Poll: What should be done about the LG position?
Carman
Volson
Wait and see who is Cut before season
Spain
Daryl Williams G/T
Sign Tretter, move Karras
Bates sign and trade
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LG Solutions
(08-15-2022, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Facepalm

For the thousandth time, Tretter has no knees left. He did not practice at all last year, not one time, just to be able to get through the season. He's done, unless you want to roll him out there in a wheelchair.

And yet he still posted a well above average 78.7 PFF grade last year and started 16 games last year. No wheelchair required.

If letting a guy skip practice all season to get a center who scores in the 70s and 80s in PFF is what you have to do, I don't have a problem with it.

With that said, he hasn't signed anywhere else, so he may be thinking retirement at this point.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:32 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And yet he still posted a well above average 78.7 PFF grade last year and started 16 games last year. No wheelchair required.

If letting a guy skip practice all season to get a center who scores in the 70s and 80s in PFF is what you have to do, I don't have a problem with it.

With that said, he hasn't signed anywhere else, so he may be thinking retirement at this point.

It’s not a knee problem with Tretter. His teammate Bitonio says it may be about something else. About his vocal opinions on player safety.

I was watching one of the pff shows this morning and they said the bucs should grab tretter. No mention of the knee problems. There’s something else going on with him
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No there was not.  There was reporting that mike Brown asked Alexander about Carman after the decision was already made.  Alexander specifically said that Mike was mainly interested in Carman more so than any other O-linemen.

How many times do I have to post this article to prove you wrong? The decision wasn't already made. Mike consulted Alexander about it who confirmed it was going to be a "great pick". This was all before the draft. The two bozos loved and wanted Carman. 

Cincinnati Bengals Get Mike Brown’s Guy: An Inside Look at Their Pursuit of Jackson Carman - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

“I talked to Mike about it, I go right to the top,” Alexander joked. “When I talked to Mike I said ‘hey Mike, here are the 25 guys that I worked with for the draft. Who do you want to talk about?’ The first thing he said was, ‘tell me about Jackson Carman.’ I was kind of like 'wow.' I thought first they’d want to know about Penei Sewell and go down the line and all that kind of stuff and he wanted to talk about Jackson and obviously I gave a strong endorsement and I think he’s going to be terrific.”

“Is he a first round pick? No question he is," Alexander said without hesitation. "He is going to start right away and in his career he’s going to at least be an average NFL starter at his position, maybe better, so that’s why I see him more as a first rounder.”

[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times do I have to post this article to prove you wrong? The decision wasn't already made. Mike consulted Alexander about it who confirmed it was going to be a "great pick". This was all before the draft. The two bozos loved and wanted Carman. 

Cincinnati Bengals Get Mike Brown’s Guy: An Inside Look at Their Pursuit of Jackson Carman - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

“I talked to Mike about it, I go right to the top,” Alexander joked. “When I talked to Mike I said ‘hey Mike, here are the 25 guys that I worked with for the draft. Who do you want to talk about?’ The first thing he said was, ‘tell me about Jackson Carman.’ I was kind of like 'wow.' I thought first they’d want to know about Penei Sewell and go down the line and all that kind of stuff and he wanted to talk about Jackson and obviously I gave a strong endorsement and I think he’s going to be terrific.”

“Is he a first round pick? No question he is," Alexander said without hesitation. "He is going to start right away and in his career he’s going to at least be an average NFL starter at his position, maybe better, so that’s why I see him more as a first rounder.”

...and Paul Alexander told all 32 teams about the guys he is working with... Agents fly PA in or Prospects out to work a few days with him so he can give teams evaluations on players. What PA says about Offensive Line prospects carries alot of weight right now. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times do I have to post this article to prove you wrong? The decision wasn't already made. Mike consulted Alexander about it who confirmed it was going to be a "great pick". This was all before the draft. The two bozos loved and wanted Carman. 

You still don't get it.  If Mike Brown called in Paul Alexander because he had decided to scout O-lineman then he would have asked about all of them.

The fact that he only asked about Carman proves that the decision had already been made.

Mike Brown does not scout.  If he did decide to scout then he might call Paul to help get him started.  But that is not what happened here.  Mike already knew that Carman was one of our top targets.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You still don't get it.  If Mike Brown called in Paul Alexander because he had decided to scout O-lineman then he would have asked about all of them.

The fact that he only asked about Carman proves that the decision had already been made.

Mike Brown does not scout.  If he did decide to scout then he might call Paul to help get him started.  But that is not what happened here.  Mike already knew that Carman was one of our top targets.

You really don't think Mike Brown hasn't had a say in who we draft? Jon Ross ring a bell? Now Jackson Carman. 

Alexander endorsed the pick. He has been 100% wrong on his evaluation of Jackson Carman so far. 

Who wanted the pick? Alexander? Pollack? Mike Brown? 

It doesn't matter to me at this point. They were ALL wrong no matter who's choice it was. FO and Paul Alexanders goofy butt need to be held accountable. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 02:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really don't think Mike Brown hasn't had a say in who we draft? Jon Ross ring a bell? Now Jackson Carman. 

Alexander endorsed the pick. He has been 100% wrong on his evaluation of Jackson Carman so far. 

It doesn't matter to me at this point. They were ALL wrong no matter who's choice it was. FO and Paul Alexanders goofy butt need to be held accountable. 

More likely Duke Tobin, Mike Pots, Jim McNally, and Frank Pollack.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack said Trey Hill is in the mix for the LG spot.

Reply/Quote
I like what I have seen from Volson so far. Especially in pass pro, which is JOB ONE for this offensive line. Good on Carman, I guess, if he is an average run blocker, but that don't butter our bread.

Here is the question for Carman, Volson and anyone we bring in. Can he hold Aaron Donald to at least a stalemate? Because that is the standard for a guard on the Cincinnati Bengals. Block Aaron Donald -- hell, just slow him down a little -- and we have the Lombardi Trophy. Which answers the question about whether we should bring back Spain.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:04 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I like what I have seen from Volson so far.  Especially in pass pro, which is JOB ONE for this offensive line.  Good on Carman, I guess, if he is an average run blocker, but that don't butter our bread.  

Here is the question for Carman, Volson and anyone we bring in.  Can he hold Aaron Donald to at least a stalemate?  Because that is the standard for a guard on the Cincinnati Bengals.  Block Aaron Donald -- hell, just slow him down a little -- and we have the Lombardi Trophy.  Which answers the question about whether we should bring back Spain.

only elite guards can slow down Donald. Or great schemes that feature very good interior o-linemen
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 02:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You really don't think Mike Brown hasn't had a say in who we draft? Jon Ross ring a bell? Now Jackson Carman. 

Willie Anderson needs to not be at practice then , he liked him too. In the end the coaching staff is most accountable  now since most college lineman are not day 1 ready, we know first few years is essential to see growth that falls on player and coaches mainly their position coaches
Reply/Quote

Yep....effed over by Ketchup Paul. Again. C'mon Mike, dude hasn't hit on a draft pick since Andrew Whitworth.  Ninja  Quit consulting him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Maybe Carman is a great pianist?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 12:57 PM)Synric Wrote: ...and Paul Alexander told all 32 teams about the guys he is working with... Agents fly PA in or Prospects out to work a few days with him so he can give teams evaluations on players. What PA says about Offensive Line prospects carries alot of weight right now. 

Well he was dead wrong about OUR olinemen last year. Again. Let's see.... Cedric Ogbuehi. Bust. Jake Fisher, not the complete trash that Og was, but bust. Russell Bodine...would not move on from him when it was obvious he was the weak link in that entire offense. Christian Westerman....out of the league. Tanner Hawkinson, Reid Fragel, TJ Johnson...none played more than four years, Fragel only one.  Not exactly a murderers row.

In fact, you have to go all the way back to 2012 and Kevin Zeitler to find a player he had input on in Cincinnati that's worth a shit. 

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe Carman is a great pianist?

Heard he was hell with Heinz bottle.... Cool

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:29 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Well he was dead wrong about OUR olinemen last year. Again. Let's see.... Cedric Ogbuehi. Bust. Jake Fisher, not the complete trash that Og was, but bust. Russell Bodine...would not move on from him when it was obvious he was the weak link in that entire offense. Christian Westerman....out of the league. Tanner Hawkinson, Reid Fragel, TJ Johnson...none played more than four years, Fragel only one.  Not exactly a murderers row.

In fact, you have to go all the way back to 2012 and Kevin Zeitler to find a player he had input on in Cincinnati that's worth a shit. 

The bengals really stuck with Bodine for too long. I have a feeling that’s how Mike likes it. As long as the player isn’t getting other players hurt(Michael Jordan), then Mikey boy is gonna wait and see if you develop.

The problem is this roster is in win now mode. Now is not the time to wait and see. I think volson will be starting over Carman, but I still dont think Volson is gonna be any good. He’s a 4th round rookie
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The bengals really stuck with Bodine for too long. I have a feeling that’s how Mike likes it. As long as the player isn’t getting other players hurt(Michael Jordan), then Mikey boy is gonna wait and see if you develop.

The problem is this roster is in win now mode. Now is not the time to wait and see. I think volson will be starting over Carman, but I still dont think Volson is gonna be any good. He’s a 4th round rookie

You may be right about Mike, but who knows, he was getting advice from Paul. Remember the "Witch Hunt" presser?

Absolutely agree with the last paragraph, though I have hope Volson's ethic and acumen will serve him well down the line.

Reply/Quote
I hope they think of this season as being in a win now mode. And crazy to me to not go all in to protect burrow. With salary cap space left and free agent options still out there, I sure hope we see a move or two for OL depth. Adeniji and price have had their chances - time to move on from them
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 11:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: The bengals really stuck with Bodine for too long. I have a feeling that’s how Mike likes it. As long as the player isn’t getting other players hurt(Michael Jordan), then Mikey boy is gonna wait and see if you develop.

They've changed some to get rid of some guys quicker. But, yeah this Guard situation is puzzling. 

Actually, putting a big jigsaw puzzle box back there might hold up better than Carman.
Reply/Quote
I'll say this....for several years, Alexander was a good coach. Borderline great even....but he got passed by. When Bill Frickin Lazor has to demote you, it's obvious you've rested on your laurels one too many years. I don't understand why 32 teams would ask him his opinion on players these days. I can understand them consulting him for measurables and athleticism....as to whether they translate to NFL caliber starting linemen, I'm not sure I'd seek his input on that.

Reply/Quote