Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LOL.. where PC is taking us.
I think Identity Politics, while having value, are a 'trap' so to speak so that other areas don't become the topic of discussion for politically minded individuals (See: The effects of conglomerated corporate media) . It's pretty obvious when you look at some of the 'establishment' politicians (i.e. a Hillary/Lieberman or Ryan/Mcconnell). It seems that labor has taken a back seat to social issues, which I'm sure is preferable to a lot of specialized interests considering that damn near every industry is an oligopoly at this point.

Anyways, it seems like a 'missing the forest for the trees' type of scenario to me. To see some of the hyper-partisan arguments on here just further confirms to me we don't 'get it' yet. Not that I 'get it' either, I'm just surprised by the lack of legitimate discussion in certain areas.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-09-2017, 10:28 AM)xxlt Wrote: Here's more. It is shocking.

I am so glad this group is being exposed! I had no idea taking down the radical left could be so exhilarating!!!!! Simply put, they are monsters.

You won't believe what the mission is, so I copied it from their website. Check it out!

ruderman foundation Logo
Including Each. Strengthening All.

Mission And Values

*We are pleased for the attention our message received at the 2016 Democratic National Convention. The Foundation does not support or oppose any candidate for public office.

Mission

The Ruderman Family Foundation believes that inclusion and understanding of all people is essential to a fair and flourishing community.

Guided by our Jewish values, we support effective programs, innovative partnerships and a dynamic approach to philanthropy in our core areas of interest: advocating for and advancing the inclusion of people with disabilities throughout our society; strengthening the sense of commitment and responsibility towards the American Jewish community among Israeli leadership; and modeling the practice of strategic philanthropy worldwide.

We aim to operate as a non-partisan strategic catalyst in our areas of focus in cooperation with the government, private sector, civil society, and philanthropies. We are driven by the values of social justice, equality, and tikkun olam.

There is only one word to describe people like this. EVIL!

(07-09-2017, 10:32 AM)xxlt Wrote: More Ruderman propaganda from here: http://www.rudermanfoundation.org/programs/inclusion

Inclusion

As part of our commitment to inclusion and enhancing the lives of adults and children with disabilities, we are actively supporting a range of innovative projects with organizations that focus on integration into society and minimizing feelings of loneliness. These projects cover education, housing, employment, synagogues, community life and much more.

Who in the hell could support such a radical agenda?! How do those Rudermans sleep at night? This is really getting me worked up!

Their mission statement/core values is all good.  Their criticism of Baldwin and this film's producers is absurd.  The road to hell and all.
Heart 
(07-09-2017, 12:32 PM)treee Wrote: I think Identity Politics, while having value, are a 'trap' so to speak so that other areas don't become the topic of discussion for politically minded individuals (See: The effects of conglomerated corporate media) . It's pretty obvious when you look at some of the 'establishment' politicians (i.e. a Hillary/Lieberman or Ryan/Mcconnell). It seems that labor has taken a back seat to social issues, which I'm sure is preferable to a lot of specialized interests considering that damn near every industry is an oligopoly at this point.

Anyways, it seems like a 'missing the forest for the trees' type of scenario to me. To see some of the hyper-partisan arguments on here just further confirms to me we don't 'get it' yet. Not that I 'get it' either, I'm just surprised by the lack of legitimate discussion in certain areas.

:heart: good post.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-09-2017, 01:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Their mission statement/core values is all good.  Their criticism of Baldwin and this film's producers is absurd.  The road to hell and all.

Well, since the Rudermans are officially condemned to hell now I will just point out that all prophets have been condemned. Its the price they pay for speaking unpopular truths. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Dr. King and all.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-09-2017, 02:34 PM)xxlt Wrote: Well, since the Rudermans are officially condemned to hell now I will just point out that all prophets have been condemned. Its the price they pay for speaking unpopular truths. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Dr. King and all.

Haha, you're rapidly approaching the level of self parody.  Have you not considered the real world issues that employing a blind actor would cause?  In addition, Baldwin plays a man who goes blind after an accident, which would lead one to believe that there is likely a prologue in which the character is not blind.  Would that not cause significant issues?  Day to day shooting would be significantly more difficult.  But never mind all of those issues, let's just be upset.
(07-09-2017, 02:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Haha, you're rapidly approaching the level of self parody.  Have you not considered the real world issues that employing a blind actor would cause?  In addition, Baldwin plays a man who goes blind after an accident, which would lead one to believe that there is likely a prologue in which the character is not blind.  Would that not cause significant issues?  Day to day shooting would be significantly more difficult.  But never mind all of those issues, let's just be upset.

[Image: homer-simpson-mind-blown.gif]

And to show my gratitude, I'll make you an incredible limited time offer on this:

[Image: 1519104482_2457d505b4.jpg]

The whole thing's yours for $37,000!
(07-09-2017, 04:29 PM)xxlt Wrote: [Image: homer-simpson-mind-blown.gif]

And to show my gratitude, I'll make you an incredible limited time offer on this:

[Image: 1519104482_2457d505b4.jpg]

The whole thing's yours for $37,000!

Condescension is a stinky cologne. Cool
(07-09-2017, 12:32 PM)treee Wrote: I think Identity Politics, while having value, are a 'trap' so to speak so that other areas don't become the topic of discussion for politically minded individuals (See: The effects of conglomerated corporate media) . It's pretty obvious when you look at some of the 'establishment' politicians (i.e. a Hillary/Lieberman or Ryan/Mcconnell). It seems that labor has taken a back seat to social issues, which I'm sure is preferable to a lot of specialized interests considering that damn near every industry is an oligopoly at this point.

If I understand you, I think I agree.

One reason labor takes a back seat to identity issues is that the number of unionized workers has been greatly reduced over the last 40 years. That is not by accident.

But primarily, the US just doesn't have a developed leftist politics the way some other countries do. As a result, economic/class conflicts are easily transposed onto identity--blacks not getting opportunity, or whites losing opportunity because blacks and women get it, or Evangelicals being looked down on by Hollywood and educated experts. People take sides and create master narratives, and then news tidbits like the above OP are sutured into the narrative as one-more-example of what "they" are doing.

These narratives may not be wholly wrong, but they are usually very incomplete. They take root and guide people's perceptions and arouse motivations. I am not suggesting there is some alternative that doesn't involve master narratives, just that in the US the range of choices is narrower than in other countries.
Why would the blind community care, in the first place? They're not going to see the movie, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-09-2017, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would the blind community care, in the first place? They're not going to see the movie, anyway.

[Image: blind-farmer-at-work-turkeys.gif]

(07-09-2017, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would the blind community care, in the first place? They're not going to see the movie, anyway.

Genuinely curious, was this comment serious or intended to be a joke?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-09-2017, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why would the blind community care, in the first place?  They're not going to see the movie, anyway.

Why do you suppose there is an advocacy group for this particular disability? I doubt money is a motive.

Perhaps there are widespread misperceptions about blind people, and what does or does not benefit them, of which sighted people are unaware.
And so this group thinks hiring blind actors might be a step towards correcting these misperceptions.
I love it when one of my favorite artists has so eloquently addressed an issue nearly a half century ago.

Fred Small – Talking Wheelchair Blues Lyrics
I went for a jog in the city air
I met a woman in a wheelchair
I said "I'm sorry to see you're handicapped."
She says "What makes you think a thing like that?"

And she looks at me real steady
And she says, "You want to drag?"

So she starts to roll and I start to run
And she beat the pants off my aching buns
You know going uphill I'd hit my stride
But coming down she'd sail on by!

When I finally caught up with her
She says "Not bad for somebody able-bodied.
You know, with adequate care and supervision
You could be taught simple tasks.
So how about something to eat?"

I said that'd suit me fine
"We're near a favorite place of mine."
So we mosied on over there
But the only way in was up a flight of stairs.

"Gee, I never noticed that," says I.
"No problem," the maitre d' replies.
"There's a service elevator around the back."

So we made it upstairs on the elevator
With the garbage, flies, and last week's potatoes
I said "I'd like a table for my friend and me."
He says "I'll try to find one out of the way."

Then he whispers, "Uh, is she gonna be sick,
I mean, pee on the floor or throw some kind of fit?"
I said "No, I don't think so,
I think she once had polio.

But that was many years ago.
You see, the fact of the matter is,
If the truth be told,
She can't walk.

So he points to a table, she wheels her chair
Some people look down and others stare
And a mother grabs her little girl
Says "Keep away, honey, that woman's ill."

We felt right welcome.

Then a fella walks up and starts to babble
About the devil and the holy bible
Says "Woman, though marked with flesh's sin,
Pray to Jesus, you'll walk again!"

Then the waiter says "What can I get for you?"
I said "I'll have your best imported brew."
And he says "What about her?"
I say "Who?" He says "Her."

"Oh, you mean my friend here."
He says "Yeah." I say "What about her?"
"Well, what does she want?"
"Well, why don't you ask her?"

Then he apologizes.
Says he never waited on a cripple before.
We immediately nominated him for Secretary of the Interior.

Well, she talked to the manager when we were through

She says "There're some things you could do
To make it easier for folks in wheelchairs."
He says "Oh, it's not necessary.

Handicapped never come here anyway."

Well, I said goodnight to my newfound friend
I said, "I'm beginning to understand
A little bit of how it feels
To roll through life on a set of wheels."

She says "Don't feel sorry, don't feel sad,
I take the good along with the bad
I was arrested once at a protest demo
And the police had to let me go.

See, we were protesting the fact
That public buildings weren't wheelchair accessible.
Turned out the jail was the same way.
Anyway, I look at it this way--
In fifty years you'll be in worse shape than I am now.
See, we're all the same, this human race.
Some of us are called disabled. And the rest--
Well, the rest of you are just temporarily able-bodied
Songwriters: FRED SMALL
Talking Wheelchair Blues lyrics FREDERICK E. SMALL D/B/A PINE BARRENS MUSIC
(07-09-2017, 04:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Condescension is a stinky cologne. Cool
Get a whiff of American law. It stinks too:

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/history/35th/thelaw/ada.html
(07-09-2017, 04:46 PM)Dill Wrote: If I understand you, I think I agree.

One reason labor takes a back seat to identity issues is that the number of unionized workers has been greatly reduced over the last 40 years. That is not by accident.

But primarily, the US just doesn't have a developed leftist politics the way some other countries do.
As a result, economic/class conflicts are easily transposed onto identity--blacks not getting opportunity, or whites losing opportunity because blacks and women get it, or Evangelicals being looked down on by Hollywood and educated experts. People take sides and create master narratives, and then news tidbits like the above OP are sutured into the narrative as one-more-example of what "they" are doing.

These narratives may not be wholly wrong, but they are usually very incomplete. They take root and guide people's perceptions and arouse motivations. I am not suggesting there is some alternative that doesn't involve master narratives, just that in the US the range of choices is narrower than in other countries.

What the hell are you talking about? The radical left has been destroying America since the ancient times. That's why Jesus condemned them then and Sean Hannity and Alex Jones continue our lord's work today. Talk about uninformed. Hilarious
(07-09-2017, 10:17 PM)Dill Wrote: Why do you suppose there is an advocacy group for this particular disability? I doubt money is a motive.

Perhaps there are widespread misperceptions about blind people, and what does or does not benefit them, of which sighted people are unaware.
And so this group thinks hiring blind actors might be a step towards correcting these misperceptions.

Randall says, "More liberal claptrap. Next you'll be quoting Anne Frank from the Miracle Worker."

[Image: 1102174230-PDVD_016.jpg]

And Randall is always right. Especially about Anne Frank!
(07-09-2017, 09:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Genuinely curious, was this comment serious or intended to be a joke?

It was just a joke.  I guess I should have made it more obvious.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-09-2017, 11:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It was just a joke.  I guess I should have made it more obvious.

Check out post 53. I think you'll like it.
This doesn't seem to be an attack on Baldwin as much as it is an attack on the industry. I get it, the portrayals would be more authentic. Obviously we see an issue with someone pulling a Mickey Rooney a la Breakfast at Tiffany's, but as a society, we don't see disability the same way we see skin color. In special education, one of the repeating themes is that disability is one of the final civil rights battles, one we constantly advocate for in the profession.

That said, this is silly. Going back to SSF's post early in this thread, the way the fight has turned for many progressive groups is focused on attack rather than understanding. Don't immediately compare this to black face and attack everyone, encourage casting directors to look at actors with disabilities. I can't name a big name blind actor, can you?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

"Where PC is taking us"?

I dunno, but my PC is an integral part of daily life.

Much better than Apple with that smart-ass liberal "Apple Guy"  ThumbsUp

[Image: microsoft-apple-guy.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]