Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap on Taylor
(01-15-2019, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's probably a lot of it. He's a young guy. He's a QB Coach and will be making a HUGE jump to HC. And not Head Coach on an organization with a strong GM and player development system.

As an OC at U of Cincy, he wasn't great.

There are definitely some signs that point to him being a product of the Rams talent level.

BUT, I'd rather swing for the fences and see what happens.

IF this guy were going to be the Patriots Coach with a team that has a solid system in place, then that's one thing. Here he's going to have to scout. Analyze current players. Determine needs. Building an offense that fits the players we have.

There's a lot of stuff to do.

On the flip side, he's young enough to handle the workload, and highly motivated to be a success.  That may actually work to our advantage.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: On the flip side, he's young enough to handle the workload, and highly motivated to be a success.  That may actually work to our advantage.

Yes! I've mentioned that in one of my previous posts. I'd rather have a 35 year old, 1st time coach that wants to have an innovative scheme and has his pulse on what it takes to be successful...than a 60 year old 1st time coach.

There really is no rhyme or reason as to who succeeds though. In the HC Class that hired Pederson, ALL of the other coaches have been fired. Some were really good coordinators too.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 12:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes! I've mentioned that in one of my previous posts. I'd rather have a 35 year old, 1st time coach that wants to have an innovative scheme and has his pulse on what it takes to be successful...than a 60 year old 1st time coach.

There really is no rhyme or reason as to who succeeds though. In the HC Class that hired Pederson, ALL of the other coaches have been fired. Some were really good coordinators too.

True.  Even though he was a little older, I was a little more confident in Bienemy.  Look at the track record of those Andy Reid OCs.

That said, maybe a young, energetic guy is what this team needs.  I hope so. Wyche was only 39 when we hired him.....and an ex QB coach. Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 12:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: True.  Even though he was a little older, I was a little more confident in Bienemy.  Look at the track record of those Andy Reid OCs.

That said, maybe a young, energetic guy is what this team needs.  I hope so.  Wyche was only 39 when we hired him.....and an ex QB coach. Wink

What I liked about Bieniemy was he had experience drawing up the plays for the Chiefs. Their offense would be perfect for us.

That said, here he wouldn't be the OC. He'd be the HC.

That's the tough thing. When we want HC's, what we're really saying is Wow I wish they'd come here and give us that playbook. But, that's not what they'd be coming to do. They'd be coming to lead the team. Then, they'd hire someone to give us the playbook as the OC.

Really tough to project things out.

I feel like Taylor is the guy I would hire. That said, he could fail in spectacular fashion if the organization doesn't support him.
Reply/Quote
On the latest Bengals Beat Podcast, Paul Dehner said that everyone they've talked to says the same thing about Taylor - that he has a 'great football mind'. Hopefully, that translates into being a very successful head coach for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 01:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: On the latest Bengals Beat Podcast, Paul Dehner said that everyone they've talked to says the same thing about Taylor - that he has a 'great football mind'. Hopefully, that translates into being a very successful head coach for the Bengals.

The thing that would serve him well in addition to that, would be attention to details.  From what I've read about him, he is good at that as well.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I liked about Bieniemy was he had experience drawing up the plays for the Chiefs. Their offense would be perfect for us.

That's the tough thing. When we want HC's, what we're really saying is Wow I wish they'd come here and give us that playbook. But, that's not what they'd be coming to do. They'd be coming to lead the team. Then, they'd hire someone to give us the playbook as the OC.

I feel like Taylor is the guy I would hire. That said, he could fail in spectacular fashion if the organization doesn't support him.
The way I imagine it is, HC will find an OC that can run and develop the scheme that the HC would like. I have no illusions of our offense looking exactly like the Rams, but I do think they will look a lot alike in some ways. 
I'm really interested in how the game is managed. That is really telling to how good your coach is or isn't. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 01:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: The thing that would serve him well in addition to that, would be attention to details.  From what I've read about him, he is good at that as well.

Yep. Sam recently weighed in about being a young head coach, with limited experience:

“What do you think I was when I got there? You learn on the go. If you’ve got a good staff around you, by the time they put their two cents in there, you’re usually on the right track.”
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep. Sam recently weighed in about being a young head coach, with limited experience:

“What do you think I was when I got there? You learn on the go. If you’ve got a good staff around you, by the time they put their two cents in there, you’re usually on the right track.”

You read that article too, eh? Rock On

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What I liked about Bieniemy was he had experience drawing up the plays for the Chiefs. Their offense would be perfect for us.

ThumbsUp

This will be the easiest and hardest thing for them to do. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: You read that article too, eh? Rock On

I never miss a Sam read. Always interesting thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I never miss a Sam read. Always interesting thoughts.

Same here.  He may be 74, but the football mind is still there.  He said he could be here by tomorrow. Smirk

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Same here.  He may be 74, but the football mind is still there.  He said he could be here by tomorrow. Smirk

Would love to see him involved with the organization somehow...maybe an offensive consultant.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Would love to see him involved with the organization somehow...maybe an offensive consultant.

It would be great to see.  I think it would be a nice set of eyes to help the new coach out.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 02:42 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Ran into Lap at the gym today. After I kicked his ass on the bench press (yeah, right) I asked him his thoughts on Zac Taylor. His response: "We'll see. He's young." I suggested that hiring experienced assistants, especially coordinators, was important, and he agreed. He thinks that Pollack is a great line coach and hopes he will be retained. I mentioned Simmons and Lap did not disagree.

I thanked him for being honest with us and giving us info we can trust. Really a good guy.

Good stuff, i like Lap, seems like a really good guy like you say. I think he is a little cautious about being too optimistic cause of the Shula hire back in the day and it should take some time with a new young HC, probably atleast a year to get his feet wet but in the end i believe this was the right move for this team to get rid of that Marv stink that settled in here.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Same here.  He may be 74, but the football mind is still there.  He said he could be here by tomorrow. Smirk

Don't even say that Wyche.   I love that guy.   I'd hire him in a New York minute - in whatever capacity he wanted.

The guy had more bandwidth than any other mind in football at the time except Walsh.

It's really too much to ask I know, but that's what I hope Taylor has.   That's what's been missing.  I mean there was a lot to like with Marvin Lewis and his era here.

But the guy that's going to take us to the next level has got to not only be professional, he has to be a big picture guy who can handle or delegate the details.

I have felt that the Bengals had a fair amount of professionalism - old school style.  But I don't think they had someone who had a superior vision:
  • How to utilize the players we have
  • How to get the missing pieces
  • How to turn the strengths of opponents on their heads
  • How not to be too predictable
  • How to adjust on the fly
  • How to give your players confidence that they (coaching and players) are just better than everybody else.
  • How to not miss the little things that have big consequences
I feel like the great coaches have those things - plus the old school toughness that trickles down to the players.   That's what I think of when I think of Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Payton, etc.   That's what I think I see in Reich.  

We're not likely to get the whole package.   I want, at least the superior vision.

But I say, "Is it too much to ask for both?"
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:45 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't even say that Wyche.   I love that guy.   I'd hire him in a New York minute - in whatever capacity he wanted.

The guy had more bandwidth than any other mind in football at the time except Walsh.

It's really too much to ask I know, but that's what I hope Taylor has.   That's what's been missing.  I mean there was a lot to like with Marvin Lewis and his era here.

But the guy that's going to take us to the next level has got to not only be professional, he has to be a big picture guy who can handle or delegate the details.

I have felt that the Bengals had a fair amount of professionalism - old school style.  But I don't think they had someone who had a superior vision:
  • How to give your players confidence that they (coaching and players) are just better than everybody else.
I feel like the great coaches have those things - plus the old school toughness that trickles down to the players.   That's what I think of when I think of Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Payton, etc.   That's what I think I see in Reich.  

We're not likely to get the whole package.   I want, at least the superior vision.

Well.....the article did say he said it "jokingly". Wink

I think you're spot on with everything you laid out there.  It's not too much to ask for both, let's hope we get it.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:45 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't even say that Wyche.   I love that guy.   I'd hire him in a New York minute - in whatever capacity he wanted.

Great post, this is what we need. Atleast we have a chance now, Taylor seems really confident and he is a great communicator, that is a start. He comes from those coaches in LA that are very aggressive which is what you need to have to beat the Patriots, that is how the Eagles beat them in the SB last year. I think we have the players to succeed we just needed the coaching.

Hard to even judge your players when you have bad coaching.
Reply/Quote
I know Sam was joking, but I think they would be extremely negligent if they don't try to get him in at least as a consultant. They should be doing that with all the Bengal greats.... use your assets
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 02:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: The way I imagine it is, HC will find an OC that can run and develop the scheme that the HC would like. I have no illusions of our offense looking exactly like the Rams, but I do think they will look a lot alike in some ways. 
I'm really interested in how the game is managed. That is really telling to how good your coach is or isn't. 

I think we have some of the same type of players at skill positions. But, their offensive line is a Top 5 line and ours is a Bottom 5 line. That's huge.

The Rams personnel is better at every position on offense except at WR with AJ Green. That's a pretty sobering fact.

But, if you put Mixon on the Rams, I think he'd have near the success of Gurley.
Reply/Quote