Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevin Coyle will not be returning as DB Coach
(01-09-2018, 11:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I was happy when I read this. I've never really liked Coyle's philosophy/scheme when it came to DBs. Specifically, I think turnovers need to be a higher priority for the DBs.

(01-09-2018, 11:28 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Austin seems to be a DB coaching guru. Him getting his pick of DB coach seems like a good call to me.

Same here, Austin should be able to pick his own guy. I liked Coyle in the past but i think this is the right move.

Need more turnovers, less soft zone.
Reply/Quote
Artrell Hawkins would be a great target.

former Bearcat.

Could be a great get.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:29 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Artrell  Hawkins would be a great target.

former Bearcat.

Could be a great get.

He wasn't that good of a player.  Therefore, he could never be a good coach, right?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:52 PM)McC Wrote: He wasn't that good of a player.  Therefore, he could never be a good coach, right?

He was a very good player, actually;

We had a ton of good guys on D in those days, but the only ones that are remembered are Simmons, Spikes and JSmith.

Hawkins, Tony Williams, Oliver Gibson, Steve Foley, Daryl Williams, all excellent players that played on awful units.

If Hawkins was truly that bad, he wouldn't have started for 3 more seasons outside of Cincinnati and in NE of all places (mind you, he was a better S than CB).

Underappreciated.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was a very good player, actually;

We had a ton of good guys on D in those days, but the only ones that are remembered are Simmons, Spikes and JSmith.

Hawkins, Tony Williams, Oliver Gibson, Steve Foley, Daryl Williams, all excellent players that played on awful units.

If Hawkins was truly that bad, he wouldn't have started for 3 more seasons outside of Cincinnati and in NE of all places (mind you, he was a better S than CB).

Underappreciated.

Fake news. He started in 4 games for the panthers in 2004

Started 4 games for the pats in 2005

Started 12 games in 06 and was released.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:34 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Fake news.  He started in 4 games for the panthers in 2004

No offense, but when someone starts a sentence with "fake news", it's hard to take them seriously. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:34 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Fake news. He started in 4 games for the panthers in 2004

Yeah, he started for three years.

Awful, awful trolling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 11:22 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, he started for three years.

Awful, awful trolling.

Haha. He started for tiny portions of 3 years. Fixed it for you
Reply/Quote
Me personally, I prefer red zone defense over turnovers. Turnovers aren't always guaranteed. A strong red zone defense keeps opponents kicking field goals. Can't remember the year, but I think Zimmer had a Defense ranked 3rd in PPG. I remember many times, opponents getting to the goal line, and I would be thinking, "Eh, they'll get a FG" and usually did.
Reply/Quote
Marvin got to pick his guys this year their wont be one coach on the team that he does not want or a coach he hired this year has not picked. So sink or swim it will be on the head coach as it should be. It is his job on the line if he fails so the choices should be his. Weather it works out or not it makes the Bengals future look much better since we no longer have coaches that's been here 20 plus years dragging this team down. If it does not work out then we can move on to an offensive minded coach in the future. But I think Marvin is going to turn things around in a big way he has things to prove he is motivated again. As long as the OC, DC and Oline coach work out we could be back in the playoffs next year.
Reply/Quote
Coyle is a great coach. Very technical sound and doesn’t mind chewing his guys tails off.
Reply/Quote
Rumor is that Robert Livingston will get promoted to DB coach. He's been the assistant DB coach for a few seasons. He used to be one of our scouts. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 01:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: People want that 05 defense because of it's turnovers...... Then you want Coyle as DB coach and just don't know it. Or have forgotten.

'05 defense led the league in ints.

During his first stint as DB coach with the Bengals ('03-'11) Bengals were fifth in the league in interceptions.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He was a very good player, actually;

Underappreciated.

Using your fanboy logic, John Ross was a starter for the 2017 bengals. After all, He started a game. Lol. Great pick, he’s a starter!

Same with Nickerson and Glasgow
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 12:17 AM)jorev5 Wrote: Me personally, I prefer red zone defense over turnovers. Turnovers aren't always guaranteed.  A strong red zone defense keeps opponents kicking field goals.  Can't remember the year, but I think Zimmer had a Defense ranked 3rd in PPG.  I remember many times, opponents getting to the goal line, and I would be thinking, "Eh, they'll get a FG" and usually did.

Well, at one point late in the year we were the #1 ranked red zone Defense in the league last season.

How did that work out? I agree that red zone Defense is extremely important but so is getting stops on 3rd down and causing turnovers.

(01-10-2018, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: '05 defense led the league in ints.

During his first stint as DB coach with the Bengals ('03-'11) Bengals were fifth in the league in interceptions.

Good stuff Fred, with Austin and Livingston we have two guys that thrive with their players causing turnovers.

I like it and i liked Coyle at one time i just think it was time to move on.

As BengalsBong said, Marv now has his own coaches and we can judge him fairly.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: '05 defense led the league in ints.

Not disputing you here, but why do you think this hasn't really translated in his second stint here?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 01:03 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Marvin got to pick his guys this year their wont be one coach on the team that he does not want or a coach he hired this year has not picked. So sink or swim it will be on the head coach as it should be. It is his job on the line if he fails so the choices should be his. Weather it works out or not it makes the Bengals future look much better since we no longer have coaches that's been here 20 plus years dragging this team down. If it does not work out then we can move on to an offensive minded coach in the future. But I think Marvin is going to turn things around in a big way he has things to prove he is motivated again. As long as the OC, DC and Oline coach work out we could be back in the playoffs next year.

So right on spot. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 07:29 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Artrell  Hawkins would be a great target.

former Bearcat.

Could be a great get.

Ahem:
(01-10-2018, 11:30 AM)ElderStatesman Wrote: It is truly hilarious that our ‘fans’ rip the organization for being too loyal stuck in their ways, stubborn and say they ‘need to do things diffeent’

Then just cream themselves at the thought of brining is a former [cb], who was below average by all standards, as the [c.b] coach to magically coach  up another below avg [c.b.] In [kirkpatrick]

You guys will just believe anything to purport the bengals as competent. 

You’re the problem.  You love mediocrity.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 02:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Ahem:

Hahahah. You couldn’t pick up on the obvious sarcasm. You’re not a thinker are you?

Artrell Hawkins as DB coach would be a hilariously miserable decision.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 03:00 PM)ElderStatesman Wrote: Hahahah.  You couldn’t pick up on the obvious sarcasm.   You’re not a thinker are you?

Artrell Hawkins as DB coach would be a hilariously miserable decision.

Hard to pick up on your sarcasm, when all your post have you coming across as a d-bag...
Reply/Quote