Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lapham called out Ross
(09-24-2018, 12:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Goodberry is garbage

Garbageberry?  Sounds like some sort of fruit sorbet Oscar the Grouch would eat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 12:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, the reason I am so adamant it was an adjustment is where the ball ended up. It was right on track for a seam. Take into account that is the proper throw against cover 3 not the post and Dalton's reaction on the sideline tells me Ross missed and adjustment. 

I agree....and with him being a young player with little experience, it's bound to happen.  He's got to clean that up, and he needs to not quit on a play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 12:45 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: So I don't know  much of Ross's background and decided to do some research. Going with WIkipedia,  I'm disappointed to what I find:

College career

"Ross played in all 13 games as a true freshman at Washington in 2013. He finished the year with 16 receptions for 208 yards and one touchdown as a receiver and had 720 kick return yards and a touchdown.[7] In 2014, he played in 13 of 14 games, with seven starts as a receiver and four as a cornerback. That season, he had 17 receptions for 371 yards and four touchdowns as a receiver, 12 tackles and an interception as a cornerback, and had 938 return yards and two touchdowns.[8][9] Ross missed the 2015 season after suffering a torn ACL during spring practices.[10] Ross returned from the injury in 2016 and had five receptions for 90 yards with two receiving touchdowns and a kick return touchdown in his first game back against Rutgers.[11][12][13] On January 3, 2017, Ross announced his decision to forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft.[14] On February 10, 2017, it was revealed that Ross was diagnosed with a torn labrum in his shoulder. He injured his shoulder earlier during the 2016 season, and re-aggravated it on December 31 in a loss against Alabama in the 2016 Peach Bowl in the College Football Playoff. The injury required surgery, but Ross decided to put it on hold until after the NFL Scouting Combine and pro day workouts.[15] "

So he was out for 1 season with a torn ACL, and then ON TOP OF THAT, he decides to forego his Senior year!! WHAT? you serious??? Then ON TOP OF that, he  plays a good chunk of another year as a CORNERBACK?!?!?!?!?! This really boils my blood. With all this baggage, the cincinnati bengals draft a hardly season proven player. Now I know why Marvin dislike this guy. WTH decided to draft this kid in the bengals org. So if we go by everyone's reasoning, not only is he still a "rookie" because he missed last season, he is still a "college" player. FFS!!!!! Now I really dislike everything to do with this player. With his dropsies reputation he's gaining, I can see why he played cornerback in high school and college. Maybe to save face for being a bust draft pick, we can put him with Kirkpatrick to help him out. His stats doesn't make him a #1 draft pick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_(American_football)

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him just yet......but the pick actually screams Mike Clown.

Reply/Quote
Even if Dalton threw to the better spot, why would he and the OC trust Ross to make an adjustment as needed when he has already proven he cannot (yet, or never?) be trusted to make such an adjustment. That turns the play into a hope and prayer. Maybe it would be best if you just got Ross to run the route he is supposed to in games until he is able to adjust to the same thinking as the QB.

Bad play by Ross, bad effort by Ross but also bad assumption by Dalton. And the ball still looked like a lame duck throw. We still had plenty of weapons to use and plenty of time on the clock
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 01:11 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Even if Dalton threw to the better spot, why would he and the OC trust Ross to make an adjustment as needed when he has already proven he cannot (yet, or never?) be trusted to make such an adjustment. That turns the play into a hope and prayer. Maybe it would be best if you just got Ross to run the route he is supposed to in games until he is able to adjust to the same thinking as the QB.

Bad play by Ross, bad effort by Ross but also bad assumption by Dalton. And the ball still looked like a lame duck throw. We still had plenty of weapons to use and plenty of time on the clock

This is a good point.  Be interesting to see how they respond moving forward.

Reply/Quote
Let's be honest, if his mental capacity is not there yet to learn his routes, then have him go deep in a simple straight line on every play. After all he is the FASTEST SPEEDSTER WR in the NFL. Which is what you need for those long pass victories.
Reply/Quote
John Ross is looking a Lot like Jerome Simpson II

Was he not nicknamed "Jerope Simpson" for some reason on the boards? LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 01:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Let's be honest, if his mental capacity is not there yet to learn his routes, then have him go deep in a simple straight line on every play. After all he is the FASTEST SPEEDSTER WR in the NFL.   Which is what you need for those long pass victories.

I've said it before, his speed is not that elite. When you run a 4.2, but the defender is a 4.3 or 4.4 guy and can jam you at the line, he is going to be right there the whole route, and if there is any adjustment at all to the ball the advantage is gone. Ross needs to learn to make the contested completion.
Reply/Quote
But guys...he worked out with TJ Housh in the off season. Remember?!
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 01:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: But guys...he worked out with TJ Housh in the off season. Remember?!

There was no reason not to be excited about that? TJ didn't teach him to quit on routes....
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 01:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've said it before, his speed is not that elite. When you run a 4.2, but the defender is a 4.3 or 4.4 guy and can jam you at the line, he is going to be right there the whole route, and if there is any adjustment at all to the ball the advantage is gone. Ross needs to learn to make the contested completion.

It's been said many times and it's true. Speed in shorts on a track and speed on a football field in game are two different things.

Ross's football speed isn't there yet in more ways than one. Will it ever get there ? Doesn't look like it so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 02:34 AM)Trademark Wrote: Wish I had a clip, but did you all hear that on the radio where Dave called out Ross for stopping on his route? Lol

Guess there will be a handful of folks from the board that will have to go talk to lap and tell him he's just negative Sarcasm .
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is no one talking about the awful ball Andy threw? That thing was a duck and was begging to be picked off.

Ross did stop on his route, but if Andy threw it to the post, where it should have been, then that ball would never have been intercepted. Its both of their faults.

Vintage Andy Dalton...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Maybe Ross looked good in training camp because he kept beating Dre

Reply/Quote
Panthers have a good defense. secondary is solid. Ross isn't AJ Green yet. Need more time to determine if he's a bust yet
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 10:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Side note, yesterday I listened to the 2nd half rather than watch it since I had to mow the lawn, and I'll say that Lapham's enthusiasm is nice but on half the plays I was trying to hear what was going on and Lap was screaming over Dan's play-by-play.  Dalton drops back, he's got a man open, he lets it g..AAHHRGGGGHHO OOOHH AAHHAAHMOOHOOH!HHAHAOOOO!!!!

I was basically trying to deduce what was going on based upon the tonal rumblings of a goofy oaf.  Was that a happy scream or is he is some sort of agony?  Was it caught?  Was it an INT?  I tells ya, it was frustrating yet amusing.

You either love Lap or you hate him. Personally, I love his child-like enthusiasm.

Makes me feel like I'm watching the game with a buddy who also loves the Bengals.

(09-24-2018, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: How does Joe Goodberry know?  I see this cat all of the time.....but what, exactly, are his credentials?  I mean, why isn't he a scout or coach somewhere?  He's a journalist.

Ross stopped on a route.  He wasn't even looking back at the QB (you know, like Tyler Boyd was TWICE when the pocket broke down and moved to get open).  He's playing like shit right now, no two ways about it.

This guy is praising John Ross all over twitter.....he just can't stand to admit he's wrong.  Typical blowhard.

1. Is Goofberry really a journalist? I thought he wrote for Cincy Jungle.

2. Goofberry also hates Dalton, so he has double the reason to defend Ross on that play. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If AJ is healthy (big if with a hip injury which we know has ended careers), Ross has to be benched and traded if possible. No way Dalton can trust him and we all have seen nothing good happens when the ball is thrown his way. Just can't play a player you can't trust and any pass attempts his way typically ends in a interception.

Just can't play under those circumstances. Cut the losses and move on.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don’t get it guys.. why can’t both Dalton AND Ross be in the wrong on that INT? The first one I get, but he did force feed it to him still.

But the second one? Dalton threw a bad ball, and Ross quit on his route.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:31 PM)thillan Wrote: I don’t get it guys.. why can’t both Dalton AND Ross be in the wrong on that INT? The first one I get, but he did force feed it to him still.

But the second one? Dalton threw a bad ball, and Ross quit on his route.

Yeah when I saw that pass flutter making some quacking noises, I was like uh-oh. Then I saw the replay, and how Ross wasn't even looking back for it even as he was on the strong side, so he should have been looking for it as he had to be near the top of Andy's progressions. It was the perfect scenario between the qb and wr there for a safety to make one of the easiest interceptions possible.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You either love Lap or you hate him. Personally, I love his child-like enthusiasm.

Makes me feel like I'm watching the game with a buddy who also loves the Bengals.

1. Is Goofberry really a journalist? I thought he wrote for Cincy Jungle.

2. Goofberry also hates Dalton, so he has double the reason to defend Ross on that play. 

Hell, he may not even be that....a quick Google search doesn't turn up much.....but, alas, he's some sort of expert. Rolleyes 

Reply/Quote