Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Keeping Tee Higgins is not that impossible.
Joe's extension likely increases our current cap space to 20M or more this season, which is more than enough for any potential signing bonus for Tee.

Joe & Tee's extensions could potentially be very affordable next season making it easy to sign Chase.

Joe's 7 yr deal allows for extreme flexibility to sign both these WRs.

2 things to understand: proration and large cap increases.

Proration: Providing a large signing bonus usually results in the 1st two season's being very affordable salary wise. (2023 & 2024)
Joe's 29M salary this season could be lowered to 1M, and potentially less than 40M next season. If he receives a singing bonus of 100M in cash this year it is prorated at 20M over the next 5 seasons. Thus his cap hit this season would only be 21M instead of the previous 29M, freeing up 8M for a total of 20M available cap.

Tee could receive a 3 year/80M deal with a 40M signing bonus.
His current salary cap hit is 4M that likely stays the same, but add the 10M signing bonus and it increases to 14M. Which would could potentially still leave 6M in cap space this season.

Both of these scenarios involve Tee and Joe's annual salaries increasing well above their AAV numbers in 3 years. But that is ok. The salary cap this year is 224M, but based upon the new TV contracts the cap is expected to be over 300M in 2026. The gambling money will begin increasing the cap as well.

There is room for the Big 3.

This could go a million different ways, but it is doable.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Joe's extension likely increases our current cap space to 20M or more this season, which is more than enough for any potential signing bonus for Tee.

Joe & Tee's extensions could potentially be very affordable next season making it easy to sign Chase.

2 things to understand:  Proration and large cap increases.

Proration: Providing a large signing bonus usually results in the 1st two season's being very affordable salary wise. (2023 & 2024)
Joe's 29M salary this season could be lowered to 1M, and potentially less than 20M next season.  If he receives a singing bonus of 100M in cash this year it is prorated at 20M over the next 5 seasons.  Thus his cap hit this season would only be 21M instead of the previous 29M, freeing up 8M for a total of 20M available cap.

His current salary cap hit is 4M that likely stays the same, but add the 10M signing bonus and it increases to 14M.  Which would could potentially still leave 6M in cap space this season.

Both of these scenarios involve Tee and Joe's annual salaries increasing well above their AAV numbers in 3 years.  But that is ok.  The salary cap this year is 224M, but based upon the new TV contracts the cap is expected to be over 300M in 2026.  The gambling money will begin increasing the cap as well.

Of course it is doable the argument is it worth it to handcuff team in other areas, I  don't think so.. we were to better served to invest deeper in other positions and draft a WR 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Of course it is doable the argument is it worth it to handcuff team in other areas, I  don't think so.. we were to better served to invest deeper in other positions and draft a WR 

I guess you missed the part where I stated the high contracts of the 3 would likely begin in 2026 when the cap increases by 75M...?

"Handcuff" is so very subjective.  Joe's deal handcuffs us in waaaay more ways for way longer.  It is all about value and priority.  In regards to value what number is Higgins?

If Joe is #1, Chase #2....?  

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Joe's extension likely increases our current cap space to 20M or more this season, which is more than enough for any potential signing bonus for Tee.

2 things to understand:  proration and large cap increases.

Joe's 29M salary this season could be lowered to 1M, and potentially less than 40M next season.  If he receives a singing bonus of 100M in cash this year it is prorated at 20M over the next 5 seasons.  Thus his cap hit this season would only be 21M instead of the previous 29M, freeing up 8M for a total of 20M available cap.

His current salary cap hit is 4M that likely stays the same, but add the 10M signing bonus and it increases to 14M.  Which would could potentially still leave 6M in cap space this season.

Both of these scenarios involve Tee and Joe's annual salaries increasing well above their AAV numbers in 3 years.  But that is ok.  The salary cap this year is 224M, but based upon the new TV contracts the cap is expected to be over 300M in 2026.  The gambling money will begin increasing the cap as well.

Yep, there are different ways to structure deals. Take an example of 3 yrs- 75m for Tee. With a 30m signing bonus plus one void year...his average cap hit would only be 21m. Of course, you'll have a cap hit of 6m the year after his deal ends, but it would be worth it for pretty damn reasonable hits during the deal.
Reply/Quote
I’m not going for it.Sure,it’s possible to make it work,but it’s not what’s best for the team moving forward.Remember,Ja’amar Chase payday will arrive shortly,and we definitely have to sign him.You want practically half the cap space gobbled up by 3 players?
We’ve seen teams do this in the past,and it didn’t end well.
Reply/Quote
I would imagine no matter how high the cap would go the players salaries rise accordingly. Prudent management overall would still be a general allotted amount per ‘area’ that wouldn’t change drastically? Still couldn’t afford to load up in one area, QB and 2 prime WR’s without neglecting another area.
Love Tee but a bundle of cap space taken in one place doesn’t make too much sense. But I’ve got faith in the FO regime to juggle things to get a lot done.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I guess you missed the part where I stated the high contracts of the 3 would likely begin in 2026 when the cap increases by 75M...?

"Handcuff" is so very subjective.  Joe's deal handcuffs us in waaaay more ways for way longer.  It is all about value and priority.  In regards to value what number is Higgins?

If Joe is #1, Chase #2....?  
It is not subjective the point is we can use $$ not signing him and the draft capital we get trading with for more positions that is not subjective it is a different objective 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 07:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is not subjective the point is we can use $$ not signing him and the draft capital we get trading with for more positions that is not subjective it is a different objective 

Just curious...what cap number would you be OK with keeping Tee at, if any? Would you do the example I gave in post 4?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 07:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just curious...what cap number would you be OK with keeping Tee at, if any? Would you do the example I gave in post 4?

Personally I’m good up to 25 per

Higher than that and I’m like what’s happening. He’s amazing but his stats don’t tell me he’s getting more than that
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 06:29 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I’m not going for it.Sure,it’s possible to make it work,but it’s not what’s best for the team moving forward.Remember,Ja’amar Chase payday will arrive shortly,and we definitely have to sign him.You want practically half the cap space gobbled up by 3 players?
We’ve seen teams do this in the past,and it didn’t end well.

When would we be using HALF the cap to pay 3 players?

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 06:32 PM)wanga Wrote: I would imagine no matter how high the cap would go the players salaries rise accordingly. Prudent management overall would still be a general allotted amount per ‘area’ that wouldn’t change drastically? Still couldn’t afford to load up in one area, QB and 2 prime WR’s without neglecting another area.
Love Tee but a bundle of cap space taken in one place doesn’t make too much sense. But I’ve got faith in the FO regime to juggle things to get a lot done.

With Joe alone, areas will be "neglected" to certain level.

Reply/Quote
We absolutely need to keep one of the best big WRs in the league. Having the big mismatch problem across from Chase demanding your best cover guy. It is a big deal and we need to keep what we have, the proven formula that is working.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:02 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We absolutely need to keep one of the best big WRs in the league. Having the big mismatch problem across from Chase demanding your best cover guy. It is a big deal and we need to keep what we have, the proven formula that is working.

The only time I can think in the salary cap era where a team with a top paid QB and two top paid WRs won the Super Bowl was the 2006 Colts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Tee has pretty much proven to be a big threat. He's not an easy replace.
Reply/Quote
Johnathan Joseph and the Vikings failed to reach a deal so the Wide Receiver market is still up in the air. The Bengals need to get Chase done quickly after the season to set the market themselves before Joseph does then they can see where Tee is after.

Johnathan Joseph not signing affects the Bengals alot.

Edit Bama vs Texas time!
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Johnathan Joseph and the Vikings failed to reach a deal so the Wide Receiver market is still up in the air. The Bengals need to get Chase done quickly after the season to set the market themselves before Joseph does then they can see where Tee is after.

Edit Bama vs Texas time!

I'm not sure how the Vikings failing to bring Johnathan Joseph out of retirement impacts the WR market?

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:17 PM)Synric Wrote: Johnathan Joseph and the Vikings failed to reach a deal so the Wide Receiver market is still up in the air. The Bengals need to get Chase done quickly after the season to set the market themselves before Joseph does then they can see where Tee is after.

Edit Bama vs Texas time!

Who? P

Reply/Quote
It's Saturday night...
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:09 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Tee has pretty much proven to be a big threat.  He's not an easy replace.

No he is  not. Some believe on here all you gotta do is 
Draft a WR from the Ivy League and from America's
Heartland and waaa-la you can show Tee the door.
Tee has so many intangibles you can't coach up.
Radius, outrageous hops, the ability to break tackles 
If you re-did that draft class Tee would have gone Top 15. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who? P

Haha Burbon from a flask in a stadium lol. I mean Justin Jefferson. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote