Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kroft vs Eifert (Blockers)
I know this is the forums and there will be plenty of foolishness weigh in with this thread, but I am one of those fans that watches where the ball goes.

For any of you that dissect things and watch things away from the ball, either via live and/or replays, does anyone have an opinion on whether this team gains a little better blocker with Kroft?

(I would be honored if the Forum HC would weigh right away, and we could make this a short and sweet thread)
Reply/Quote
Kroft > Glass Joe Eifert

In all seriousness I like what I see in route running and catching from Kroft, I think his blocking isn't any worse.......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 08:09 PM)corpjet Wrote: Kroft > Glass Joe Eifert

In all seriousness I like what I see in route running and catching from Kroft, I think his blocking isn't any worse.......

I guess my thinking is, whatever 'apples to apples' the team loses in the freakish physical ability Eifert had, it gains with hopefully more durability and better blocking??
Reply/Quote
My issue with Eifert is the issue I had with Smith when he was here at RT.

He's a good player and it's noticeable when he's in the game. But at the end of the day, you've got to decide how much you want to pay for a part-time guy. This is a chance for us to see if Kroft can step into the role and be a full-time guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 08:33 PM)Benton Wrote: My issue with Eifert is the issue I had with Smith when he was here at RT.

He's a good player and it's noticeable when he's in the game. But at the end of the day, you've got to decide how much you want to pay for a part-time guy. This is a chance for us to see if Kroft can step into the role and be a full-time guy.

That's right across the board.  Prescott's play made it easy for Jones to decide on him in favor of Romo, because of Romo's fragility.  ANY great player isn't great if they can't stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 07:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know this is the forums and there will be plenty of foolishness weigh in with this thread, but I am one of those fans that watches where the ball goes.

For any of you that dissect things and watch things away from the ball, either via live and/or replays, does anyone have an opinion on whether this team gains a little better blocker with Kroft?

(I would be honored if the Forum HC would weigh right away, and we could make this a short and sweet thread)

My take is Kroft is a good, but not elite blocking TE.
Eifert is a below average blocking TE.

So advantage kroft in blocking, advantage (big) Kroft in durability and advantage Eifert (big advantage) in receiving and route tree he can run.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2017, 12:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My take is Kroft is a good, but not elite blocking TE.

So advantage kroft in blocking, advantage (big) Kroft in durability and advantage Eifert (big advantage) in receiving and route tree he can run.

Eifert block???? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Kroft is ready to play on game day and Eifert is not.

Therefore Kroft is better at everything.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2017, 12:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My take is Kroft is a good, but not elite blocking TE.

I agree with Eifert being the better route runner and maybe receiving in terms of being more like a receiver, but I want our tight end to be a big, physical presence in the middle of the field, up the seam, and near the goalline, which Kroft seems like he's the more physical type for that.  Even like this touchdown against the Browns, was big because it's Kroft making a physical, contested catch over two defenders.

You ever remember seeing Eifert making a catch like that?  If he did, how many games did he miss because of injury following it?  

I like Kroft's receiving ability more than Eifert's and I think he's a better fit for playing the defenses in the division.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 03:50 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree with Eifert being the better route runner and maybe receiving in terms of being more like a receiver, but I want our tight end to be a big, physical presence in the middle of the field, up the seam, and near the goalline, which Kroft seems like he's the more physical type for that.  Even like this touchdown against the Browns, was big because it's Kroft making a physical, contested catch over two defenders.

You ever remember seeing Eifert making a catch like that?  If he did, how many games did he miss because of injury following it?  

I like Kroft's receiving ability more than Eifert's and I think he's a better fit for playing the defenses in the division.

Multiple, multiple times in '15.

And he played the next week, each time.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 08:09 PM)corpjet Wrote: Kroft > Glass Joe Eifert

It's not just "not any worse", it's noticably better, in my opinion.  Blocking didn't seem to be one of Eifert's strengths.

I'd still rather have a healthy Eifert out there than Kroft, but a healthy Eifert seems like a huge fantasy anymore.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Eifert's blocking is WAY below average - almost non-existent.

But there is no comparison with receiving/ route running.   When Eifert's not hurt he's an elite receiving TE.

I think part of the problem is that the Bengals have limited what they do with Eifert, allowing guys like Mitchell to set Eifert up for dirty hits that don't get called.
Reply/Quote
If we had a great backup RT I'd say Jake Fisher could be your best blocking TE. We've used him that way before. I haven't noticed how Kroft has done though that might be a good sign.

Reply/Quote
Kroft has made me more than willing to move on from the Eifert problem. People forget that this guy was a 3rd round pick and a very good prospect. He's had little opportunity behind Eifert in 2015 and he was playing through a knee injury last year.

All in all, Kroft has filled in for Eifert 6 times while healthy. In those 6 games, Kroft has caught 22 passes for 242 yards and 3 scores. Over a full season, that'd translate to 59 catches, 645 yards and 8 scores on only 75 targets. I'll take that production. Kroft might not be the threat down the seam that Eifert is, but he's proven capable and shows promise in the RZ.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 02:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kroft has made me more than willing to move on from the Eifert problem. People forget that this guy was a 3rd round pick and a very good prospect. He's had little opportunity behind Eifert in 2015 and he was playing through a knee injury last year.

All in all, Kroft has filled in for Eifert 6 times while healthy. In those 6 games, Kroft has caught 22 passes for 242 yards and 3 scores. Over a full season, that'd translate to 59 catches, 645 yards and 8 scores on only 75 targets. I'll take that production. Kroft might not be the threat down the seam that Eifert is, but he's proven capable and shows promise in the RZ.

One thing we have to keep in mind, is Eiferts don't come along every day.  I can remember watching a practice video when TJ Housh was there and how he was talking to one of the coaches about how Eifert was faster than any TE he's seen and has the hands of a WR.  I think if Kroft can stay healthy, he will be an excellent TE.                                                                                                                                     
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 07:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One thing we have to keep in mind, is Eiferts don't come along every day.  I can remember watching a practice video when TJ Housh was there and how he was talking to one of the coaches about how Eifert was faster than any TE he's seen and has the hands of a WR.  I think if Kroft can stay healthy, he will be an excellent TE.                                                                                                                                     

I realize that. Eifert could've been a top 2-3 TE. He had 18 TD's in 21 games between 2015 and 2016.

The poor guy just can't stay on the field though. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 01:53 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Kroft is ready to play on game day and Eifert is not.

Therefore Kroft is better at everything.

I agree and I wonder if Kroft will eventually be a great route runner too after being on the field for almost the entire 2017 season?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 09:13 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Multiple, multiple times in '15.

What about the year after that? And this year? Eifert is an elite talent, with abysmal availability.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 07:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One thing we have to keep in mind, is Eiferts don't come along every day.  I can remember watching a practice video when TJ Housh was there and how he was talking to one of the coaches about how Eifert was faster than any TE he's seen and has the hands of a WR.  I think if Kroft can stay healthy, he will be an excellent TE.                                                                                                                                     

C'mon man, this is the same team that drafted two other prolific receiving TEs, during their college careers.  Chase Coffman and Jermain Gresham.  Sure, Coffman was a bit of a bust, between the injuries and misuse, but Gresham they totally seemed to ignore his pass receiving ability and just tried to use like an extra tackle most of the time.

(10-18-2017, 07:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I realize that. Eifert could've been a top 2-3 TE. He had 18 TD's in 21 games between 2015 and 2016.

The poor guy just can't stay on the field though. 

And that was with the Bengals.  Just think what kind of numbers he might have had with an offense run by Brady, Brees, or any of the others that maximize their weapons?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 09:13 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Multiple, multiple times in '15.

Have any YouTube videos of it or ESPN highlights?  I don't remember it ever happening.
Reply/Quote