Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
(09-08-2023, 04:34 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Tee saying he wants to be a #1, yeah he's gone, hope we win in the next 2 years.

This raises the odds of a sign and trade setup after this season utilizing the franchise tag. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You actually might have to extremely front-load Tee's contract so it's a lot less of a hit when Chase's contract hits, or sign Higgins to just a 2-year deal (which I doubt he'll do).

We all knew this luxury of having your QB and WRs on cheap contracts was going to end at some point.
Every team has to deal with situations like this.
It will be on the team to figure out how to address spots with cheap vets and draft picks while the select few high-paid guys are under contract.

By the time the young secondary comes up for their veteran contracts (they'll be FAs in 2026/2027), we'll probably be talking about who of those guys will walk and/or worrying about the new LBs once Wilson and Pratt hit FA again.
Circle of (cap) life.

It's very doable IMO, except in the case that Tee's looking for something outlandish.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: This raises the odds of a sign and trade setup after this season utilizing the franchise tag. 

What else would he say though... 'I want to prove I'm a 2'?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's very doable IMO, except in the case that Tee's looking for something outlandish.

Not sure if you already looked at the cap for next year, but Bengals "only" have $66 mill in cap next year, which is assuming cap will be ~$250 mill (which might be overly optimistic).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What else would he say though... 'I want to prove I'm a 2'?

That is what I was about to say. All I heard was Tee saying he wants to prove he is a 1 as he hasn't proven that yet...
Reply/Quote
Tee finds a mysterious briefcase in his locker. Says nothing, grabs it, goes home. Next day, announces he is fine playing as a #2 receiver.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 06:15 PM)Destro Wrote: Tee finds a mysterious briefcase in his locker. Says nothing, grabs it, goes home. Next day, announces he is fine playing as a #2 receiver.

It's doable, and I know just the briefcase we'll need.

[Image: tenor.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure if you already looked at the cap for next year, but Bengals "only" have $66 mill in cap next year, which is assuming cap will be ~$250 mill (which might be overly optimistic).

I don’t think the deal can get done with Tees agent. But as to your post there will need to be some cuts. Collins, Karras, Hilton, Mixon, Hubbard, B.J Hill. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It's crazy how quickly we forgot this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/duke-tobin-on-trading-tee-higgins-ridiculous-nfl-teams-want-a-receiver-go-find-your-own

Yes things change, but this is straight from the horses mouth. Not some random nobody beat reporter making shit up with "sources"
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
They need to turn their focus to a more reasonable Boyd. Pacifying the fan base by keeping 2 out of the big 3. A Boyd deal seems far more doable since it shouldn’t be a blockbuster.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 06:33 PM)basballguy Wrote: It's crazy how quickly we forgot this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/duke-tobin-on-trading-tee-higgins-ridiculous-nfl-teams-want-a-receiver-go-find-your-own

Yes things change, but this is straight from the horses mouth.  Not some random nobody beat reporter making shit up with "sources"

They’ll try to win a Super Bowl with Tee. They won’t trade him. They will tag him. We just have to sit back and enjoy these next two years, and let the chips fall. 

If the reports are correct and they were never even close with Tee then maybe they can extend Reader or Chido now.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's very doable IMO, except in the case that Tee's looking for something outlandish.

Now as an exercise take a look at today's roster according to salary cap...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

...as of right now at least they currently combine for a ~$24m cap hit in 2023.

You might say "but the salary cap is going to raise by $20m next year!" but then you have to remember that is already getting eaten up by guys who will have larger cap hits next year. Orlando Brown's cap hit is going to raise by $6m, Trey Hendrickson's will rise by $5m, Nick Scott will rise by $2m, and Wilson/Karras/Pratt will rise by about a combined $7m. The $20m rise is already gone and you haven't added anyone and there's more guys making more to go.

So now you need to look at the current roster and figure out where that extra $50m is going to come from. Jonah, Mixon, and BJ Hill seem like the easier answers but that only saves you about $23.5m or so once you replace them with roughly league minimum players and you still need to shed $26.5m more while being weaker at a couple positions.

It's doable, sure, but it's not very doable. The roster will take a huge hit in talent across the board in order to make it happen. It won't be anywhere near as complete of a roster if you sink that much into your QB and two WRs.

The math was never favorable for keeping Tee if you wanted to keep the rest of your roster any good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 06:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don’t think the deal can get done with Tees agent. But as to your post there will need to be some cuts. Collins, Karras, Hilton, Mixon, Hubbard, B.J Hill. 

So we finally get a decent Center after searching for about 2 decades only to cut the guy right in front of our QB we just paid...

Makes a lot of sense. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So we finally get a decent Center after searching for about 2 decades only to cut the guy right in front of our QB we just paid...

Makes a lot of sense. Mellow

I mean. All the cuts will be tough if Tee is extended. Karras I’d think would be a cap casualty due to age and he is only decent. I’m still not sure if he’s good or just better than what we had.

Hubbard would be the interesting one given Murphy looks more Hubbard than Hendrickson who wielded his power by forcing an extension after 2 years of a 4 year deal. 

I can see Hubbard getting Big Whitted (although he wasn’t cut) for the 1st round pick that was previously selected to fill the spot even tho it had it been earned. 

Or on a more positive note maybe Murphy flashes and needs to start. 

We’ve got replacements for the rest.

Reply/Quote
If they can’t sign him, I hope they tag and trade him. Tee ending up on some team in the division would be more than I could take.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some aren't going to like the sound of this, but paying huge money to two top recevers, along with a premier franchise QB is just wasteful.  It robs the team of the ability to put a strong "rest of the team" around them.  When you have a true franchise QB like Joe Burrow, he will develop average players into stars.  Just put the spending where it belongs, on an OL and solid defense.

I am curious to see how Boyd/Higgins perform on other teams. Not curious enough to let them go but curious non the less. Is Burrow elevating these guys level of play? Guess we won’t know till one leaves. Other than Moss and Welker, Brady hasn’t had stellar WR’s on their SB runs. Maybe a guy here and there and a couple TE’s but certainly not 2 #1 WR’s and a bunch of #2’s. I do think Boyd will be gone after this year. It I really think they will do what they can to keep Higgs. Hope we can but I completely understand if we can’t.

Our lines desperately need improving, both lines. I think with a solid Oline Burrow might be good enough to elevate C. Jones and the Hawaiian (can’t spell his name). Joe has been sacked more than any QB the last few years. Our run game has been meh at best, yet he still balls out. If we ever get this Oline to gel look out. And with a stud D line, the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote
I’d love to keep Tee but if you run with a Chase and one of your draftees, like a Iosias, kicks on to fill that 2 role then I’m happy with that. Leave money elsewhere for the trenches imo.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I mean. All the cuts will be tough if Tee is extended. Karras I’d think would be a cap casualty due to age and he is only decent. I’m still not sure if he’s good or just better than what we had.

Hubbard would be the interesting one given Murphy looks more Hubbard than Hendrickson who wielded his power by forcing an extension after 2 years of a 4 year deal. 

I can see Hubbard getting Big Whitted (although he wasn’t cut) for the 1st round pick that was previously selected to fill the spot even tho it had it been earned. 

Or on a more positive note maybe Murphy flashes and needs to start. 

We’ve got replacements for the rest.

This is why I tag Tee next year and either trade him or let him go into FA the following year. The last thing we need to do is cut 
the players that make Joey Brrr's life easier and that starts with Ted Karras. I know he is only decent but we have had one hell of
a time finding decent at the Center position since Braham's bone bruise.

We can find good WR's in the Draft, we have a proven record of it and IoChivosh looks to be the perfect replacement for Tee in a
couple of years and if not, we can draft one early next year. Much more likely hood of hitting on a late 1st round Receiver than a 
Center or anywhere in the trenches. I try as hard as possible to keep the trenches strong and keep Chase here.

I also don't like the thought of cutting Hubbard either, but you are right and Murphy's game fits his much more than Hendrickson's.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:51 PM)wanga Wrote: I’d love to keep Tee but if you run with a Chase and one of your draftees, like a Iosias, kicks on to fill that 2 role then I’m happy with that. Leave money elsewhere for the trenches imo.

Iosivas you watch develop as you franchise tag Tee. If he develops good to go. If not sign a free agent ( they want to come here) or draft another.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Now as an exercise take a look at today's roster according to salary cap...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

...as of right now at least they currently combine for a ~$24m cap hit in 2023.

You might say "but the salary cap is going to raise by $20m next year!" but then you have to remember that is already getting eaten up by guys who will have larger cap hits next year. Orlando Brown's cap hit is going to raise by $6m, Trey Hendrickson's will rise by $5m, Nick Scott will rise by $2m, and Wilson/Karras/Pratt will rise by about a combined $7m. The $20m rise is already gone and you haven't added anyone and there's more guys making more to go.

So now you need to look at the current roster and figure out where that extra $50m is going to come from. Jonah, Mixon, and BJ Hill seem like the easier answers but that only saves you about $23.5m or so once you replace them with roughly league minimum players and you still need to shed $26.5m more while being weaker at a couple positions.

It's doable, sure, but it's not very doable. The roster will take a huge hit in talent across the board in order to make it happen. It won't be anywhere near as complete of a roster if you sink that much into your QB and two WRs.

The math was never favorable for keeping Tee if you wanted to keep the rest of your roster 

Spotrac has the Bengals at an estimated 93m in cap space going into 2024. Once you factor in Joe's 5th year option of 29m and with Chase already being accounted for..that still leaves 54m.
Reply/Quote