Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Katie Blackburn-State of the Team
The interview is behind a paywall but only $1.50 for a month

https://theathletic.com/4361674/2023/03/29/bengals-katie-blackburn-joe-burrow-contract/

on Joey B contract
Quote:“The negotiations will happen primarily through his agent,” she said. “But Joe, obviously, at the end of the day, it’s what Joe wants. And so I think Joe’s got to be happy, and we’ve got to be happy. And hopefully, we can be happy together.”

On Joe Mixon

Quote:“Right now, he’s on the team, and we are gonna count on him until that wouldn’t be the case,” Blackburn said.

on Paycor
Quote:“It’s that time that we are beginning to think about it,” she said. “We’re actually going in and doing some improvements a little bit this year ourselves, and hopefully that sends a message that we’re willing to invest a little bit of our own here now. (We) hope we can take a look at the whole lease situation with the county and get something that would make the lease situation settled for a while and work well for the county and us.”

on Jonah
Quote:“These things happen,” she said. “We’re gonna try to get our best team out there. We hear his concerns, but at the end of the day, we’ll just have to see where it all plays out.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Katie lightweight cringy with this answer when you hear it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:12 PM)pally Wrote: The interview is behind a paywall but only $1.50 for a month

https://theathletic.com/4361674/2023/03/29/bengals-katie-blackburn-joe-burrow-contract/

on Joey B contract

On Joe Mixon

on Paycor

on Jonah

They’ve had two formal meetings with Burrow’s people. No clue if Joe was there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 07:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: Katie lightweight cringy with this answer when you hear it.

Yeah you could hear a lot in those pauses. After listening to that I would be surprised if Mixon was still a Bengal at the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 08:02 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Yeah you could hear a lot in those pauses.  After listening to that I would be surprised if Mixon was still a Bengal at the start of the season.

Wow - that is not a vote of confidence at all.  Holy Cow.  Does anyone think the Bengals know something we don't?

Hey Soonerpeace - still confident Joe isn't going any where?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:31 PM)Stewy Wrote: Wow - that is not a vote of confidence at all.  Holy Cow.  Does anyone think the Bengals know something we don't?

I think it’s pretty clear, if they can draft an rb they feel comfortable being the #1 guy or possibly a strong #1a/b with a cheaper vet, then Mixon is gone.

If he was on the open market, he’d probably be worth about 4.5-5M per on a 2 year deal
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:31 PM)Stewy Wrote: Wow - that is not a vote of confidence at all.  Holy Cow.  Does anyone think the Bengals know something we don't?

Unless some kinda legal trouble occurs, i don't think he's going anywhere this year either.
Even if they draft one they will likely keep Mixon for this year and then let him go when his contract expires.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 07:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ve had two formal meetings with Burrow’s people. No clue if Joe was there.

I would doubt it. They talk about these negotiations all the time on Sirius. Part of the advantage of an agent is they go into those meetings pointing out the assets their client brings in order to up the price. The team mgt. goes into these meetings pointing out the negatives of the player (Think Lamar and his injury history) in order to lower the asking price. The player not being there saves hurt feeling on either side. The player tells the agent what he wants to do, and the agent does as much as he can to make it happen, then everyone walks away happy. This is why Lamar got his feelings hurt by the Ravens, he went in there and the mgt. pointed out his negatives to his face. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would doubt it. They talk about these negotiations all the time on Sirius. Part of the advantage of an agent is they go into those meetings pointing out the assets their client brings in order to up the price. The team mgt. goes into these meetings pointing out the negatives of the player (Think Lamar and his injury history) in order to lower the asking price. The player not being there saves hurt feeling on either side. The player tells the agent what he wants to do, and the agent does as much as he can to make it happen, then everyone walks away happy. This is why Lamar got his feelings hurt by the Ravens, he went in there and the mgt. pointed out his negatives to his face. 

Yes. That's how I'd say most work.

Haha...the Lamar case is interesting all around. He's a league MVP, but due to his playing style you have to build a team around him that's not traditional. And I think teams are leery of that. Well leery enough to not fully guarantee a deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:12 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Unless some kinda legal trouble occurs, i don't think he's going anywhere this year either.
Even if they draft one they will likely keep Mixon for this year and then let him go when his contract expires.

Did you actually LISTEN to her?  Do you have another explanation for her mega discomfort?  Pauses?  Non-answers?  Is she just that bad at owner speak?

I don't mean to make that sound like some mega challenge, but I'd really like your take after hearing her.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 09:16 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. That's how I'd say most work.

Haha...the Lamar case is interesting all around. He's a league MVP, but due to his playing style you have to build a team around him that's not traditional. And I think teams are leery of that. Well leery enough to not fully guarantee a deal.

The real difficulty for the Ravens has been the past couple years not having a good enough QB to get the team enough wins after Jackson has gone down to injury each year.

Ravens with Jackson at QB:
2021 - 7-5
2022 - 8-4

With other QBs starting:
2021 - 0-5
2022 - 2-3

So not only do you have to build the offense around Jackson, you need a backup QB who can be about the same level as him too because he hasn't been able to stay on the field. QBs like Jackson aren't abundant, and the team isn't going to completely morph the offense one way for Jackson and another way for the backup QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Exactly, because if you build a team around a non-traditional play style, it's because you have a player with special gifts. However if that player gets hurt, you can't plug a traditional replacement in there because it won't work the same.  Even if it's a a replacement with a similar play style, they won't have those special gifts to make the machine hum.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 10:27 AM)Stewy Wrote: Exactly, because if you build a team around a non-traditional play style, it's because you have a player with special gifts. However if that player gets hurt, you can't plug a traditional replacement in there because it won't work the same.  Even if it's a a replacement with a similar play style, they won't have those special gifts to make the machine hum.

And that's what the Ravens do with their backups. They have athletes that can't throw.

It's kind of really funny to think about.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 10:14 AM)Stewy Wrote: Did you actually LISTEN to her?  Do you have another explanation for her mega discomfort?  Pauses?  Non-answers?  Is she just that bad at owner speak?

I don't mean to make that sound like some mega challenge, but I'd really like your take after hearing her.

yeah, ever heard Mike Brown speak? 
If they were going to cut him, they would have done so by now and signed someone else.

You guys reaching HARD.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 12:35 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: yeah, ever heard Mike Brown speak? 
If they were going to cut him, they would have done so by now and signed someone else.

You guys reaching HARD.

Why?

What do we gain by cutting him before the draft? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 12:35 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: yeah, ever heard Mike Brown speak? 

You guys reaching HARD.

If Robinson is there at 28 Mixon can say goodbye
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 01:19 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: If Robinson is there at 28 Mixon can say goodbye

He fits the Bengals #1 RB mold, but i thought we were supposed to be following the KC blueprint, where we draft one late... Then again, why would we draft him? We aren't a Run first team.

If we extend Tee, Robinson won't be the pick, even if he's there. Paying a first rounder means we need to draft a player at a position that makes top $$. 
DL/DE, DB, OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 02:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: He fits the Bengals #1 RB mold, but i thought we were supposed to be following the KC blueprint, where we draft one late... Then again, why would we draft him? We aren't a Run first team.

If we extend Tee, Robinson won't be the pick, even if he's there. Paying a first rounder means we need to draft a player at a position that makes top $$. 
DL/DE, DB, OT.

The contract for pick 28 is about 12m over 4 years. If they drafted Robinson, his total rookie contract would be a little less than what Mixon will make this year. IMO, that's one helluva value trade-off, especially if he's the talent that everyone thinks he is. 

I think there are a few backs in this draft that would be really nice fits, but if a back like Robinson were to fall in your lap at 28, I don't know how you pass on him and what he could bring to this offense. 

I don't think he'll make it to 28, but if he does, the Bengals better have that card turned in within 5 seconds! LOL
Reply/Quote

This is true, but it's also worth noting that was FOUR seasons ago now. That's a long time in the NFL even without a run-heavy playstyle. The same year Lamar won MVP? Ryan Tannehill led the NFL in QB Rating. The 1-2 in receiving yards the year Lamar won MVP were Michael Thomas and Julio Jones. Tom Brady was still on the Patriots. Andy Dalton was our starting QB.

Matt Ryan won MVP 3 year before Lamar did, Cam Newton won MVP 4 years before Lamar did.

It's about time for his MVP to be used as an overwrite for what's happened over the last years, because it's been quite awhile ago now.

Lamar's Average Passing Season Since MVP:
63.7% Completion
2,627 passing yards (7.3 YPA)
19.7 TD/9.7 INT
92.5 QB Rating

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:10 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The contract for pick 28 is about 12m over 4 years. If they drafted Robinson, his total rookie contract would be a little less than what Mixon will make this year. IMO, that's one helluva value trade-off, especially if he's the talent that everyone thinks he is. 

I think there are a few backs in this draft that would be really nice fits, but if a back like Robinson were to fall in your lap at 28, I don't know how you pass on him and what he could bring to this offense. 

I don't think he'll make it to 28, but if he does, the Bengals better have that card turned in within 5 seconds! LOL

And once his contract is up, we'd have to replace him as he would get priced out of our range. I'd much rather draft a player that we could get into a 2nd contract with at a valuable position and not have to over pay for a position that is by everyone's standards cheaply replaceable.  

Now I'm personally hoping he's there, just so we can see what the Bengals do. 
Reply/Quote