Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lapham doubts Bengals will sign proven guard
This franchise continues to do the same things that have failed year after year.

Who in their right mind would not prioritize improving the quality of the o line roster?

Mike Brown- that's who.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Saints may need to give up on some of their players because of how far over (about 100M) the cap they are.

Ryan Ramczyk OT
Marshon Lattimore CB
Janoris Jenkins CB
Trey Hendrickson, DE
Kwon Alexander, LB
Andrus Peat OG
Terron Armstead LT

If some of these guys are released or traded hopefully Von Bell can give Bengals insight on who to sign.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 01:52 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This franchise continues to do the same things that have failed year after year.

Who in their right mind would not prioritize improving the quality of the o line roster?

Mike Brown- that's who.

Lol you nailed it. Him and Marvin were a match made in heaven. Somewhere, Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, and Mike Brown are having toasts to 8-8, 7-9 seasons. So frustrating. How does Brown not hear the noise made from the fans?
Reply/Quote
When FA & the draft are all over, I sure as hell hope we have a retooled OL with new players. I'm fearful we'll be seeing the same guys from this season on the OL next year.
Reply/Quote
So uhh, guard round 2?

Sewell round 1?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 02:06 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Saints may need to give up on some of their players because of how far over (about 100M) the cap they are.

Ryan Ramczyk OT
Marshon Lattimore CB
Janoris Jenkins CB
Trey Hendrickson, DE
Kwon Alexander, LB
Andrus Peat OG
Terron Armstead LT

If some of these guys are released or traded hopefully Von Bell can give Bengals insight on who to sign.

$25m of that $100m will come off the books when Brees retires.

They'll probably cut two guys (Alexander and Jenkins), save another $20.4m, and then do some cap space magic to move around the rest in restructures and the like. They play with the cap like it doesn't even really exist.

(Hendrickson is a FA already, by the way.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 58735712.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Two things to remember - one is cincyjungle is not the most reputable source. The other is Lapham was wrong last offseason about free agency.
Reply/Quote
When you hold the record for longest team to go without winning a playoff game....well its for a reason...
Reply/Quote
I really would not be too upset with a line like Sewell, XFS, Hopkins, Spain and Williams. But, they have to have a backup plan for when some of them get hurt, and that backup plan can't be Jordan or Price. They need to sign someone.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: $25m of that $100m will come off the books when Brees retires.

They'll probably cut two guys (Alexander and Jenkins), save another $20.4m, and then do some cap space magic to move around the rest in restructures and the like. They play with the cap like it doesn't even really exist.

(Hendrickson is a FA already, by the way.)

I don't think so.

Brees gets 25mil if he plays in 2021 but Saints cap hit is $36.15 mil if he retires the dead cap is 22.65 mil.

The magic has run out they were all in for 2020 now it is time to pay the piper or release the piper.
Reply/Quote
I don't necessarily see them going out and signing one, but here's what they can do..

Take a look at the rosters of those teams that are having to release people because they are over the limit, if they have FA's we can offer a good contract, force the original team to pony up or shrink away. Then there is also the possibility to Trade for OL on one of those teams if we think they are going to cut a certain player, then offer up a late round pick, take on that contract and bye bye. :)

GB:
C Corey Linsley.. throw an above avg contract at him, Make GB pay to keep this All-Pro Center.
RT Moton (Jags) they aren't really in cap trouble, but they don't have a lot of room either (but this would mean we aren't going to draft Sewell if he's there, if we get him, but it could put us in a Position to trade).

Check out:
Saints, Eagles, Rams, Steelers (no trades here just take a FA), Packers, Falcons, Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Vikings, Giants, Bears (couple of OL here as well). Then Buffalo is currently breaking even as it is, but have several OL that will be FA's this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:14 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I don't think so.

Brees gets 25mil if he plays in 2021 but NO cap hit is $36.15 mil if he retires the dead cap is 22.65 mil.

The magic has run out they were all in for 2020 now it is time to pay the piper or release the piper.

Unless he pays it back...but I dont see that happening lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/19/22236535/nfl-free-agents-2021-dave-lapham-bengals-news

We know that Lapham is connected and this fits with what the Bengals have traditionally done, but let's hope he's not right about this being the approach. It would turn off a lot of fans who have grown increasingly frustrated with the Bengals not addressing OL properly for years.

With that said, if they do go this route, I would expect the Bengals to keep Bobby Hart on the roster for his last year, maybe re-sign Spain, and have a planned starting OL of Williams-Spain-Hopkins-XSF-Hart going into the draft. Then they will probably draft a guard and OT. Those draft picks would compete for starting roles but not be forced into starting if Pollack, Callahan, and Taylor don't feel they are ready.

I would rather get a OT anyways in FA honestly and make Hart a backup.

I think we could be more than decent with Spain and a top pick, XSF as a backup.

We need OT help in case Sewell is not there at 5.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Taylor Moton is 26 and one of the best right tackles in the league. I expect him to get around what Jack Conklin made last year (14mil a year?).

I would take Moton over Thuney.

In a heartbeat. Folks love them some
Joe Thuney around here though because of the Ohio connection.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: In a heartbeat. Folks love them some
Joe Thuney around here though because of the Ohio connection.

Moton would be a fantastic pick up and would bring a lot of fans back around.
Reply/Quote
I think they’ve got plenty of options inside,” Lapham said on the Bengals Booth Podcast. “I think the veteran players have proven [that] at the end of the season. They got [Xavier] Su’a-Filo [that] knows what he’s doing. There’s no question about it. They’ve got veteran players that have played multiple positions and definitely can play guard.”

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/19/22236535/nfl-free-agents-2021-dave-lapham-bengals-news?fbclid=IwAR1aNRYM-yKlvIJMj-cabYnGJllx2JUj0ZT1PJT36DCvVtT1BTf0-gUUJRk

lol
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Lapham-doubts-Bengals-will-sign-proven-guard
Reply/Quote
I won't get happy until the FAs and draft picks that have been signed are on the field playing 1st regular season game.

Call me crazy.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I just can't wrap my mind around how anybody could think going into next season standing pat on this Oline is a good idea ?
Reply/Quote