Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of creativity on.offense.
It's criminal that Uzomah wasn't used more they couldn't cover him and couldn't afford to double him.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:35 AM)Synric Wrote: My biggest issue was the tempo. 

Zac had a bunch of different formations that required personnel changes constantly early in the game. He allowed the defense to stay fresh and didnt try to gas them with a faster tempo. When the tempo did increase later in the game the offense was able to move the ball.

New QB, on a quick learning curve. It will come.... first thing they need to do is fix the protection and give Joe more than a second....
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: New QB, on a quick learning curve. It will come.... first thing they need to do is fix the protection and give Joe more than a second....

Absolutely.

With a horrific offensive line the playbook becomes extremely limited.  Long passes can't even be considered, for example, and runners are going to get stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.  I'm not worried about Joe Burrow's ability to learn and play at an expert level.  I'm concerned about him getting flattened like a pancake.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 10:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: So Im sitting here and just watched the Steelers score on a rub route in the red zone to Schuster. Ben took 2-steps and lofted it. Easy 6.  Why in the hell.cant this offense execute simple rub routes or at least attempt it.
And it's not just rub routes. Im talking direct snaps to a rb. WR passes. How about WRs stacked on one side.?
I didnt even see a fake jet sweep one way and off tackle on the backside.
Did anyone see a draw play?
Im losing faith in ZT and Callahan really fast on developing a cutting edge creative offense

Sometimes you outthink yourself.  I will NEVER understand how many times they tried something other than running with Mixon on first down to help our QB get settled and allow our offensive line to play to their strength.  Let THEM to the hitting.  But no.  Had to be cute, and while the Chargers stayed committed to the run and wore the Bengals down, the Bengals had to let their QB get beat up and the offensive line show their huge weaknesses.  

Zach Taylor is now an achilles heal until he proved otherwise.  
Reply/Quote
I was watching Rams/Cowboys on Sunday night and it was night and day compared to our offense. The tempo, plays, everything just looked more efficient and fast paced.

I feel like im literally watching Carson Palmer out there doing slow play action passes and 5 step drops like its 2005 all over again.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Zach Taylor is now an achilles heel until he proved otherwise.  

Look, I like Zac's personality and all of this accountability talk but come on!  He's 2-15 and this abysmal record is approching the dangerous asymptote of Hue Jackson in Cleveland.  The Bengals have too much talent to be 2-15.

Let's cover the good: Zac's drafting has been excellent in both 2019 and 2020, he convinced Mike Brown to invest in free agency and the defense is so much better for doing so.  Hiring Lou Anarumo is proving to be a very good decision and listening to Joe Burrow describe his likes and dislikes is very commendable.

However, I'm starting to think Zac might be worse than Marvin as an actual gametime coach.  That physically hurts to type; that I can tell you!  It takes a special person to be a coach "in the moment" and while Marvin had that quality for the most part during the regular season, I have to admit Zac may not have this quality at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was watching Rams/Cowboys on Sunday night and it was night and day compared to our offense. The tempo, plays, everything just looked more efficient and fast paced.

I feel like im literally watching Carson Palmer out there doing slow play action passes and 5 step drops like its 2005 all over again.

You also had 2 veteran QB's in that game with great OL's. Burrow is a rookie with a very seemingly average OL. I'm sure there were plays that Burrow could have gotten the Bengals in and out of based on defensive schemes but, again, it's his first game ever at this level.

Remember ZERO mini camps, ZERO OTA's, ZERO preseason. It's the most unprecedented time any QB let alone a rookie QB could ever go thru.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:21 PM)higgy100 Wrote: You also had 2 veteran QB's in that game with great OL's. Burrow is a rookie with a very seemingly average OL. I'm sure there were plays that Burrow could have gotten the Bengals in and out of based on defensive schemes but, again, it's his first game ever at this level.

Remember ZERO mini camps, ZERO OTA's, ZERO preseason. It's the most unprecedented time any QB let alone a rookie QB could ever go thru.

Im talking about overall sceheme and the plays that they were running on offense. Not really the talent on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:27 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im talking about overall sceheme and the plays that they were running on offense. Not really the talent on the field. 

But the talent and experience on the field dictates the scheme and plays. For example, I'd love to see Cinci. utilize the screen pass more but you have to have the OL to get out there and block.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sometimes you outthink yourself.  I will NEVER understand how many times they tried something other than running with Mixon on first down to help our QB get settled and allow our offensive line to play to their strength.  Let THEM to the hitting.  But no.  Had to be cute, and while the Chargers stayed committed to the run and wore the Bengals down, the Bengals had to let their QB get beat up and the offensive line show their huge weaknesses.  

Zach Taylor is now an achilles heal until he proved otherwise.  

Ive run rub route concepts at 2 levels of coaching.heck they run rub routes at the flag leagues for 7 yr olds.
My thing is how come it's not part of this offense? Burrow made a living off goal line red zone rub route concepts 
At LSU.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Look, I like Zac's personality and all of this accountability talk but come on!  He's 2-15 and this abysmal record is approching the dangerous asymptote of Hue Jackson in Cleveland.  The Bengals have too much talent to be 2-15.

Let's cover the good: Zac's drafting has been excellent in both 2019 and 2020, he convinced Mike Brown to invest in free agency and the defense is so much better for doing so.  Hiring Lou Anarumo is proving to be a very good decision and listening to Joe Burrow describe his likes and dislikes is very commendable.

However, I'm starting to think Zac might be worse than Marvin as an actual gametime coach.  That physically hurts to type; that I can tell you!  It takes a special person to be a coach "in the moment" and while Marvin had that quality for the most part during the regular season, I have to admit Zac may not have this quality at all.

“Excellent” is pretty generous wrt our 2019 draft.

Reply/Quote
I find it amazing that our offense looked it's best running the hurry up at the end of the game. Also, our one TD came off a Burrow audible.

There does seem to be some serious issues with the playcalling. And yes, creativity seems to be lacking.

You'd think when Burrow was getting pressured in the first half that we'd get the backs and Tight Ends involved on some quick throws and some dump offs. But that didn't happen until much later in the game. You'd also think we'd run a ton of shotgun. But that didn't happen until much later either.

How about running a toss or a sweep with Bernard? How about a split backfield? How about a reverse? How about a trick play?

The play calling seemed extremely vanilla. And adjustments seemed to come a tad too late.

If your rookie QB, playing his very first game, is at his best running a hurry up 2 minute drill that tells me two things:

1.) That QB has a set of brass balls on him.
2.) Your normal playcalling is lacking, and didn't design a very good game plan for him.
Reply/Quote
It's not just the playcalling but also the play design that is defective.

You know you have an OL with pass blocking issues especially on the right side. Why no TE or RB to help out on the right side? Why no rolling Burrow out of the pocket to give plays more time to develop? Supposedly one thing he brings is mobility in the pocket - why aren't we using it? As mentioned above, why wait so long to go shotgun? Yes we have OL issues but the play designs are hanging them out to dry also.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Look, I like Zac's personality and all of this accountability talk but come on!  He's 2-15 and this abysmal record is approching the dangerous asymptote of Hue Jackson in Cleveland.  The Bengals have too much talent to be 2-15.

Sorry, but I don't know how people think this team is so talented, particularly on offense.

John Ross, for all his faults, has been the #3 WR for the last 3 years through 2 different HC's and OC's.  Think about that.  32 year old AJ Green missed a year and a half, comes in, has a mediocre day, and is still head and shoulders above the rest of the WR group.  

Bobby Hart is still a starter.  RG is a mess.  Uzi is an ok starter, but he doesn't make a pimple on a guy like Hunter Henry's ass.  Joe Mixon is good, but not as great as he's made out to be.

Everyone was.down on Lou after last year.  They went out and got him some good players and so far, so good.  Coaches can only polish a turd so much.  Everyone wants an easy fix, but this team is still lacking talent in too many areas.  Dalton was part of the problem, but he wasn't the main issue.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:06 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sorry, but I don't know how people think this team is so talented, particularly on offense.

John Ross, for all his faults, has been the #3 WR for the last 3 years through 2 different HC's and OC's.  Think about that.  32 year old AJ Green missed a year and a half, comes in, has a mediocre day, and is still head and shoulders above the rest of the WR group.  

Bobby Hart is still a starter.  RG is a mess.  Uzi is an ok starter, but he doesn't make a pimple on a guy like Hunter Henry's ass.  Joe Mixon is good, but not as great as he's made out to be.

Everyone was.down on Lou after last year.  They went out and got him some good players and so far, so good.  Coaches can only polish a turd so much.  Everyone wants an easy fix, but this team is still lacking talent in too many areas.  Dalton was part of the problem, but he wasn't the main issue.  
The line wasnt awful in the 2nd half. Name 10 number 2 receivers better than Boyd. I will be waiting a long time. we have top 10 Dline Top 5 Safeties  talent isn't lacking. Coaching might be but not talent
Reply/Quote
We talked about offensive line for a very long time in the Andy era, Burrow has more potential but likely no QB is going to succeed behind this line. Unpopular opinion for me is to get the Oline fixed ASAP and not within 2-3 years and the only way is to trade a valuable asset like Joe Mixon. Would have to be multi team deal because who would trade for a good RB and also trade their O-line away lol.

By the time this Oline is fixed via other means, Mixon will be at the top of the hill and coming back down statistically. Can we fix these problems within 1 year without trading assets? We didn't when Andy was here.
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna give ZT a pass on this game. AJ's first game back, rookie QB with no preseason, etc.

But he's running out of passes, fast.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:17 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We talked about offensive line for a very long time in the Andy era, Burrow has more potential but likely no QB is going to succeed behind this line. Unpopular opinion for me is to get the Oline fixed ASAP and not within 2-3 years and the only way is to trade a valuable asset like Joe Mixon. Would have to be multi team deal because who would trade for a good RB and also trade their O-line away lol.

By the time this Oline is fixed via other means, Mixon will be at the top of the hill and coming back down statistically. Can we fix these problems within 1 year without trading assets? We didn't when Andy was here.

Hell - just  trade a first or second round pick for a really good offensive lineman thats under contract for a few more years. We sure as hell cant develop first round offensive line talent. Whats the difference other than youre getting an asset who you knows is good and dont have to take your luck on a first round offensinve lineman in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Hell - just  trade a first or second round pick for a really good offensive lineman thats under contract for a few more years. We sure as hell cant develop first round offensive line talent. Whats the difference other than youre getting an asset who you knows is good and dont have to take your luck on a first round offensinve lineman in the draft. 

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm gonna give ZT a pass on this game. AJ's first game back, rookie QB with no preseason, etc.

But he's running out of passes, fast.

ZT gets most of this season from me. If by the last couple games, we're still not scoring more than 23 points per game or offense just looks vanilla/bland or just plain bad, then I want a new playcaller.

The thing I find interesting is that ZT seems like he'd be a good HC if he was JUST the HC. But, as a playcaller? It's not looking good. But, maybe after a couple games and Burrow starts to hit his stride, ZT starts to open up the playbook and show that maybe he CAN be a good playcaller. I don't know if I see it, but I'm patient enough to wait and see.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote