Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katie Blackburn responds.....maybe not so soft after all.
Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn is on the competition committee, which approved the scenarios Thursday. In a memo obtained by ESPN's Seth Wickersham, Blackburn urged the committee members to vote against the scenarios. Her reasoning stemmed from the timing of a rule change away from the standard of winning percentages used in this scenario.

"The proper process for making rule change (sic) is in the off-season," Blackburn wrote. "It is not appropriate to put teams in a position to vote for something that may introduce bias, favor one team over another or impact their own situation when the vote takes place immediately before the playoffs."

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Katie needs to issue a statement that the Bengals will not play this Sunday if those changes are passed.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:23 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Katie needs to issue a statement that the Bengals will not play this Sunday if those changes are passed.

Unfortunately that doesn’t effect anyone other than us. They probably would say take your ball and go home. I’m not missing anything am I?

I say, if passed, anyone with the ability to put money on bengals -7 should do that without question.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:26 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Unfortunately that doesn’t effect anyone other than us.  They probably would say take your ball and go home.  I’m not missing anything am I?

I say, if passed, anyone with the ability to put money on bengals -7 should do that without question.

Got them earlier in the week at -6.5 before the line shifted. 

Still bullshit though, and it sure seems like the only difference is that we'll be complaining while taking it up the rear rather than silently taking it. I guess that's better? Somewhat. I'm hoping that's not the end of Katie's efforts. Needs to go out and do some interviews or something.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:26 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Unfortunately that doesn’t effect anyone other than us.  They probably would say take your ball and go home.  I’m not missing anything am I?

Yeah, that only hurts us.... otherwise I'd be down. Joe Mixon tweeted about "not playing by the rules no more" as well. Seems they aren't too thrilled about the decision and are making it known. We'll see what, if anything, shakes loose now. I am glad to see Katie at least speak out publicly against it.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn is on the competition committee, which approved the scenarios Thursday. In a memo obtained by ESPN's Seth Wickersham, Blackburn urged the committee members to vote against the scenarios. Her reasoning stemmed from the timing of a rule change away from the standard of winning percentages used in this scenario.

"The proper process for making rule change (sic) is in the off-season," Blackburn wrote. "It is not appropriate to put teams in a position to vote for something that may introduce bias, favor one team over another or impact their own situation when the vote takes place immediately before the playoffs."

Spoken like a true lawyer. She’s right, but I wish she would be a little more forceful and express some of the outrage most of us feel.
Reply/Quote
Bengals are about to go scorched earth on everyone.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:52 AM)SouthernFan Wrote: Spoken like a true lawyer. She’s right, but I wish she would be a little more forceful and express some of the outrage most of us feel.

How do you know she didn’t?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:52 AM)SouthernFan Wrote: Spoken like a true lawyer. She’s right, but I wish she would be a little more forceful and express some of the outrage most of us feel.

Agree.  
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
That’s a sound argument that should always be followed. Rational minds would agree. Just from that quote I don’t really see anything saying she’s pissed. Sounds calm, thoughtful and bigger picture to me. Not just about this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:55 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: How do you know she didn’t?

Obviously, I meant publicly. The Brown family needs to grow some backbone.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Oh wow Cincy is eating with the complete shit end of the stick. Sounds like any scenario that had the Bengals getting soemthing other than an honorary AFCN title got shot down quickly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm most upset with the fact that if the Bengals and Bills win this week and meet in round 2, it will be played in Buffalo.

If they finished the game Monday we would have earned a second home playoff game by winning.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:03 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: That’s a sound argument that should always be followed. Rational minds would agree. Just from that quote I don’t really see anything saying she’s pissed. Sounds calm, thoughtful and bigger picture to me. Not just about this season.

Oh, I don't think she's pissed, per se, but I think she's probably a little miffed. People earlier in the day were talking like the Bengals brass wouldn't say anything about it being a hose job, but it seems like Katie did. 

I mean she can't go off the deep end and sling chairs at the meeting and boycott the league like some posters on here would like to do, lol. That said, it's a response....and one that shows displeasure. 

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:01 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I'm most upset with the fact that if the Bengals and Bills win this week and meet in round 2, it will be played in Buffalo.

If they finished the game Monday we would have earned a second home playoff game by winning.

There should be a contingency there for sure.

Reply/Quote
Once again the Bengals will advocate to the owners that they should go by the rules and do what's right and the owners will smile and pat them on the head. "Poor, backward, small town team needs to get with the times," they'll say. Then somewhere down the road events will prove them right and everyone will have a short memory.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:46 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think she was sore about it. I think...

She’s saying there was bias in the voting

At least I believe. I could be wrong

Yep. And the scenarios explicity leave out the most obvious scenario, Bills/Bengals. 

We would have to pitentially do a coin flip/nuetral site with Baltimore if we lose, but Buffalo does not have to do one with us? That's preposterous. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:38 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yep. And the scenarios explicity leave out the most obvious scenario, Bills/Bengals. 

We would have to pitentially do a coin flip/nuetral site with Baltimore if we lose, but Buffalo does not have to do one with us? That's preposterous. 

Absolutely agree.

Reply/Quote
Bare minimum adjustments to make this reasonable:

1) If Bengals lose the game and the flip and the Rats get the home playoff game then the Rats also get the first place schedule and lower draft pick.

2) ANY championship game between teams with differing numbers of played games should be neutral site.
Reply/Quote