Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kurt Warner on Ryan Finley
(08-18-2019, 10:44 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Just love how he stands in the pocket regardless of pressure.  The only thing I worry about if he has the advantage du to being 24 years old already compared to the other rookies .

If Finley sits for two years behind Dalton, he will be 26.  Old enough to maybe get one massive contract unless he is another Brady and keeps playing in his mid 30's.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna put all my bengal eggs in Finley's basket.  Tiger

Too many disappointments with first rounders for a long time with this team, that I am pleased to see what I see regardless of all the tangibles and unknowns.  I'm gonna cheer and clap as ecstatic as I can as a fan whenever I see him play. This will be my mission as a fan.  :andy:

Andy needs to have some good healthy competition. Dead Horse Finley is Zac's guy and I think he was worth the pick!   DingDing
Reply/Quote
Remember two weeks ago when a lot of people were ripping the Bengals front office for wasting a 4th round pick on a flop like Finley? That was over reaction.

Now he has played a couple of quarters in preseason against back ups and com pleted a bunch of short passes he is the mdia darling. Unfortunately this is also over reaction.

The truth is probably somewher between those two extremes. Finley probably has the potential to be a very good back up or maybe even a starter, but he has not done anything that would justify giving him a shot to start over Dalton.
Reply/Quote
No not starting yet but took that #2 spot right away from Driskel.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember two weeks ago when a lot of people were ripping the Bengals front office for wasting a 4th round pick on a flop like Finley?  That was over reaction.

Now he has played a couple of quarters in preseason against back ups and com pleted a bunch of short passes he is the mdia darling.  Unfortunately this is also over reaction.

The truth is probably somewher between those two extremes.  Finley probably has the potential to be a very good back up or maybe even a starter, but he has not done anything that would justify giving him a shot to start over Dalton.

I think Dalton's lack of production in the playoffs have skewed the perception of Dalton's ability.  So some fans on the forum are looking for a replacement.  Hence, AJM, Driskel and now Finley.  The preseason game against the Redskins did nothing to dispel this reminder that Dalton's passes have low arc and his inability to find passing lanes.  

The kryptonite for Finley may be the deep passes on go routes.  I don't know if he has the home run arm that Dalton can make to let's say AJ Green or Boyd.  Dalton accuracy on deep passes are not great either.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 09:27 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: [Image: 69206964_10219528012219065_7916860964144...e=5DE37B3D]

Kurt is a brave soul. I hope he managed well through the hate and death comments. Being an analyst and speaking positively about this team is a death sentence.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Compare Finley to some former rookie QBs - say, Jack Thomson or David Klingler. I rest my case...
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember two weeks ago when a lot of people were ripping the Bengals front office for wasting a 4th round pick on a flop like Finley?  That was over reaction.

Now he has played a couple of quarters in preseason against back ups and com pleted a bunch of short passes he is the mdia darling.  Unfortunately this is also over reaction.

The truth is probably somewher between those two extremes.  Finley probably has the potential to be a very good back up or maybe even a starter, but he has not done anything that would justify giving him a shot to start over Dalton.

Right.

I'm impressed with Finley but he's playing against back ups. Sure, you should be able to stand up over those players you're playing against. He's doing that, but these are 2s and 3s. So, we will see. 

Of course, like AJM and Driskel, it's another player people want over Dalton. It's all good until they start and nothing changes.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Finley was impressive for sure. Hopefully his competitiveness and natural talent bring out the best in Dalton. As some have said on here, his pocket instincts are pretty impressive to say the least. Plus, he has a way to keep the play going while moving around giving receivers extra time to get open when there is nothing there. He seemed pretty patient too. I mentioned earlier that he was throwing behind the receivers a little, but I think the more I watch his highlights, the less I am bothered by it. Kid is impressive.

I'm not on the Finley bandwagon to replace Dalton because Dalton is better than an average QB. Plus, he's still the better QB for the job.

Reply/Quote

Snap judgments.  That's what the world is today.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 12:49 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Not gonna lie, watching it live I saw glimpses of Brady.

Just having some fun with this...but both are Irish, about the same build, drafted later and have similar scouting reports…
After watching AD for so long....Im ready to be very open to a 4th rounder we scored on taking over the team if he continues this type of play. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Just having some fun with this...but both are Irish, about the same build, drafted later and have similar scouting reports…
After watching AD for so long....Im ready to be very open to a 4th rounder we scored on taking over the team if he continues this type of play. 

Rooting for Finley to be the next Tom Brady, that is for damn sure....
Reply/Quote

Let's say Carson doesn't turn punk and stays in Cincy. Would Andy have done anything to justify giving him a shot to start? You mention over-reaction. Maybe some are over-reacting to Andy's secure starting job. 2015 was 4 years ago and it was only 1 of a nine year career.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Speaking of back up QB's, anyone watching the Saints ad Chargers? Many in this forum wanted Bridgewater a former #1 round pick. Rough start, 2-4 for yards and a lost fumble. He has thrown 5 yards high twice.
Update Stats

Teddy Bridgewater
5/12
0-0
16.0 (QBR)

Also a fumble

Yikes
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Wonder what happened between OTA's and minicamps, when he was reportedly a bum, and the preseason, when he has played well.

I believe anybody on this team who outplays the incumbent will get the job. I just want a good QB and I don't care who it is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:32 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder what happened between OTA's and minicamps, when he was reportedly a bum, and the preseason, when he has played well.

I believe anybody on this team who outplays the incumbent will get the job.  I just want a good QB and I don't care who it is.

Van Pelt must be helping Finley out. Nice to see.

Was disappointed he was playing poorly in OTA's, love to see the growth.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 02:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I truly believe we haven't seen Dalton's best, yet. Perhaps I'm wrong ?

Dalton has more than serviceable as a 2nd round pick and picked up when Carson left.......at this stage in his career we know what Andy Dalton can do, look at the back of his football card

Andy is a great character guy but has never won the big game (including playoffs).    Yes some of that is on marvin, some Andy was hurt but I think we have had more than enough time for him to win us some games......

new coach, new era and a new QB (maybe this year, def next year)
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Speaking of back up QB's, anyone watching the Saints ad Chargers? Many in this forum wanted Bridgewater a former #1 round pick. Rough start, 2-4 for yards and a lost fumble. He has thrown 5 yards high twice.

By Bengals MB logic, Bridgewater is doing it against the 1st string D, so his performance is better than Finley's 8 for 8 96 yard TD drive.    Sarcasm

BTW, even against the Redskins 2s, anyone think AD is going 8 for 8, 96 with a TD with THAT WR cast is dilusional.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 11:16 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I thought about this as well but, after re-watching the first 2 games, Finley throws on timing and (seemingly) a super strong understanding of the play and reading the defense. This style may not necessarily require a cannon and more or less just a lot of practice with the WRs.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana didn't have cannon arms. Manning certainly didn't his last Superbowl run. I'm not saying a huge arm is a bad thing, I just think that with the right playbook and OC, that can win it all with regularity. Like in almost any sport: Timing + Accuracy > Power

Less cannon = more accuracy usually. That's something we need. Driskell has the arm but very inaccurate. Andy is better balanced with accuracy and cannon overall but inaccurate like Driskell when he feels the pressure.  Andy has the ability to come from behind, though but very underachieving in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
There is no reason to rush Finley into the starting lineup he still has alot to learn. A full year in an NFL weight training program and mechanics coaching will help him tremendously to go along with learning behind Andy Dalton.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote