Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(04-08-2021, 06:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Your arguments change based on your perception of the other person’s politics?  So I would be ok in suggesting the converse? You want compulsory voting because it would help Democrats.

If you’d like, you can list the things you agree with conservatives on and I’ll list the things I agree with liberals on.

Not at all. I already stated why I wanted compulsory voting. I didn't like leadership being chosen by just over 1/4 of the adults. That's not a true representation of the population and not even close to Democracy's majority rules. This is how in the recent past you'd get school districts making the bible a science book. That's embarrassing. If the majority are Conservatives, so be it. I'm of the belief that they are over represented, partially due to laws like the one this thread is supposed to be about.

My voting stances as an Independent aren't like a Democrats or a Republicans so your offer is backwards as to why I'm an Independent. Most R & D voters chose their parties because they believe in their platforms. I'm an Independent because I disagree with much of both parties platforms. It's just that in the last 25 years, both parties have moved further from Center and the right has given me far more to disagree with or be disgusted by than the left has(witness: the last four years). I'm not interested in politics because of my beliefs, I'm more interested because of my concerns and a lot of that comes from spending some time outside of the country and getting different perspectives on how we are perceived outside of our borders. You may not give a shit about Germany or Australia or Panama, but you might if 50% of your nightly news was about one of these countries like their news is about the USA.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 05:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You'll please forgive me for this observation, but your posting history in this sub-forum would not lend itself to conclude you were a centrist, or anything other than left leaning.

My participation in this forum comes only after about 3 & 3/4 years of one of the most ****** up things that I've ever seen in my life, Trumpism. In that short time(5-6 months?), the left has given me nothing close to that ridiculous to be up in arms about. If the left was embracing mis-information as much as the right, that would be different.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 07:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: My participation in this forum comes only after about 3 & 3/4 years of one of the most ****** up things that I've ever seen in my life, Trumpism. In that short time(5-6 months?), the left has given me nothing close to that ridiculous to be up in arms about. If the left was embracing mis-information as much as the right, that would be different.

Oh, I can get being upset with Trump and many of his actions.  I just don't recall you ever having something negative to say about the Dems.  I get this accusation hurled at me as well, so I get the frustration, but, as I said, your posts here have come off as largely partisan.  Hopefully that will change now with Trump out of office.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 06:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: I was rather describing than construeing. You confronted him with all kinds of republican stances that were not his own expressed stances.
The first mention was a legitimate question, not a stance. 
line 1 . . . Why not? Because Republicans would never win another election?

The second mention was a joke that fell flat. Republicans aren't known for wanting to pay taxes. A lame joke. It happens.
Then why do you file taxes every year? Because Republicans want to?

The third and fourth mentions were attempts to get this discussion back onto the topic of this thread.
Oh, I get it. These "freedoms" or "liberties" Republicans supposedly care so much about usually evolve around their "right" to take away other peoples rights.

The people wanted what the Democrats offered . . . and the ***** Republicans changed the rules. 

I disagree with your evaluation.

Quote:hollodero

This continues to amaze me. Imho. You either critizise their style or make it your own, you can't have it both ways. If you display the same behaviour, you just as much deserve to be called out on it like republicans deserve it in your view.
Sorry, but like I said. This is not my first dance with him. Some have been discussions, most are straight up disagreements.
Quote:hollodero

You do realize though that one does not need to be a republican to be opposed to mandated voting.
I guess many independents and democrats are not on board with this idea too.
I would guess that the Independents and Democrats that disagree would be considerably lower than the Republicans. Very few ideas receive 100% agreeance.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The first mention was a legitimate question, not a stance. 
line 1 . . . Why not? Because Republicans would never win another election?

The second mention was a joke that fell flat. Republicans aren't known for wanting to pay taxes. A lame joke. It happens.
Then why do you file taxes every year? Because Republicans want to?

The third and fourth mentions were attempts to get this discussion back onto the topic of this thread.
Oh, I get it. These "freedoms" or "liberties" Republicans supposedly care so much about usually evolve around their "right" to take away other peoples rights.

The people wanted what the Democrats offered . . . and the ***** Republicans changed the rules. 

I disagree with your evaluation.

Sorry, but like I said. This is not my first dance with him. Some have been discussions, most are straight up disagreements.
I would guess that the Independents and Democrats that disagree would be considerably lower than the Republicans. Very few ideas receive 100% agreeance.

I gotta ask. When have we had big discussions? I mean I’m sure I’ve replied to you and vise verse but I don’t remember us having drawn out arguments. I really don’t do that much, and when I do it’s usually not a partisan topic. It’s usually very specific.

Edit: And I’m not a big fan of people ascribing motive even when the person tells them they are incorrect.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: line 1 . . . Why not? Because Republicans would never win another election?

Yeah, that is exactly the oversimplification so many Americans on both sides engage in. There's plenty other reasons to be opposed to mandatory voting than helping Republicans. For one, it would be quite a severe intervention in people's free choices. For two, you'd have a whole lot more completely ignorant people making a decision that would probably get even more random and populism-driven. And so on.

Are these viable points, one might discuss. But you disregard such points and rather accuse the other of wanting to help the Republican Party if he's opposed to your idea. You make it yourself real easy with this type of argument.

As for the other lines, there's no need to go through them line by line. You repeatedly confronted Mr. michaelsean with republican standponts that were not expressed by him and could not reasonably be attributed to him with any certainty.

(04-08-2021, 07:51 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I would guess that the Independents and Democrats that disagree would be considerably lower than the Republicans. Very few ideas receive 100% agreeance.

Well, again, that is not all that persuasive, the whole premise of that argument that is. You could declare many things viable with that line, eg. imprisoning Trump on the spot or whatever. Seems needless to say, but just more Republicans opposing something doesn't make it right.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 07:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I gotta ask. When have we had big discussions?  I mean I’m sure I’ve replied to you and vise verse but I don’t remember us having drawn out arguments. I really don’t do that much, and when I do it’s usually not a partisan topic. It’s usually very specific.

Edit: And I’m not a big fan of people ascribing motive even when the person tells them they are incorrect.

We've never had a big discussion, most comments were a couple of back and forths(sp?) in the flow of a thread and, not all, but most were disagreements. I actually dug back several pages but realized I'm not going to read through multiple threads looking for our interactions.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 09:14 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: We've never had a big discussion, most comments were a couple of back and forths(sp?) in the flow of a thread and, not all, but most were disagreements. I actually dug back several pages but realized I'm not going to read through multiple threads looking for our interactions.

Yeah no need. I just don’t recall anything specific that stands out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm not for mandatory voting.  I am for not making voting as hard as possible.  I've supported either making it a holiday or moving it to the weekend.  Tuesday voting is antiquated and we can do better now.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 09:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah, I'm not for mandatory voting.  I am for not making voting as hard as possible.  I've supported either making it a holiday or moving it to the weekend.  Tuesday voting is antiquated and we can do better now.

You have like a month to vote. At least here you did. Unless you mean the local polls. You had to go to the BoE for early voting.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 09:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You have like a month to vote. At least here you did. Unless you mean the local polls. You had to go to the BoE for early voting.

Right but there are ways to limit it no matter the time frame and there are ways to make it easier and better too.

CO mails applications for mail in voting to everyone.  GA sets a window for requesting the application and then a window to get that vote in.

To me there is zero reason to make it harder other than you WANT less people to vote which seems wrong to me.  And than desire to make it harder for everyone to even have access to voting in today's age is coming from the right.  There must be a reason...right?

For example:

[Image: Eyd1DMzWUAI3qwG?format=jpg&name=medium]

Matt Walsh
Quote:[/url]
Matt Walsh is a writer, speaker, author, and one of the religious Right’s most influential young voices. He is known for boldly tackling the tough subjects and speaking out on faith and culture in a way that connects with his generation and beyond.

[Image: Eyd1F2YXAAAKFL0?format=jpg&name=medium]

[url=https://alliebethstuckey.com/]Allie Beth Stuckey

Quote:LEARN MORE ABOUT MESEEN ON: BLAZETV, FOX NEWS, PRAGERU, THE BEN SHAPIRO SHOW AND MOREI host a podcast called Relatable, where we analyze culture, news and politics from a biblical perspective. 

[Image: Eyd1H9DXAAE7d6T?format=jpg&name=medium]
Dan McLaughlin

[Image: Eyd2Ae9WgAIotWr?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote