Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lapham called out Ross
(09-24-2018, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No team in the league is going to cut a top 10 pick in his second year.

No doubt

I don't think at least I hope Ross isn't a lost cause, yet. But he needs a serious pry bar to get his head out of his @zz.

If it can be extracted ? I'm not sure
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Know I walked closer to TV using choice words aimed directly at Ross, !@#%$&*^%#@!#%^!!!

[Image: swear.gif]

*reenactment, may not have happened
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It will be interesting to see how Merv deals with this. Try to keep him confident or put him on the bench?

What has Ross shown you to make you think he's going to gain confidence from being on the field?

(09-24-2018, 07:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Even though it's not the popular opinion today, I agree. He's not going to get it, if he's sulking on the bench. I'm sure an ass chewing happened though.

I'm sure blowing a few more routes, causing a few more game-breaking turnovers, and hearing the media and fans call him a bust will get his swagger up.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 04:43 AM)Brimey Wrote: I'm conflicted on that I think. I appreciate Lap making guys take responsibility, but I also don't know what Ross could have done on the ball that AD threw. It's not Ross fault that 18 got hurt and the D gave up 200 yards rushing

(09-24-2018, 06:56 AM)Goalpost Wrote: While Ross didn't play well, I blame the defense more for yesterday's loss.  230 yards on the ground, a broken pass play for a TD, etc.

Also, burning time outs might have cost them points at the end of the 1st half.  

There was plenty of blame to go around besides Ross.

Its not about assigning blame for the loss...its about calling out a guy for poor effort.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agree that benching him solves nothing. But get the kid a sports psychologist at least!

Unless Mike Brown has a psychologist in the family, I'd say it hain't happening.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is no one talking about the awful ball Andy threw? That thing was a duck and was begging to be picked off.

Ross did stop on his route, but if Andy threw it to the post, where it should have been, then that ball would never have been intercepted. Its both of their faults.

The ball was right on target. Ross allowed himself to get bumped off his route and he gave up on it. That's the only reason he was to the right of where the ball was picked off. They showed a replay from the end zone angle and it was obvious what happened.

My question is, why is no one talking about the missed punt block for Hubbard. That was the punt right before that series. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: It was the same route he threw to Eiffert earlier in the game that he made that great contested catch on. It wasn't a post, the sight adjustment was to stay on the seam. The CB had inside leverage so throwing the seam back shoulder provided body protection to the ball. Dalton knew the adjustment and it's why he was pissed on the sideline, Ross didn't and just stopped. AJ, Boyd, Eiffert all make the corrected adjustment on that ball. There is a reason Dalton keeps getting intercepted throwing to Ross, he isn't making the correct sight adjustments as the play develops. Contrary to what most people think routes have built in mid play changes based on what the CB does. The team basically has standards that when CB does X you change to Y, but in this situation you do Z. To me is just seems Ross doesn't really know what he is supposed to be doing in each situation.

The cornerback didn't have inside leverage. He was on his outside hip the whole time. It was a post and Ross gave up as soon as he got a little bump from the defender. Look at the trajectory of the throw and the position of the defender. 

John Ross is weak. 

[Image: Ross_zpsrbcoepse.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:43 PM)kdgjr Wrote: I can't figure out how to post this as video...this is awful...

Check out the instagram video down the page...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/24/john-ross-cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-andy-dalton/1411148002/

That pisses me off when Marvin doesnt answer the questions. He wants complete control until someone has to own up to the stupidity , then all the sudden he clams up and gives generic, coach speak B.S.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 12:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: To go ahead and expand on this, yes while the route was a post at snap the issue is what was the defense? To me it looked like cover 3 which means that inside seam can't take the post because there is a backside safety rolling under it out of frame. Andy, a veteran, sees cover 3 with a post and knows you don't throw the post on 3 you throw the seam. He is expecting Ross an NFL WR to know this and carry the post into a seam and do what every other team does and attack cover 3 up the seams.

Quick update: Watched again #28 is in fact a safety so that was cover 3. While it looks like he could have beat the safety at the end based on where he was when Dalton saw the safety roll before throwing he knows that becomes a seam adjustment.

It wasn't cover 3, it was cover 4. The safety jumped on the slot (Boyd)--along with 2 other defenders lol--who was running an out (a pass they've completed a couple times this season) leaving Ross 1 on 1 with the corner and inside position. 

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:31 PM)thillan Wrote: I don’t get it guys.. why can’t both Dalton AND Ross be in the wrong on that INT? The first one I get, but he did force feed it to him still.

But the second one? Dalton threw a bad ball, and Ross quit on his route.

Dalton wasn't wrong because the safety was standing flat-footed as Ross approached him, leaving Ross 1 on 1 down the middle. It's his job to read the safety and whether he's going to double Ross deep or take the out route. He took the out route, btw.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 01:37 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The ball was right on target. Ross allowed himself to get bumped off his route and he gave up on it. That's the only reason he was to the right of where the ball was picked off. They showed a replay from the end zone angle and it was obvious what happened.

My question is, why is no one talking about the missed punt block for Hubbard. That was the punt right before that series. 

Look I think Dalton had a solid game, for that matter he's had a solid season, but that throw was not on target.  With that said, Ross could have made a better effort to go after the ball once he realized that Dalton was off. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why is no one talking about the awful ball Andy threw? That thing was a duck and was begging to be picked off.

Ross did stop on his route, but if Andy threw it to the post, where it should have been, then that ball would never have been intercepted. Its both of their faults.

Agree 100%.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 03:01 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Look I think Dalton had a solid game, for that matter he's had a solid season, but that throw was not on target.  With that said, Ross could have made a better effort to go after the ball once he realized that Dalton was off. 

Could it have gone a bit more inside? Yeah. Ross slowed down and was knocked far enough to the inside that the ball looked badly thrown.

Reply/Quote
To me the bomb that was thrown to Ross along the right hashmarks was even more disturbing. He actually used his speed n ran past the rookie cornerback (an actual first year player) had about two steps on the guy (Johnson). Dalton threw a perfect pass right in front of Ross but for some unknown reason he didn’t extend his arms out. I was so pissed off. How about use that xtra gear to get to it. Or maybe dive for the damn ball. But the ball was like a foot away. I’m not sure if his vision is messed up or he can’t track a ball not sure what his issue is. Luckily for Ross they never showed a replay of the play and showed footage of his 40 yard dash which he got hurt in. He’s lucky or more people would be talking about that play.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:14 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It wasn't cover 3, it was cover 4. The safety jumped on the slot (Boyd)--along with 2 other defenders lol--who was running an out (a pass they've completed a couple times this season) leaving Ross 1 on 1 with the corner and inside position. 

You're right the endzone video you can see more, the safety comes down with the out so it looked like 3 sky to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, I neither love nor hate him.  It's just notably difficult to follow a game on audio alone when he's screaming over the play by play, that's for sure.  Again, I'll say it was somewhat amusing attempting to discern what happened on the play based upon the tone of his bellowing.

I was forced to be out of the house for a while on Sunday, and I had to listen to about a quarter of the game on the truck radio, only via the Panther's radio network.  I can attest to you, it's pretty much the same thing, only a former Panthers' player is the one bellowing over the play by play man.  I'm almost willing to be that it's just about the same everywhere.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 01:37 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The ball was right on target. Ross allowed himself to get bumped off his route and he gave up on it. That's the only reason he was to the right of where the ball was picked off. They showed a replay from the end zone angle and it was obvious what happened.

Or the fumble he failed to recover. Seriously, how do you not recover that? He was literally laying on top of it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 03:52 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: To me the bomb that was thrown to Ross along the right hashmarks was even more disturbing. He actually used his speed n ran past the rookie cornerback (an actual first year player) had about two steps on the guy (Johnson).  Dalton threw a perfect pass right in front of Ross but for some unknown reason he didn’t extend his arms out.  I was so pissed off.  How about use that xtra gear to get to it.  Or maybe dive for the damn ball.  But the ball was like a foot away. I’m not sure if his vision is messed up or he can’t track a ball not sure what his issue is.  Luckily for Ross they never showed a replay of the play and showed footage of his 40 yard dash which he got hurt in.  He’s lucky or more people would be talking about that play.

Yep. That and the out route Ross half assed that was picked off on the sideline. 

Ross had multiple really bad plays. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:26 PM)thillan Wrote: Lol, are we seriously going to just ignore how much John Ross has opened up the field for us just by his speed? Safeties are terrified of getting burnt by this dude right now.

But fine guys, go ahead and take him out. I'd love to see if Tyler Boyd is as open as he's been without Ross on the field.

Amazes me that we think taking Ross out as a punishment will somehow help this team. Dude has speed and explosion that our other receivers can't match.

Boyd was getting open in his rookie season before we even drafted Ross.....Ross wasn't on the field when Boyd shot Baltimore out of the playoffs last season.....jus' sayin'. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
John Ross was an “Al Davis” draft pick. Speed, speed, speed — and maybe he’ll learn to catch later.
Reply/Quote