Poll: What should be done about the LG position?
Carman
Volson
Wait and see who is Cut before season
Spain
Daryl Williams G/T
Sign Tretter, move Karras
Bates sign and trade
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LG Solutions
(08-15-2022, 11:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll say this....for several years, Alexander was a good coach. Borderline great even....but he got passed by. When Bill Frickin Lazor has to demote you, it's obvious you've rested on your laurels one too many years. I don't understand why 32 teams would ask him his opinion on players these days. I can understand them consulting him for measurables and athleticism....as to whether they translate to NFL caliber starting linemen, I'm not sure I'd seek his input on that.

In fairness, Paul Alexander was extremely respected as a talent evaluator around the league.  Other scouts at Pro Days would literally just sit back and watch PA run prospects through different drills.  He had some big whiffs at the end of his run, but he used to be money with 1st and 2nd round picks.

I tend to think Mikey asked him about Carman first because they were locked in on Chase at 5 and already had Carman high on their board in the 2nd.  It wouldn't really make sense for Mike to ask out of the gate about someone they didn't have high on their board.  I don't buy for a second that Mike overuled Tobin, Zac, and company based on nothing but PA's recommendation.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times do I have to post this article to prove you wrong? The decision wasn't already made. Mike consulted Alexander about it who confirmed it was going to be a "great pick". This was all before the draft. The two bozos loved and wanted Carman. 

Cincinnati Bengals Get Mike Brown’s Guy: An Inside Look at Their Pursuit of Jackson Carman - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

“I talked to Mike about it, I go right to the top,” Alexander joked. “When I talked to Mike I said ‘hey Mike, here are the 25 guys that I worked with for the draft. Who do you want to talk about?’ The first thing he said was, ‘tell me about Jackson Carman.’ I was kind of like 'wow.' I thought first they’d want to know about Penei Sewell and go down the line and all that kind of stuff and he wanted to talk about Jackson and obviously I gave a strong endorsement and I think he’s going to be terrific.”

“Is he a first round pick? No question he is," Alexander said without hesitation. "He is going to start right away and in his career he’s going to at least be an average NFL starter at his position, maybe better, so that’s why I see him more as a first rounder.”

Even if this is a correct translation of what Alexander said, we have nothing from Mike about Carman, obviously the Bengals liked him but remember they traded back which is not something under Mike's tenure Bengals did much, which makes  me feel this decision was a collective  one. Finally the penei comment again reinforced they had decided they were going Chase which then shifts thoughts to Oline in 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 02:13 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Even if this is a correct translation of what Alexander said, we have nothing from Mike about Carman, obviously the Bengals liked him but remember they traded back which is not something under Mike's tenure Bengals did much, which makes  me feel this decision was a collective  one. Finally the penei comment again reinforced they had decided they were going Chase which then shifts thoughts to Oline in 2nd.

Huh? They’ve traded back a ton over the years. They traded back when they took Mixon. They traded back when they took Price. They traded back when they took Bates. They traded back when they took Sample. They traded back when they took Zeitler.

What they don’t typically do - is trade up. Like they just did for CTB.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: FWIW, I voted "Wait and see who gets cut", as with every preseason, there will be players signed to expensive contracts getting cut in favor of younger players on rookie deals.  Those players will want to stay relevant and active in the league, and might even be eager to sign with a Superbowl team.

Can't help but think this is the internal thinking as well.  No way you massively improve C, RG, and RT and roll out the inconsistent Carman or a rookie Volson at LG.  Maybe one of them can develop in to a starting guard in the future, but if a solid vet becomes available...this is the biggest need on the team, much more than WR4.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 02:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really don't think Mike Brown hasn't had a say in who we draft? Jon Ross ring a bell? Now Jackson Carman. 

Alexander endorsed the pick. He has been 100% wrong on his evaluation of Jackson Carman so far. 

Who wanted the pick? Alexander? Pollack? Mike Brown? 

It doesn't matter to me at this point. They were ALL wrong no matter who's choice it was. FO and Paul Alexanders goofy butt need to be held accountable. 

I have said that for MANY years now, the show has been Marvin, Katie, Duke, and Troy.  Mike was still present, and had to "sign off" of the choices, but all the heavy lifting was done by others.  

Now it is Zac, Katie, Duke, and Troy.  Paul Alexander's endorsement of a player might be one little factor in the overall evaluation, but there is no way in hell they took Carman on his suggestion.  They had to already have believed in him and Paul just gave a thumbs up.  

Jon Ross was Tobin's pick.  I was 100% behind it.  He was trying to open up the offense with a big play vertical threat.  Worked with Chase.  Ross was a dud.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Carman is a great pianist?

Ironically, Carman is a very talented musician and I believe he can play just about any instrument.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 02:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really don't think Mike Brown hasn't had a say in who we draft? Jon Ross ring a bell?

Mike Brown did not make us draft Ross.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 02:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? They’ve traded back a ton over the years. They traded back when they took Mixon. They traded back when they took Price. They traded back when they took Bates. They traded back when they took Sample. They traded back when they took Zeitler.

What they don’t typically do - is trade up. Like they just did for CTB.

They have history as being team compared to many others as not a trading team especially 1/2 rounds. Point is why would Mike pass on Carman if his mind was set and he would have rejected trading if we are to  believe he loved Carman that much, it is a speculation still we have no direct account of the war room
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote