.  On the left and the right.

My mother is one of them.

I have removed very few people and only a handful of them were because of politics. 

Millhouse said they weren't close friends so I agree.  If I don't really know the person and they are posting things I don't want to see I don't see why I need to be "friends" on social media.

But there is a very sharp divide in this country right now.

I had one friend, going back over 30 years, block me on FB because I disagreed with an article she posted about an "illegal immigrant crime".  Turns out she was wrong after she blocked me.  And what's funny about here is she was a free spirit, everyone love everyone love everyone type.  Even dropped her religion after school because she found it oppressive.  And she seemed to still be that way...except when it comes to politics.

It's weird.

In fact this is one of the few places I discuss politics on line.  Most of my social media friends elsewhere don't post a lot about it either.  Occasionally I see a meme that is god-awful and wrong, but not to the level there was in 2015-2020.

Yeah I just prefer my social media stuff (TwitterX & Facebook) be pretty clean of politics and over the top religious stuff. I have yet to unfriend actual friends and relatives that may post something I roll my eyes at if they make a rare political meme or something. But yeah, if I havent spoke to that person in over 30 years and are just friend fodder on facebook, an Upside Flag picture as their background to support whats his face will get unfriended lol. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 03:35 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah I just prefer my social media stuff (TwitterX & Facebook) be pretty clean of politics and over the top religious stuff. I have yet to unfriend actual friends and relatives that may post something I roll my eyes at if they make a rare political meme or something. But yeah, if I havent spoke to that person in over 30 years and are just friend fodder on facebook, an Upside Flag picture as their background to support whats his face will get unfriended lol. 

True story: 

One of my best friends from my old radio days, who was/is adamantly pro Trump, quit social media after 2020.  We still texted and talked occasionally.

Found out he rejoined FB but he's since been born again and his entire feed is preaching his religion.  He did not friend request me, not me him.

Not because we aren't still friends but because I don't want to see what he's posting now.  So when we talk we avoid that stuff.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 07:57 AM)hollodero Wrote: Ehm, the language barrier rears its ugly head here. I can not quite follow your point (that's quite certainly on non-native me).

Btw. i was just referring to the excuse of "my wife argued with the neighbour, hence the upside-down flag" argument. Which, no matter how one sees Alito, is just stupid.

I agree it was stupid, whatever the reason, and you haven't seen me defend it other than to say it is a family matter. And I've been "unfriended" by Dems before that spread mis-information around on Social Media. They get pissed when you call them out and correct their post. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote