Poll: What should be done about the LG position?
Carman
Volson
Wait and see who is Cut before season
Spain
Daryl Williams G/T
Sign Tretter, move Karras
Bates sign and trade
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LG Solutions
I don’t see Carman as being the answer to the LG problem.If Tretter were healthy,then that would be the best case scenario In bringing him in and moving Karras to LG where he plays best anyways.I’ve been hearing different reports this offseason about Tretters health issues.When healthy he’s a very good Center IMO.

I think they might,(should),sign a veteran eventually.I like Volson,and think he’ll eventually become a starter.He has a good work ethic.Who knows,he might be starter material by the start of the season.Carman left the door wide open for Volson to step in after his performance in that pre-season opener.
Reply/Quote
I think it's going to be Volson as starter sooner than later. Just wish they had a talented player in front of him to give him an extra year to develop.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 03:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was one (I forget the game time, but I can look for it) where he completely whiffed, or missed the assignment and the defender went right by him.  Just really inexcusable at this point.  I will look for the finishing blocks, as all I kept saying to myself watching him was "bored, uninterested, and flat".   

I think you're just expecting more, and that's understandable considering his draft spot. 

He had minimal snaps @LG last year but played better there than the right side. Like i said in my previous post, i think after a couple hundred snaps that stuff will start to get ironed out. And he will be playing between Jonah and Karras. That should help. 

I'm not ready to call him a bust yet or say he played soft or uninterested. I didn't see that at all. I just saw some bad tech on most of his pass sets. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 03:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I just looked it up on PFF.  Carman had a 19.3 in 21 pass blocking snaps....against backups.  For comparison (I know he played against even further down the depth chart guys) Volson had a 67.0 in the same number of 21 pass blocking snaps.

Volson had a 73.6 in 13 run blocking snaps.  Carman had a 67.3 in 12 run-blocking snaps.  

The only person with a worse score than Carman in any measure was Adeniji's pathetic 14.1 in 33 pass blocking snaps at RT.  

Again, not hating on Carman, but he has received the most snaps in camp with the first team offense and has had the most snaps in general.  He's healthy, and he was flaming poo.  He needs to show something next week or it is time to give up on hope as a strategy because the guy simply doesn't deserve the starting LG job at this point.  

Too early to give up on him as a LG yet. 

If he's healthy, he needs snaps to settle in. This was preseason game #1.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 03:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I just looked it up on PFF.  Carman had a 19.3 in 21 pass blocking snaps....against backups.  For comparison (I know he played against even further down the depth chart guys) Volson had a 67.0 in the same number of 21 pass blocking snaps.

Volson had a 73.6 in 13 run blocking snaps.  Carman had a 67.3 in 12 run-blocking snaps.  

The only person with a worse score than Carman in any measure was Adeniji's pathetic 14.1 in 33 pass blocking snaps at RT.  

Again, not hating on Carman, but he has received the most snaps in camp with the first team offense and has had the most snaps in general.  He's healthy, and he was flaming poo.  He needs to show something next week or it is time to give up on hope as a strategy because the guy simply doesn't deserve the starting LG job at this point.  

Honestly, how can Carman and Adeneji be this bad against 3rd stringers.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 07:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Too early to give up on him as a LG yet. 

That's what I keep telling myself. I'm not in a Panic yet but if he stinks it up next time he plays I'm gonna start to panic.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to add the twitter post from Antony Treash (maybe someone else can add it), but he shows some very good plays from Cordell Volson from last Friday's preseason game and made the comment: "Bengals rookie Cordell Volson should be the leader for the starting LG spot. Sound performance last night. Showed his advanced processing and violence — best CIN OL of the game by far."

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/14/bengals-rookie-cordell-volson-made-case-1st-team-reps-jackson-carman/
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 08:35 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm not going to add the twitter post from Antony Treash (maybe someone else can add it), but he shows some very good plays from Cordell Volson from last Friday's preseason game and made the comment: "Bengals rookie Cordell Volson should be the leader for the starting LG spot. Sound performance last night. Showed his advanced processing and violence — best CIN OL of the game by far."

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/14/bengals-rookie-cordell-volson-made-case-1st-team-reps-jackson-carman/

This is why I’m not all that worked up about Carmen. Volson looks like he has the tools, now he needs experience and the coaching, ie time.

Carmen’s pass blocking was compelling to see it done so poorly. It can’t get any worse and next game has to be a lot better.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 09:22 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This is why I’m not all that worked up about Carmen. Volson looks like he has the tools, now he needs experience and the coaching, ie time.

Carmen’s pass blocking was compelling to see it done so poorly. It can’t get any worse and next game has to be a lot better.

Carmen will spend his time in cincy as a bust, before going to Seattle to revitalize his career as a slightly below average guard.

That’s how I sense it
Reply/Quote
I don't understand what part of Tretter's knees are completely shot you guys have trouble understanding...
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 10:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't understand what part of Tretter's knees are completely shot you guys have trouble understanding...

It seems a few out in the NFL  world think there might be another reason
https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/14/joel-bitonio-wonders-whether-jc-tretter-is-being-blackballed-for-his-stance-on-player-safety/amp/
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 10:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It seems a few out in the NFL  world think there might be another reason
https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/14/joel-bitonio-wonders-whether-jc-tretter-is-being-blackballed-for-his-stance-on-player-safety/amp/

Very interesting
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 09:22 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This is why I’m not all that worked up about Carmen. Volson looks like he has the tools, now he needs experience and the coaching, ie time.

Oh...it can get worse. He was going against 3rd stringers.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 10:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't understand what part of Tretter's knees are completely shot you guys have trouble understanding...

Didn't the Browns C go down for the season. Seems like they'll sign him???
Reply/Quote

It was preseason game #1 for Volson, too, and he had never played at this level.

I am not giving up on him, but better show improvement in week 2 of the preseason.  
Reply/Quote
Volson is our best option right now, many pundits didnt like the Carmen pick when we took and its proving to be true. Yes he was overweight, yes he had back issues last year but it doesn't appear to be clicking upstairs with him. Not to mention the "off field issues" that were swept under the rug by the dirtbag Dabo and the Clemson football staff.

Burrow is too valuable to have a sieve at the LG position, our options as of today are, play Volson, resign Spain and/or scan the cuts for a proven G. I dont think Carmen is ready.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Carman and Volson should be in more of a competition over the next two preseason games, but neither one screams average NFL starter or better yet.
So if neither is up to that caliber, the Bengals should try to find a stopgap LG that could remain in FA while these young guys continue another year of development.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I suppose my real answer is I have no clue as I'm just a fan. My wish is that Volson emerges as a viable option since he was drafted in the glass-eater mold. If the Bengals like glass eaters on the OL, let's hope the glass eaters perform on the field.
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to pickup another proven OL for a few reasons. One, Carman is not going to cut it. You really want to roll the dice on him as a starter? No way..

And it would be foolish to think the OL will be healthy all year. We will be right back to last year if one or two of them go down and watch the best thing to happen in this franchise get pummeled again?

Protect Burrow…..
Reply/Quote

At this point i dont even want him as a backup

no since in holding on to someone whos not developing
Reply/Quote