Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lamar Jackson meltdown
(11-28-2022, 11:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is what happens when you don't have an agent haha. Not saying football players shouldn't be allowed to have emotional moments on social media, but Lamar really should have just let that comment go. 

The last part was really in poor taste. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The only person to have ever said anything like this is Joelist. Joelist has thrown Burrow under the bus several times between this year and last. Has to be what he is thinking of because everyone else has been pretty rational with Burrow. 

Right, I love Joey B, doesn't mean I won't critique him in the few instances he deserves it. Joe Burrow is THE quarterback this team has searched for since Boomer Esiason, and he is better than Boomer. That post was silly.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 10:34 AM)pally Wrote: okay...technically he did not shake hands

[Image: FgPiXWwWIAAU6uZ?format=jpg&name=medium]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The only person to have ever said anything like this is Joelist. Joelist has thrown Burrow under the bus several times between this year and last. Has to be what he is thinking of because everyone else has been pretty rational with Burrow. 

Of course, that dude was calling us Bungles yesterday when the score was 0-0. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course, that dude was calling us Bungles yesterday when the score was 0-0. 

Yeah, he does stuff like that every week. It's usually some sort of "So much for having a good defense..." or "So much for Burrow being that guy..." or "And the offense collapses again...". It's strange. 

I have found the Discord experience to be fantastic, if you ever want to try something different than GDT. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 11:48 AM)SladeX Wrote: Or the rest of the league can chuckle and say “no bro, we’re not doing that. Good luck to you”. They don’t have to be lemmings.

It will be hard not to give other top QBs the kind of guaranteed money that Watson got because the players and their agents will ask for at least as much as Watson got. Which could create a situation where the Super Bowl ends up with mediocre QBs because there is so much more money to spend on the rest of the team. 

Let's hope that Jackson, being his own agent, ends up bringing down the guaranteed money line. Because if the Bengals have to give this much money to Burrow, then they will have to either draft extremely well (and let go of quality veterans) or go with less quality players around Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:31 PM)Nepa Wrote: It will be hard not to give other top QBs the kind of guaranteed money that Watson got because the players and their agents will ask for at least as much as Watson got. Which could create a situation where the Super Bowl ends up with mediocre QBs because there is so much more money to spend on the rest of the team. 

Let's hope that Jackson, being his own agent, ends up bringing down the guaranteed money line. Because if the Bengals have to give this much money to Burrow, then they will have to either draft extremely well (and let go of quality veterans) or go with less quality players around Burrow.

There's a salary cap - PER TEAM.
I think at some point, a salary cap PER POSITION should be considered.
It's disheartening that teams have to dismantle and give up good players to keep ONE player due to salary issues.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:31 PM)Nepa Wrote: It will be hard not to give other top QBs the kind of guaranteed money that Watson got because the players and their agents will ask for at least as much as Watson got. Which could create a situation where the Super Bowl ends up with mediocre QBs because there is so much more money to spend on the rest of the team. 

I think folks are underestimating the power of a bunch of Billionaires. Remember when Rookies were getting huge contracts? The owners put a stop to it. They'll do the same to these ballooning contracts and the large guarantees. 

Side Note: If I ever challenge you to a spelling bee make guarantee my first word, you will win. 

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 12:54 PM)Tomkat Wrote: There's a salary cap - PER TEAM.
I think at some point, a salary cap PER POSITION should be considered.
It's disheartening that teams have to dismantle and give up good players to keep ONE player due to salary issues.

Pat Kirwan thinks contracts should move to "percentage of the cap." For instance, Offer JB 15% of the Cap for the next 5 years. Cap goes up, his salary goes up. 

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 11:48 AM)SladeX Wrote: Or the rest of the league can chuckle and say “no bro, we’re not doing that. Good luck to you”. They don’t have to be lemmings.

And thats why the NFLPA is suing the NFL for collusion again.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 10:34 AM)pally Wrote: okay...technically he did not shake hands

Lamar isn't a bad guy. Bad moment with the interaction between the fan. He should take some notes from KD and realize that negative fan interaction is never going to result in a net positive. Stay above the fray.
Reply/Quote

Gotta love when one person's bad take evolves into a generalization about all of us  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:12 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Lamar isn't a bad guy. Bad moment with the interaction between the fan. He should take some notes from KD and realize that negative fan interaction is never going to result in a net positive. Stay above the fray.

Agreed. I saw Lamar do an awesome thing for a sick kid that loves him and is going through a tough time. Jackson met with him and his family personally during his off time. Sure, I didn't like him not shaking Burrow's hand, and this tweet was in poor taste, but Lamar is not a bad guy at all.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed. I saw Lamar do an awesome thing for a sick kid that loves him and is going through a tough time. Jackson met with him and his family personally during his off time. Sure, I didn't like him not shaking Burrow's hand, and this tweet was in poor taste, but Lamar is not a bad guy at all.

Exactly, we all have bad days and bad moments. Sure you can cross a line that you can't come back from, but I definitely don't think Lamar has done anything as egregious as that.
Reply/Quote
Lamar is 2 things I hate in sports: A Raven and a UofL Cardinal.

WTS, I think he's a good kid that needs an agent. AND I hope he never wins another football game in a Raven jersey.

Folks wanna get a little too self-righteous when it come to those they don't like

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agreed. I saw Lamar do an awesome thing for a sick kid that loves him and is going through a tough time. Jackson met with him and his family personally during his off time. Sure, I didn't like him not shaking Burrow's hand, and this tweet was in poor taste, but Lamar is not a bad guy at all.

I wasn’t a big fan of this move either.

[Image: gvbrj0gno0pcse5t8oie]

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wasn’t a big fan of this move either.

What, the sunglasses? Look, I have followed Lamar since his dayd here at Louisville. He is a class kid most of the time. Everyone has bad days. He met Lawrence midfield and hugged him. He sent a tweet he probably sbouldn't have. I've seen a whole lot of people, famous and not, do that then delete them. Lamar is trying to make a statement with his contract that not all football players have to pay an agent. I'm sure he's under a lot of pressure. Not to mention Joe Sheisty and da boys are right on his tail to take the division. It's kind of on him to win the division and into the playoffs to win his new contract he wants. Give the kid a break...
Reply/Quote

The league has already pushed back.  Murray and Wilson got nowhere near what Watson did.  

Jackson likely wants a fully guaranteed deal.  He's a running QB and running QB's typically fall apart during their 2nd contracts and fade into obscurity.  It happened with Cam and it happened with Kaepernick.  The longevity just isn't there.

If the Ravens were smart, they would tag and trade Lamar.  They can't put a strong enough supporting cast around him now to make a deep playoff run even with him on his rookie deal.  No way they can if they stupidly hand him Watson money.  If they pay him, best case scenario is they struggle as a team for a couple years and he asks for a trade and they eat that huge signing bonus.  Worst case, wear and tear adds up and they get nothing out of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: What, the sunglasses? Look, I have followed Lamar since his dayd here at Louisville. He is a class kid most of the time. Everyone has bad days. He met Lawrence midfield and hugged him. He sent a tweet he probably sbouldn't have. I've seen a whole lot of people, famous and not, do that then delete them. Lamar is trying to make a statement with his contract that all football players have to pay an agent. I'm sure he's under a lot of pressure. Not to mention Joe Sheisty and da boys are right on his tail to take the division. It's kind of on him to win the division and into the playoffs to win his new contract he wants. Give the kid a break...

Yes, the sunglasses. He wanted some extra attention for blowing out a depleted and terrible Bengals team. It’s was obnoxious. We would never hear the end of it if Burrow did that in a blowout win. The narrative would be that he’s way too “cocky” and “arrogant.” But Lamar doing it was just cool I guess.

Also, all college allegiances should end the second a player joins a rival team. Just let us hate on the Ravens QB if we want dammit!

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 01:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wasn’t a big fan of this move either.

I blacked that out of my memory, lol. That was a brutal game. Agree, that wasn't one of my favorites either.

Reply/Quote