Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lapham called out Ross
(09-24-2018, 03:31 PM)thillan Wrote: I don’t get it guys.. why can’t both Dalton AND Ross be in the wrong on that INT? The first one I get, but he did force feed it to him still.

But the second one? Dalton threw a bad ball, and Ross quit on his route.

I actually think the 1st one was solely on AD, and the CB making the play.  To me, it's hard to say the 2nd one was an errant throw when we have no idea where Ross was supposed to be.......apparently, he didn't either.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bit off topic, but Lapham and Lance McAlister will be doing their weekly Bengals Line from 6-9 later today. It will be on 700 wlw, and maybe Bengals website. Have to think this will be one of topics.

https://700wlw.iheart.com/schedule/
https://www.bengals.com/listen/bengalsline
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:15 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Panthers have a good defense. secondary is solid. Ross isn't AJ Green yet. Need more time to determine if he's a bust yet

That is for certain and willing to bet he never will be nowhere near as good as AJ Green. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Was not listening to Lap but think we both were simultaneously calling out Ross at same time.

Know I walked closer to TV using choice words aimed directly at Ross, !@#%$&*^%#@!#%^!!!

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yet as unhappy as I am with Ross presently, am on that exact opposite end of spectrum with my opinion about Boyd.

Tyler is killing it, and John is lost right now.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
When the announcers and the sideline both reacted specifically that Ross caused two INTs I’ll believe them over our anti-Andy MB contingent.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I was all for giving him the year, but there are some hings that require no skill. Playing out the whole play requires no skill. If he can't do that it doesn't matter how much skill he has. 

Ross to me is a big *****.Its very clear to me that he does not like any contact as he is afraid of getting hammered.I played middle linebacker in high school and its clear to me he hates any contact.This guy has quit on routes many times and I feel like he is a bust.Until he proves to me he is a tough dude and should be handing out hits all game,I will continue to call him out.He cost us this game and to me that is unexcusable.Right now he sucks and I would sit him and put Erickerson in his slot place,He catches everything and gets open.He should be starting in place of stinkin ross,I so hat to lose and we could have easily won that game in spite of the stinkin defense.To allow another team to run over 200 yards on you,I mean I would have started a fight and kicked someones ass just to feel better,they certainly could not tackle anyone.WHAT A JOKE.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:02 PM)Joelist Wrote: When the announcers and the sideline both reacted specifically that Ross caused two INTs I’ll believe them over our anti-Andy MB contingent.

After watching Carson Palmer's "A Football Life", it's a painful reminder John Ross was probably a Mike Brown draft selection and a big reason he was playing Sunday.  I think you can pin those two picks not only on John Ross, but Mike Brown as well.

That's too bad that Dalton gets all the bad press for picks that weren't even his fault.  I think he played one hell of a game and those who don't see that should give this game another watch.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You either love Lap or you hate him. Personally, I love his child-like enthusiasm.

Makes me feel like I'm watching the game with a buddy who also loves the Bengals.

Hmm, I neither love nor hate him.  It's just notably difficult to follow a game on audio alone when he's screaming over the play by play, that's for sure.  Again, I'll say it was somewhat amusing attempting to discern what happened on the play based upon the tone of his bellowing.

(09-24-2018, 05:32 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: After watching Carson Palmer's "A Football Life", it's a painful reminder John Ross was probably a Mike Brown draft selection and a big reason he was playing Sunday.  I think you can pin those two picks not only on John Ross, but Mike Brown as well.

That's too bad that Dalton gets all the bad press for picks that weren't even his fault.  I think he played one hell of a game and those who don't see that should give this game another watch.

The Ross pick was another one of those times when MB channeled his inner "Al Davis" and reached for a physical specimen who could either be really impressive if he got it all together, or he could be really bad and "who cares, I own the team and I'm not going to fire myself" if he didn't get it all together.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is no one talking about the awful ball Andy threw? That thing was a duck and was begging to be picked off.

Ross did stop on his route, but if Andy threw it to the post, where it should have been, then that ball would never have been intercepted. Its both of their faults.

In what world do you live where absolutely no one is blaming Andy Dalton? Imjustsayin'
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:15 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Panthers have a good defense. secondary is solid. Ross isn't AJ Green yet. Need more time to determine if he's a bust yet

He’s never going to be AJ Green. AJ was a star from day 1.

Reply/Quote
I can't figure out how to post this as video...this is awful...

Check out the instagram video down the page...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/24/john-ross-cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-andy-dalton/1411148002/
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:34 AM)kevin Wrote: Because he was so injured in 2017, I still consider Ross a Rookie getting his first reps.  He is making rookie mistakes early, mostly not running good routes, stopping on routes thinking ball not coming to him, when it is, which causes interceptions and missed big plays.  I think he will develop over time. For right now, Boyd is better, Boyd is far better at this time. All our tight ends are better. Malone may be better. For all of Ross speed, he is still making rookie mistakes in his first real year of playing. At some point however, it may all kick in to him. Here is a guy that should never miss practices and should be listening to offensive coordinator and coaches greatly.  Ross is not a good player yet, but he could be.  He needs to learn the routes 100 times better. Again, to me he is a rookie. He has upside of speed, but he needs much more.  Some like Bobby Hayes become good, and some like David Verser don't.  Ross playing in his first games has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

He wasn't all that injured in 2017. He was a healthy scratch for many games and injured himself in practice late in the year, which sent him to IR late in the season. He did come in with an injury, which slowed hims progress last year, but still he had a lot of reps in practice last year and didn't play well, so he was inactive for games. Then he blamed Marv and posted a video of himself catching passes in practice.

(09-24-2018, 07:04 AM)treee Wrote: Ross is making mistakes that WRs make in their 1st year of consistent reps. Can't entirely blame him. Hopefully they keep giving him plenty of reps early in games but not necessarily in crunch time until he proves he can be more consistent.

AJ didn't make those mistakes. Just saying. A top 10 pick needs to play like a top 10 pick. He's being paid like a top 10 pick.

I still hope he turns it around, but I really don't see the effort by him and that's something that will turn teammates off in a flash.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:24 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote:  

Ross to me is a big *****.Its very clear to me that he does not like any contact as he is afraid of getting hammered.I played middle linebacker in high school and its clear to me he hates any contact.This guy has quit on routes many times and I feel like he is a bust.Until he proves to me he is a tough dude and should be handing out hits all game,I will continue to call him out.He cost us this game and to me that is unexcusable.Right now he sucks and I would sit him and put Erickerson in his slot place,He catches everything and gets open.He should be starting in place of stinkin ross,I so hat to lose and we could have easily won that game in spite of the stinkin defense.To allow another team to run over 200 yards on you,I mean I would have started a fight and kicked someones ass just to feel better,they certainly could not tackle anyone.WHAT A JOKE.

You know this was my take on him last year. I really didn't see him as a football player. A football player has to love contact cause the game is all about beating the other guy. In the PAC12 he went against weak defenses where he was consistently open and he was rarely pressed on the line.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:32 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: After watching Carson Palmer's "A Football Life", it's a painful reminder John Ross was probably a Mike Brown draft selection and a big reason he was playing Sunday.  I think you can pin those two picks not only on John Ross, but Mike Brown as well.

Yep. I said the same thing right after we picked him. It smelled of a Mike Brown panic selection similar to the ones we experienced in the 90s.

Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how Merv deals with this. Try to keep him confident or put him on the bench?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It will be interesting to see how Merv deals with this. Try to keep him confident or put him on the bench?

I wouldn’t bench him yet, but he should be on double secret probation.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t bench him yet, but he should be on double secret probation.

I agree, but Malone and Tate will see more targets if AJ is out. Those targets won't go to Ross unless he starts making plays in a game.

Reply/Quote
When we selected Ross, it seemed a bit like a panic move to get another weapon at the receiver spot as we had lost Jones and Sanu. It seems clear they gambled somewhat on the selection when they normally play it quite safe.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t bench him yet, but he should be on double secret probation.

I agree Coach Wormer! We can't afford a toga party at this point.
Reply/Quote