Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-18-2018, 07:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Saw something on Twitter that I thought was pretty appropriate to all of this. If Kavanaugh is "punished" by not being confirmed to the SCOTUS due to a sexual misconduct allegation, that is the same "punishment" that Merrick Garland faced for merely being appointed by a Democrat.

Never knew Garland was accused of sexual misconduct for simply being appointed by a Democrat; but Kavs very well be simply for being nominated by a Republican.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-18-2018, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never knew Garland was accused of sexual misconduct for simply being appointed by a Democrat; but Kavs very well be simply for being nominated by a Republican.

Bullshit.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-18-2018, 07:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Bullshit.

Oh, Matt announces his presence with authority.

I must admit I did miss where Garland was accused of sexual assault.

(09-18-2018, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, Matt announces his presence with authority.

It was during his committee hearing. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-18-2018, 07:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It was during his committee hearing. 

Gotta admit I've googled Merrick Garland accused of sexual assault and my google is coming up empty. Could you share a link?

(09-18-2018, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, Matt announces his presence with authority.

I must admit, I never knew how much you were willing to misrepresent someone's statements.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-18-2018, 08:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I must admit, I never knew how much you were willing to misrepresent someone's statements.

I read your tweet and the "punishment" Kavanaugh would/has received is not the same as Garland received. Kavs has been drug through the mud, his family has been forced to leave his confirmation hearing because of partisan grandstanding, he stands accused of sexual assault from someone who can tell you nothing other about the incident other than she is sure it was Kavs, his time spent serving as a White House clerk has been classified as him being a secretive shot caller, it is being suggested that the FBI investagate him again after they have done so 6 times before, ....

All Garland got was being a martyr to the left.

So take your bold Bullshit! comment and share it with the idiot that posted it on twitter.

(09-18-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I read your tweet and the "punishment" Kavanaugh would/has received is not the same as Garland received. Kavs has been drug through the mud, his family has been forced to leave his confirmation hearing because of partisan grandstanding, he stands accused of sexual assault from someone who can tell you nothing other about the incident other than she is sure it was Kavs, his time spent serving as a White House clerk has been classified as him being a secretive shot caller, it is being suggested that the FBI investagate him again after they have done so 6 times before, ....

So take your bold Bullshit! comment and share it with the idiot that posted it on twitter.

You see, if you had said you disagree with my assertion that the only punishment that Kavanaugh might receive was not being on th ebench and had articulated these sentiments in the first place, then we would have never gotten to this. Instead, you decided to make a snarky and childish straw man attack on my statement.

You want to ***** and moan about the environment in here, yet you aren't willing to look in the mirror and correct your own behavior. If you want to have reasoned and rational debates, then you need to check your own shit.

(09-18-2018, 08:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You see, if you had said you disagree with my assertion that the only punishment that Kavanaugh might receive was not being on th ebench and had articulated these sentiments in the first place, then we would have never gotten to this. Instead, you decided to make a snarky and childish straw man attack on my statement.

You want to ***** and moan about the environment in here, yet you aren't willing to look in the mirror and correct your own behavior. If you want to have reasoned and rational debates, then you need to check your own shit.
Bullshit!

There was no strawman; your post was challenged on its own ridiculous merit. You're the one that tried to "make a point" with something from some obviously biased source on twitter. The assertion was idiotic and I gave it a twitter-like response. No one misrepresented what was said despite your assertions to the contrary.

My responses have been reasoned and rational, just go back and read the thread.

(09-18-2018, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bullshit!

There was no strawman; your post was challenged on its own ridiculous merit. You're the one that tried to "make a point" with something from some obviously biased source on twitter. The assertion was idiotic and I gave it a twitter-like response. No one misrepresented what was said despite your assertions to the contrary.

My responses have been reasoned and rational, just go back and read the thread.

Whatever you want to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. I thought that maybe this could give us a reset into an actual discussion about it, but apparently I was wrong. Your response was an absolute strawman, you even implied it in your response explaining your thoughts on why the punishments were different. You understood the statement, but chose to misrepresent it in your initial response instead of addressing it in a reasonable way.

(09-18-2018, 08:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Whatever you want to tell yourself to make yourself feel better. I thought that maybe this could give us a reset into an actual discussion about it, but apparently I was wrong. Your response was an absolute strawman, you even implied it in your response explaining your thoughts on why the punishments were different. You understood the statement, but chose to misrepresent it in your initial response instead of addressing it in a reasonable way.

I understood that the twitter post you shared was inaccurate and largely biased and I shared my opinion as such. If that didn't meet your standard of a genuine reply to an obvious inaccurate and biased twitter post then my apologies.

I don't have to tell myself anything to make me feel better. Your guy's posts are really all I need.

WTS, I'm done with it. Go back on twitter and let the author know how witty he/she is. Maybe that will make then feel better about themselves.

(09-18-2018, 01:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: I had to requote this paragraph after reading this tweet:

Is that really how it is now? Seems like “she was drunk so it’s rape” is today’s standard.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-18-2018, 07:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Saw something on Twitter that I thought was pretty appropriate to all of this. If Kavanaugh is "punished" by not being confirmed to the SCOTUS due to a sexual misconduct allegation, that is the same "punishment" that Merrick Garland faced for merely being appointed by a Democrat.

That’s fine and I get the Dems giving some payback but please let’s not pretend it’s something else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I’m curious if it’s true that this story was ready to go in 2012 and say on once Obama won.

(09-18-2018, 07:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never knew Garland was accused of sexual misconduct for simply being appointed by a Democrat; but Kavs very well be simply for being nominated by a Republican.

Careful...you "non"bias is showing again.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-18-2018, 08:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I read your tweet and the "punishment" Kavanaugh would/has received is not the same as Garland received. Kavs has been drug through the mud, his family has been forced to leave his confirmation hearing because of partisan grandstanding, he stands accused of sexual assault from someone who can tell you nothing other about the incident other than she is sure it was Kavs, his time spent serving as a White House clerk has been classified as him being a secretive shot caller, it is being suggested that the FBI investagate him again after they have done so 6 times before, ....

Really great middle-of-the-road, let's be fair post there!

Almost like you very partisan....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-18-2018, 09:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Careful...you "non"bias is showing again.   Mellow

(09-18-2018, 09:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: Really great middle-of-the-road, let's be fair post there!

Almost like you very partisan....

Please do try and stay on the thread topic.
(09-18-2018, 08:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You see, if you had said you disagree with my assertion that the only punishment that Kavanaugh might receive was not being on th ebench and had articulated these sentiments in the first place, then we would have never gotten to this. Instead, you decided to make a snarky and childish straw man attack on my statement.

Damn, Matt.  I've never seen you lose it like this.  While I get your point I don't wholly disagree with bfine's assertion that the tweet you shared isn't exactly a fair statement.  That being said, it's certainly not worth getting upset over.
(09-18-2018, 06:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: She doesn't know where the party was

She doesn't know how she got there

She doesn't know how she got home

She was drinking

Her political views are completely contrary to the way Kavs has adjudicated in the past

She never mentions a name in the Dr's notes, but husband clearly remembers her saying a name

Just to name a few

Note to self: Never hire Fred if I'm in a bind.

All of these things are exactly what Fred would bring up in court.  You missed the biggest one though, that the memories were thirty years old before she revealed them to anyone.  While this doesn't disqualify her recollection any person involved in this profession would eat that single fact raw.  Witness and victim testimony is often inconsistent and very often changes over time.  If Fred was being honest he'd admit that a common defense attorney tactic is to delay trial so witness and victim recollections of the attack can degrade over time.  Definitive the night of becomes I'm not sure ten months later, much less thirty years.  Again none of these factors means she's not telling the truth, but every one of them makes the possibility that her story isn't wholly based in fact a more likely possibility.

I was hoping Fred would be honest for a change when I asked him that question.  He clearly dodged is as he doesn't want to be associated with the inevitable GOP response to this allegation, nor does he want to be portrayed as unsympathetic to a alleged victim of sexual assault.  We get it, Fed, but going after the very factors that bfine and I brought up would be your job and if you didn't do exactly that you'd be monstrously incompetent at best.  Being a defense attorney is a difficult job, you have to defend some of the worst people on Earth to the best of your ability.  It's a shame Fred couldn't share some actual insight with us in this case.
(09-18-2018, 09:10 AM)Benton Wrote: The POTUS has admitted sexual assault, but you'd likely find 65 women, many of them on the religious right, who would speak to how swell a guy he is. Letters like this dont add or subtract, they only distract.

Which POTUS? Clinton?

So you're implying the 65 women that vouched for Kav could be from the religious right as well? I don't understand where you're going with that.

These women have known him since high school and have broad political views.

The fact that no other woman has yet to come forward in 35yrs with accusations of sexual assault should tell you something.

[Image: biche2.jpg]