Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kevin Zeitler and Andrew Norwell

Kevin Zeitler has 1yr/$12m left on his contract if you trade for him, heading into his age 31 season.
Andrew Norwell has 2yr/$25m left on his contract if you trade for him, heading into his age 30 season.

If nobody is biting, you might be able to lowball a late pick at them since it'd be better than nothing when they release them. I would be quite happy with Thuney and Norwell/Zeitler as the guards with XSF as the #3 and Jordan the #4 on the depth chart.

Throw Linsley or a 2nd rounder in at C and the interior of the OL could be a real strength.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 08:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Kevin Zeitler has 1yr/$12m left on his contract if you trade for him, heading into his age 31 season.
Andrew Norwell has 2yr/$25m left on his contract if you trade for him, heading into his age 30 season.

If nobody is biting, you might be able to lowball a late pick at them since it'd be better than nothing when they release them. I would be quite happy with Thuney and Norwell/Zeitler as the guards with XSF as the #3 and Jordan the #4 on the depth chart.

Throw Linsley or a 2nd rounder in at C and the interior of the OL could be a real strength.

I'm not giving up anything to take on those salaries when odds are both will be cut, at least Zeitler sounds like it's a done deal. The amount of guys getting cut is going to drive down what anyone can get in FA so there isn't a reason to give draft picks for expensive older vets.
Reply/Quote

There's also no way the Bengals are going to put so much of their resources at guard. Signing Thuney, trading for Norwell/Zeitler with XSF as #3 and Jordan as #4 would make guard their most highly paid position group, let alone the interior line as a whole if you then signed Linsley as well.

Surely you'd just wait until Norwell and/or Zeitler were released. In the current economic climate you should be able to outbid other suitors and still get them cheaper than that.
Reply/Quote

IOL should be dominant with Thuney and Zeitler/Norwell, but there's no realistic way the Bengals pay $25+ mill APY to the Guard position after devaluing it like they have. We should just hope they are willing to pay one OG $10+ mill. It's gotta be baby steps with this franchise.

I would definitely pursue one of them if they get cut though for a lower cap hit on maybe a 2-year or 3-year deal.
Zeitler obviously has direct connection to the Bengals, and Norwell played at Ohio St, so both could be realistic targets if the Bengals can't land Thuney.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Simple, wait until they are cut and then they are lucky to get 50% of their contract on the open market.

I think the flood gates will open soon with very good players getting cut due to cap issues, if we are patient, we should be able to build a much better roster in 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 11:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Simple, wait until they are cut and then they are lucky to get 50% of their contract on the open market.

I think the flood gates will open soon with very good players getting cut due to cap issues, if we are patient, we should be able to build a much better roster in 2021.

What would you think is fair compensation for both Zeitler and Norwell in terms of APY?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I’m out here in Jacksonville and I promise u they are shopping norwell not due to salary cap issues but simply cuz norwell is bad. I swear he retired when the jags picked him up from Carolina. Norwell is bad bad. He’s on skates. Not sure what happened to him but hard NO and hard PASS on norwel
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What would you think is fair compensation for both Zeitler and Norwell in terms of APY?

I think in this year's situation a two-year 18-20 million deal would be possible with decent upfront gurantees.
Reply/Quote
My gut feeling is they rather sign guys like Gabe Jackson, Norwell/ Zeitler if cut at a discount rate as opposed to giving Thuney or Sheriff big money. Far as center goes Hopkins is only 28 and kinda underrated and has had terrible guard play next to him. Just can’t see them signing Linsley who’s two years older and then paying two centers when Hopkins returns when there already paying two RBs big money and have a ton of holes. My ideal/ semi -realistic off season would be Thuney or Sheriff signed at guard , Lawson and Bates signed long term and Geno cut and replaced by Sheldon Rankins along with some third wave CB signing. Then draft either Sewell, Chase, Pitts or Slater at 5.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 09:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not giving up anything to take on those salaries when odds are both will be cut, at least Zeitler sounds like it's a done deal. The amount of guys getting cut is going to drive down what anyone can get in FA so there isn't a reason to give draft picks for expensive older vets.

(03-05-2021, 11:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Simple, wait until they are cut and then they are lucky to get 50% of their contract on the open market.

I'd offer a 6th for Norwell or a 7th for Zeitler. Simply just so I wouldn't have to compete with other teams in FA.

It is true that they will likely sign for less in FA, but if they are going to take less, I don't know if they are going to go to Cincinnati to do it. A trade takes away the choice, at least.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 09:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not giving up anything to take on those salaries when odds are both will be cut, at least Zeitler sounds like it's a done deal. The amount of guys getting cut is going to drive down what anyone can get in FA so there isn't a reason to give draft picks for expensive older vets.

exactamundo
Reply/Quote

not at those current contracts... 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What would you think is fair compensation for both Zeitler and Norwell in terms of APY?

I would offer 2 year contract for 12 million, but only 6.5 million to 7 million guaranteed.

Pass on Norwell

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd offer a 6th for Norwell or a 7th for Zeitler. Simply just so I wouldn't have to compete with other teams in FA.

It is true that they will likely sign for less in FA, but if they are going to take less, I don't know if they are going to go to Cincinnati to do it. A trade takes away the choice, at least.

1. Zeitler is not close to being worth 12 million in 2021. 2nd, crazy to take on his contract and give them draft pick in my humble opinion.

Competition for FA's in 2021 is far less than in the past, teams have to find ways to spend money wisely and no team is giving either of these 2 twelve million a year as they age and their play declines.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would offer 2 year contract for 12 million, but only 6.5 million to 7 million guaranteed.

Pass on Norwell

I'd probably go closer to $8 mill APY, as I still think it's going to take a bit more to try to pull them to a rebuilding team vs a contender. A contender might be able to get them for $6 mill APY.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If they trade a 6th or 7th for Zeitler they can extend him for a year and restructure his contract to a 8 or 9m APY.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: If they trade a 6th or 7th for Zeitler they can extend him for a year and restructure his contract to a 8 or 9m APY.

...or they could just sign him for that. If you trade for him and he doesn't want to actually be here he isn't restructuring anything to help you.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 03:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...or they could just sign him for that. If you trade for him and he doesn't want to actually be here he isn't restructuring anything to help you.

You would have to set it up before the trade sure but he could be easily extended for 2 years and significantly lower his 2021 cap hit and receive a bonus. The Bengals would sacrifice a late round pick for a starting veteran right guard which they need under contract for 3ish (easily cut after 2).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 02:52 PM)Synric Wrote: If they trade a 6th or 7th for Zeitler they can extend him for a year and restructure his contract to a 8 or 9m APY.

big ifs...  he left to chase the money doubt he is looking to do us any favors.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 03:11 PM)Synric Wrote: You would have to set it up before the trade sure but he could be easily extended for 2 years and significantly lower his 2021 cap hit and receive a bonus. The Bengals would sacrifice a late round pick for a starting veteran right guard which they need under contract for 3ish (easily cut after 2).

Right, but why? That's my point. No one is trading for him at 12 Million, especially this coming year. He is going to be in FA and if he wants to play here we will have as good of a shot as any at signing him. If he doesn't want to be here then the trade and restructure thing doesn't work so you are essentially in the same situation as waiting it out until FA. 

The other piece here is teams are going to be cutting vets through next week so I am slowly playing any moves right now until I get a better feel for what options are available.
Reply/Quote