Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Katie Blackburn is the first woman appointed to the NFL competition committee.
(11-13-2021, 12:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As an aside...

When you make posts like this, the first thing that happens is a bell goes off in my head that you've just been a very well hidden troll all these years and you're now ready to have your 'internet breakdown'. It could be a slow roll into crazy oblivion or a supernova type flameout. 

Get your shit together. I don't need to waste time wondering what the percentages are for that. Mellow

As an aside.

You did not point out a single false thing I said.  All you did was fall back on personal attacks because you can not dispute my actual argument.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Me:  Raising children is like growing a garden.  

Leonard:  You are trivializing human life by comparing humans to vegetables.  How can you believe that a person is exactly the same a a vegetable?  Why do you think it is okay to eat your children.

People who understand the use of an analogy understand that you are not saying two different things are exactly the same.  Instead you are using an analogy to show a shared logic or abstract relationship.  

The fact that you claim I am "trivializing sexual assault" when I described it as "grossly inappropriate" shows that you don't really have a point.  You are just arguing to argue.

No, it is more like...

Fred: "Staring at a football player on the field is a dead on comparison for sexual assault."
Me: "The hell is wrong with you?"

You described it as grossly inappropriate only after calling it a "dead on comparison" and being called out on your creepy creepy ways. You are just arguing because it's literally what you do for a living and you can't even imagine that you're both wrong AND really weird on this one. I'm done with this man, if you really can't see how you're wrong/weird on this one by now, you literally never will and there's no point in this anymore.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As an aside.

You did not point out a single false thing I said.  All you did was fall back on personal attacks because you can not dispute my actual argument.

Wait...did you just do Brad or are you serious?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As an aside.

What you said is a terrible analogy; but by definition (not the one you gave: "an extreme example to show how flawed the logic is"); an analogy none the less. Now If you would have said "stare" at her boobs instead on "touch" her boobs it would have been more apt and less creepy.

If I were to classify the post I wouldn't consider it an analogy; I'd consider it a false equivalence
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously none of you understand how an analogy works.  I run into this problem all the time around here.  I will us an example of Bill Belichick doing the exact same thing as a Bengal coach and you guys will say "It can't be an analogy because Belichick is a better coach, Derp."

The whole point of using an analogy is to present an extreme example to show how flawed the logic is.

I understand analogies. Bad call on your part to assume differently. I'm fortunate to have an exceptional formal education and have earned multiple degrees. I state this to reinforce I understand analogies. I just happen to think your analogy blows.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 02:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You described it as grossly inappropriate only after calling it a "dead on comparison" and being called out on your creepy creepy ways.

I only described the point I was making because you did not understand how an analogy works and it was going over your head.

And apparently you still don't.  So let me help you.

I am not saying children are the same as vegetables when I say "Raising children is like growing a garden", and I am not saying taunting is the same as sexual assault.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 04:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Wait...did you just do Brad or are you serious?

No.

When Brad does that all I do is post a direct quote of my comment to show proof there was no personal attack in my disagreement.

Can you do that with your post that I commented on?

I'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2021, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.

When Brad does that all I do is post a direct quote of my comment to show proof there was no personal attack in my disagreement.

Can you do that with your post that I commented on?

I'll wait.

As i typed, that was an aside. It wasn't a personal attack as much as it was an observation on your outlandish comparison (analogy).

That was not a good analogy as one thing is a physical, criminal act that can get you jail time and the other is a non-physical act that's done during a game that can get you a 15 yard penalty. There was absolutely nothing common about those instances. 

Then you talked about "The whole point of using an analogy is to present an extreme example to show how flawed the logic is", which is wrong. I can see how you used the comparison based on what you believe an analogy is, but they're both 'wrong' in different ways. 

Using sexual assault in comparison to getting a 15 yard penalty is indeed trivializing it but i'm not focused on that. LL has taken care of that side of it but the timing of using it in this particular thread is peculiar. 

It's not really necessary to debate this any more, so i'll bow out and let others get back to the topic of KB and her landmark appointment.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 04:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What you said is a terrible analogy; but by definition (not the one you gave: "an extreme example to show how flawed the logic is"); an analogy none the less. Now If you would have said "stare" at her boobs instead on "touch" her boobs it would have been more apt and less creepy.

If I were to classify the post I wouldn't consider it an analogy; I'd consider it a false equivalence

I also feel like it was more of a false equivalence. 

Anyway I posted this thread because I thought Katie taking on a bigger role in the NFL is cool.  I agree with Fred's earlier post that the NFL has been traditionally an all boys club.   So to me seeing an executive of the Bengals being the first woman to enter that role is positive.   

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I've been a very big on Katie around here because she's exceptional! This woman is amazing! She'll also be the first woman to oversee a dynasty from the front office.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
Nobody believes me yet but she'll become a movement .
Reply/Quote