Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(04-05-2021, 07:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sigh...

It is punishable if you aren't a poll worker...

Just..... holy ****...

They don't want political groups giving out water to people. You can still bring your own, you can still get it from a poll worker.

Why is it my friends in GA are less outraged then random guys on a message board??? This amazes me.

Why do you keep talking about it?

This is only one part of the bill.

What about the rest?  Or are the complaints about it "BS" still based on that graph you had an opinion about?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 07:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Sigh...

It is punishable if you aren't a poll worker...

Just..... holy ****...

They don't want political groups giving out water to people. You can still bring your own, you can still get it from a poll worker.

Why is it my friends in GA are less outraged then random guys on a message board??? This amazes me.

Oh I am so sorry I understand how people participating and voting is a necessary part of a representative democracy.  

And again, you are missing the irony of saying people are outraged over a law made from people litterally being outraged that people vote. 

Are you just going to completely ignore my question? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://djhjmedia.com/rich/washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 07:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://djhjmedia.com/rich/washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law

Bruh, this is straight up trash trying to push the stolen election narrative smh
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 07:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: https://djhjmedia.com/rich/washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=washington-post-slams-joe-biden-with-four-pinocchios-for-lying-about-new-georgia-voting-law

So two things:

1) That is a god awful partisan opinion piece you shared.  At least you could have shared the actual article on what Biden said.

2) Biden did indeed get it wrong...but because you didn't share the article you left out a good bit of info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/30/biden-falsely-claims-new-georgia-law-ends-voting-hours-early/

Quote:[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The Facts[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]On Election Day in Georgia, polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and if you are in line by 7 p.m., you are allowed to cast your ballot. Nothing in the new law changes those rules.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]However, the law did make some changes to early voting. But experts say the net effect was to expand the opportunities to vote for most Georgians, not limit them.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]“You can criticize the bill for many things, but I don’t think you can criticize it for reducing the hours you can vote,” said University of Georgia political scientist Charles S. Bullock III. He speculated that Biden may have been briefed on an early version of the bill — “there were 25 versions floating around” — and he did not get an update on the final version.[/color]
[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]For instance, at one point lawmakers considered nixing all early voting on Sundays, thus eliminating “souls to the polls,” a get-out-the-vote initiative popular with predominantly Black churches. But that idea was scrapped in the end.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]“One of the biggest changes in the bill would expand early voting access for most counties, adding an additional mandatory Saturday and formally codifying Sunday voting hours as optional,” Stephen Fowler of Georgia Public Broadcasting said in an excellent and comprehensive report on the impact of the new law. “Counties can have early voting open as long as 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., or 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at minimum. If you live in a larger metropolitan county, you might not notice a change. For most other counties, you will have an extra weekend day, and your weekday early voting hours will likely be longer.”[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Charles Stewart III, an election expert at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said: “I had also heard this generally reported as expanding early voting, so I’m surprised by the characterization.” He studied the precise language changes at our request and said it indicated an expansion of hours, especially in rural counties.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]So where would Biden get this perception that ordinary workers were getting the shaft because the state would “end voting at five o’clock"? We have one clue.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The law used to say early “voting shall be conducted during normal business hours.” Experts said that generally means 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The new law makes it specific — “beginning at 9:00 AM and ending at 5:00 PM.” A Georgia election official said the change was made in part because some rural county election offices only worked part time during the week, not a full eight-hour day, so the shift to more specific times makes it clear they must be open every weekday for at least eight hours.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]But, as noted, the law also allows individual counties to set the hours anywhere between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. So the practical effect of the 5 p.m. reference in the law is minimal.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]During the 2020 election, for instance, vote-rich Fulton County, with a substantial Black population, set early-voting hours at 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on most weekdays and two Saturdays, though the last weekdays had 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. voting hours. Voting was allowed on two Sundays between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Under the new law, Fulton County could set the exact same hours for in-person early voting — or expand them from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Bullock noted that one change in the law may impact early voting in runoff elections. The law reduced the period between the initial election and the runoff election, from nine to four weeks, potentially shortening the period for early voting.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]We were curious what the early-voting rules were in Delaware, Biden’s home state. It turns out Delaware did not allow any in-person early voting in 2020. A law signed in 2019 will permit early voting starting in 2022. (Voting hours are 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day.)[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]We sought an explanation from the White House for the reason for Biden’s remarks but did not receive an on-the-record response.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The Pinocchio Test[/color]
[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Biden framed his complaint in terms of a slap at working people. The law would “end voting at five o’clock when working people are just getting off work” or “ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over.”[/color]
[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Many listeners might assume he was talking about voting on Election Day, not early voting. But Election Day hours were not changed.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]As for early voting, the law made a modest change, replacing a vague “normal business hours” — presumed to be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — to a more specific 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. time period. But that’s the minimum. Under the new law, counties have the option to extend the voting hours so voters can start casting ballots as early as 7 a.m. and as late as 7 p.m. — the same as Election Day in Georgia. Moreover, an additional mandatory day of early voting on Saturday was added and two days of early voting on Sunday were codified as an option for counties.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]One could understand a flub in a news conference. But then this same claim popped up in an official presidential statement. Not a single expert we consulted who has studied the law understood why Biden made this claim, as this was the section of law that expanded early voting for many Georgians.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it “among the outrageous parts” of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case. The president earns Four Pinocchios.[/color]

[color=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Four Pinocchios[/color]

I bolded the parts of the law that do indeed say voting should end at 5pm...even if they can still change that on a county by county basis.

Another example is the bill also expands the number of drop off boxes in rural areas...while reducing them in more populated areas.  So one can easily say it is easing voting...for some areas.

You link said Biden lied worse than Trump:

Quote:On Tuesday, Glenn Kessler, a Washington Post fact-checker, hit President Joe Biden with Four Pinocchios, which is the worst rating they give out for telling blatant lies, over a bald-faced lie he repeated about the new Georgia voting law.

The left constantly accused Donald Trump of lying, but he had nothing on Joe Biden, who spent nearly 50 years of constant lying as a politician in Washington, DC. Until now, one of his most blatant lies was that Donald Trump during his Charlottesville speech referred to neo-nazis and white nationalists as “very fine people” even though he never said that. Biden even continued to repeat that lie over and over during the 2020 campaign after he was notified that Trump condemned both hate groups during the same speech. Lying comes very easily to Joe Biden, but he’s just not very good at it.

I give that 3 thumbs down.  lol.
Reply/Quote
The Washington Post wouldn't let me link the original article. After posting that link & reading some of the others I realized it's a highly partisan publication. I agree pretty close to god awful. 1st time I've ever been on that one. That doesn't change the fact that Biden is lying his ass off about the subject at hand and he indeed did get the 4 Pinocchio's.

Newsflash ... Biden & Trump both lie.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 08:28 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: The Washington Post wouldn't let me link the original article. After posting that link & reading some of the others I realized it's a highly partisan publication. 1st time I've ever been on that one. That doesn't change the fact that Biden is lying his ass off about the subject at hand and he indeed did get the 4 Pinocchio's.

"Lying his ass off" is one way of saying he got part of the law right but that there is some leeway in the hours.  But he did indeed to 4 Pinocchio's.

Only a few hundred or so* more to go to have a comparison to Trump to be legit.

*estimated Smirk
Reply/Quote
He just got started. Be patient.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 08:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: "Lying his ass off" is one way of saying he got part of the law right but that there is some leeway in the hours.  But he did indeed to 4 Pinocchio's.

Only a few hundred or so* more to go to have a comparison to Trump to be legit.

*estimated Smirk

it's ok that he lied because so did Trump.  LOL, both sides do it!  Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 08:36 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: He just got started. Be patient.

Hey you posted the link bringing Trump into it.

But at least it gave my onw personal re-poster a chance to lie about what I said...again.  Smirk

And add nothing to the thread...again. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 09:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hey you posted the link bringing Trump into it.

But at least it gave my onw personal re-poster a chance to lie about what I said...again.  Smirk

Shouldn't you be looking for your next passive aggressive dad tier level gif sig?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I mean those are nice words but they still passed and signed it.

Quote:Georgia's Lt Governor admits some provisions of voter suppression bill were 'insensitive and not timely'

Matthew Chapman
April 05, 2021
[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.rawstory.com/georgia-voter-suppression-2651372926/&text=Georgia%27s%20Lt%20Governor%20admits%20some%20provisions%20of%20voter%20suppression%20bill%20were%20%27insensitive%20and%20not%20timely%27&] [/url]   

[Image: image.png?width=1200&height=645]

[/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.rawstory.com/georgia-voter-suppression-2651372926/&text=Georgia%27s%20Lt%20Governor%20admits%20some%20provisions%20of%20voter%20suppression%20bill%20were%20%27insensitive%20and%20not%20timely%27&][/url]
On CNN Monday, Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, a conservative Republican, admitted that some parts of the controversial GOP election bill that has been cast as a [url=https://www.rawstory.com/georgia-voter-suppression-2651236602/]new Jim Crow law
 were a bad idea.

"One thing that Stacey Abrams raised was the issue of the legislature," said anchor Erin Burnett. "I want to ask you, because the law removes the Secretary of State as chairman of the Board of Elections. We all remember Brad Raffensperger ... [he] refused to overturn the state's election results. But in the legislature, which is now going to get that authority, at least six state legislators called for a special session to overturn the results of the 2020 election. And they, in this law, have the power to appoint the majority of the election board. So are you worried about this? That the law gives the legislature too much power?"

"Yeah," said Duncan. "I had spoken as loud as I possibly could against trying to go to a special session. I think I did it with you several times. I am also not supportive of taking punitive steps against Brad Raffensberger, who did nothing wrong except for becoming the president's scapegoat — the former president's scapegoat — in this situation. I thought that was a punitive move that didn't necessarily make any difference. But look, there is a number of things in this bill that I think are commonsense measures, and some that I didn't necessarily think was the right time to do it."

"This is a timing issue, too," said Duncan. "Look, there's other states that have more cumbersome election laws than we do, but it's just the timing of this. It would be like a professional sports team being on a long losing streak, and the next day raising their ticket prices. It just doesn't sound and feel like the right timing on some of these things."

"Which is the thing that you found most problematic in the bill, Lieutenant Governor?" asked Burnett.

"For me, it was the steps around Brad Raffensperger and ... getting him off the elections board," said Duncan. "And secondly, there's two sides to the food and water in line and the technicalities of it, I just thought the timing was insensitive and not timely."

Watch below:

Reply/Quote

"I would say using a voting system to switch votes and to add fraudulent votes to one candidate over another is actual voter suppression" 

FACT CHECKER?!?!?!?

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know the commission Gino gets for every twitter feed and article shares?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 04:46 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Does anyone know the commission Gino gets for every twitter feed and article shares?

Sweet deal with Soros I tells ya.   Ninja

All seriousness aside I do perhaps read too much and then share the information here a lot.  Maybe I should just start saying what my opinion is, not back it up at all and then get mad when someone disagrees?  Seems to be the preferred method around here by some. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 11:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  "I would say using a voting system to switch votes and to add fraudulent votes to one candidate over another is actual voter suppression" 

FACT CHECKER?!?!?!?

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Just to be clear, the claim that Biden lied is correct.  The "fact checker" cited in this article, Glenn Kessler, got it correct.

But the guy who cited Kessler and wrote this article, Rick Welsh, is a partisan hack.

Just some interesting proof about where people here get their info.  The right-wing echo chamber often cites legit sources  when they craft their propaganda.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 09:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just to be clear, the claim that Biden lied is correct.  The "fact checker" cited in this article, Glenn Kessler, got it correct.

But the guy who cited Kessler and wrote this article, Rick Welsh, is a partisan hack.

Just some interesting proof about where people here get their info.  The right-wing echo chamber often cites legit sources  when they craft their propaganda.

Add to that the a lot of the same people who claim "I never watch FOX" still get FOX info via the other right wing sites and sources and they also think everyone else is getting fed propaganda from WH through the "mainstream media."
Reply/Quote
I have not really followed this. What part of this law controversial?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 01:35 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I have not really followed this.  What part of this law controversial?

Some people think voting is a right and the government attempting to restrict rights is a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
I've only gone by what I've heard so please feel free to correct me . . .

Shortened the hours to vote on voting day, which would affect districts with long lines to vote.
Cut down on drop boxes in black districts.
Shortened the amount of days to absentee vote.
Made it a crime to supply food or water to people in line, which usually only happens to black districts since they have less voting places per capita than the rural white districts that have little to no line.
Took away powers from the State Secretary and the District Leaders to oversee verification or re-counts to a "selected committee" which would be mostly white people.
Made it a requirement to show ID . . . this is the one that Republicans somehow think that people are up in arms about for some stupid reason.

Hilarious that Kemp claims that corporations are bowing to pressure . . . why did he enact this law? From pressure from an illiterate dunce that can't take a loss. Almost as ironic as Mitch McConnell telling corporations to stay out of politics.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote