Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Lapham called out Ross
Wish I had a clip, but did you all hear that on the radio where Dave called out Ross for stopping on his route? Lol
Reply/Quote
Because he was so injured in 2017, I still consider Ross a Rookie getting his first reps. He is making rookie mistakes early, mostly not running good routes, stopping on routes thinking ball not coming to him, when it is, which causes interceptions and missed big plays. I think he will develop over time. For right now, Boyd is better, Boyd is far better at this time. All our tight ends are better. Malone may be better. For all of Ross speed, he is still making rookie mistakes in his first real year of playing. At some point however, it may all kick in to him. Here is a guy that should never miss practices and should be listening to offensive coordinator and coaches greatly. Ross is not a good player yet, but he could be. He needs to learn the routes 100 times better. Again, to me he is a rookie. He has upside of speed, but he needs much more. Some like Bobby Hayes become good, and some like David Verser don't. Ross playing in his first games has a long way to go and a lot to learn.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
He also blasted him in the radio guy's recap. About a minute in.

https://www.bengals.com/video/radio-guys-recap-week-3-at-carolina
Reply/Quote
I'm conflicted on that I think. I appreciate Lap making guys take responsibility, but I also don't know what Ross could have done on the ball that AD threw. It's not Ross fault that 18 got hurt and the D gave up 200 yards rushing
Reply/Quote
While Ross didn't play well, I blame the defense more for yesterday's loss. 230 yards on the ground, a broken pass play for a TD, etc.

Also, burning time outs might have cost them points at the end of the 1st half.

There was plenty of blame to go around besides Ross.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ross is making mistakes that WRs make in their 1st year of consistent reps. Can't entirely blame him. Hopefully they keep giving him plenty of reps early in games but not necessarily in crunch time until he proves he can be more consistent.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 04:43 AM)Brimey Wrote: I'm conflicted on that I think. I appreciate Lap making guys take responsibility, but I also don't know what Ross could have done on the ball that AD threw. It's not Ross fault that 18 got hurt and the D gave up 200 yards rushing

Ross stopped running to turn to the inside and watch but Dalton had him on a seam so he threw the seam to where he should have been heading. Ross doesn't run through his routes, he is the opposite of Tyler Boyd who is always working. 
Reply/Quote
This is not his first year of football guys. He should know a receiver needs to run his complete route as if he's getting the ball, even if his number is not called, because the play called may break down into a scramble drill. That's first year coaching..... him quitting on that play is nothing more than pure laziness.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is not his first year of football guys. He should know a receiver needs to run his complete route as if he's getting the ball, even if his number is not called, because the play called may break down into a scramble drill. That's first year coaching..... him quitting on that play is nothing more than pure laziness.

I was all for giving him the year, but there are some hings that require no skill. Playing out the whole play requires no skill. If he can't do that it doesn't matter how much skill he has. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 08:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is not his first year of football guys. He should know a receiver needs to run his complete route as if he's getting the ball, even if his number is not called, because the play called may break down into a scramble drill. That's first year coaching..... him quitting on that play is nothing more than pure laziness.

Agree.  That kid needs to get his head out of his A$$.  Tired of excuses, I see rookies on other teams make plays all the time.

Seems to me he is mentally weak.  Always waiting for something bad to happen rather than having confidence to make something good happen.  Just some of his past comments make it sound like his is very fragile.  He needs to grow up, go out on the field with confidence, and make plays to help his team win a game.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 03:34 AM)kevin Wrote: Because he was so injured in 2017, I still consider Ross a Rookie getting his first reps.  He is making rookie mistakes early, mostly not running good routes, stopping on routes thinking ball not coming to him, when it is, which causes interceptions and missed big plays.  I think he will develop over time. For right now, Boyd is better, Boyd is far better at this time. All our tight ends are better. Malone may be better. For all of Ross speed, he is still making rookie mistakes in his first real year of playing. At some point however, it may all kick in to him. Here is a guy that should never miss practices and should be listening to offensive coordinator and coaches greatly.  Ross is not a good player yet, but he could be.  He needs to learn the routes 100 times better. Again, to me he is a rookie. He has upside of speed, but he needs much more.  Some like Bobby Hayes become good, and some like David Verser don't.  Ross playing in his first games has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

So now effort is a rookie mistake?  Sorry, but I don't buy that.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:56 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: So now effort is a rookie mistake?  Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Agreed. Running a wrong route or making a mistake can be blamed on being a rookie. Not running through a play, repeatedly, or going all out for a ball is all effort that any player should be giving. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: I was all for giving him the year, but there are some hings that require no skill. Playing out the whole play requires no skill. If he can't do that it doesn't matter how much skill he has. 

Right !

Quitting on plays and he's done it more than once, has nothing to do with skill, speed, athletic ability, or making rookie mistakes. You learn to not quit on your team in the 7th grade.

I don't know whether it's just being lazy, football awareness, not caring, thinking about where he's going for dinner ? But it screams lack of passion for the team/game.
Reply/Quote
Side note, yesterday I listened to the 2nd half rather than watch it since I had to mow the lawn, and I'll say that Lapham's enthusiasm is nice but on half the plays I was trying to hear what was going on and Lap was screaming over Dan's play-by-play. Dalton drops back, he's got a man open, he lets it g..AAHHRGGGGHHO OOOHH AAHHAAHMOOHOOH!HHAHAOOOO!!!!

I was basically trying to deduce what was going on based upon the tonal rumblings of a goofy oaf. Was that a happy scream or is he is some sort of agony? Was it caught? Was it an INT? I tells ya, it was frustrating yet amusing.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 02:34 AM)Trademark Wrote: Wish I had a clip, but did you all hear that on the radio where Dave called out Ross for stopping on his route? Lol

As he should have.....that was awful.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 10:49 AM)Wyche Wrote: As he should have.....that was awful.

But he didn't even preface it by saying that Ross is basically a rookie! Ninja
Reply/Quote
I listen to the radio broadcast with the tv sound off, so I was distracted looking at my fantasy stats on the laptop when I hear Lap yell "JONATHON!!!" Been listening to him since he became the color guy in the mid-80s and I can't recall him ever reacting like that to a player in-game.

The reason we lost? Nah, not that alone. It's just bad optics when you react like that when we're on the brink of losing.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:04 AM)treee Wrote: Ross is making mistakes that WRs make in their 1st year of consistent reps. Can't entirely blame him. Hopefully they keep giving him plenty of reps early in games but not necessarily in crunch time until he proves he can be more consistent.

I never once saw aj stop on a rout..  that is peewee football mistakes not nfl.
Reply/Quote
Why is no one talking about the awful ball Andy threw? That thing was a duck and was begging to be picked off.

Ross did stop on his route, but if Andy threw it to the post, where it should have been, then that ball would never have been intercepted. Its both of their faults.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 11:38 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I never once saw aj stop on a rout..  that is peewee football mistakes not nfl.

Well apparently then a lot of young NFL WRs are making "peewee football mistakes". I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying I've seen it happen countless times for multiple reasons. It's just how it goes with a lot of young WRs.
Reply/Quote