Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lapham doubts Bengals will sign proven guard
(01-19-2021, 11:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just can't wrap my mind around how anybody could think going into next season standing pat on this Oline is a good idea ?

They did it last season. It's easy to see the Bengals being stubborn and thinking that Pollack will fix everything. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:19 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They did it last season. It's easy to see the Bengals being stubborn and thinking that Pollack will fix everything. 

Ugh. Joe Burrow should press charges.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 02:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ugh. Joe Burrow should press charges.

I definitely fear that we'll "Andrew Luck" Burrow's career. We can only hope (which I hate) that the Bengals are downplaying their interest in OL and go all out to get a guy in FA to show us they're serious.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 11:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just can't wrap my mind around how anybody could think going into next season standing pat on this Oline is a good idea ?

Maybe Lap got his hand smacked for tipping Bengals draft board in past years, and now he's going the reverse psychology route?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would rather get a OT anyways in FA honestly and make Hart a backup.

I think we could be more than decent with Spain and a top pick, XSF as a backup.

We need OT help in case Sewell is not there at 5.

Hart is going to cost $6.9 mill toward the cap in 2021. You can't have that much going to a backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Can't remember where I heard this, probably PDJ's podcast, but Moton's head coach has had a lot praise of Moton's play this year. I'm guessing he'll be tagged.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hart is going to cost $6.9 mill toward the cap in 2021. You can't have that much going to a backup.

I'm hoping Hart gets cut. His 2-3 lookout blocks per game just can't be tolerated.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 10:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hart is going to cost $6.9 mill toward the cap in 2021. You can't have that much going to a backup.

Yeah, cut Hart then, forgot he was getting that much...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: they have addressed the OL 4 out of last 6 years with 1/2 rounds picks... plus Jordan in 19 was 4th round pick.. plus they acquired Glenn at the time top tier area tackle.. The problem is not addressing is bad drafts, injuries (Williams) and FA that did not work out.  I totally could see signing a FA tackle moving Hart inside plus drafting 1/2 OL .

(1) 4/6 years isn't good enough when a crucial position is so clearly trash.
(2) Other than that, we made exactly 1 trade and 0 good FA signings.

And no, guys like XSF aren't good signings. Other than throwing a few picks at it, we did little to nothing to address the problem. We didn't ignore the problem completely, but we also haven't gone "all-in" on fixing the problem like most successful teams would.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 11:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: (1) 4/6 years isn't good enough when a crucial position is so clearly trash.
(2) Other than that, we made exactly 1 trade and 0 good FA signings.

And no, guys like XSF aren't good signings. Other than throwing a few picks at it, we did little to nothing to address the problem. We didn't ignore the problem completely, but we also haven't gone "all-in" on fixing the problem like most successful teams would.

Exactly. When we sign a Jack Conklin level offensive lineman I’ll believe they’re serious. Until then we can keep watching teams like the Browns win playoff games while we sit in the basement of the division.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Exactly. When we sign a Jack Conklin level offensive lineman I’ll believe they’re serious. Until then we can keep watching teams like the Browns win playoff games while we sit in the basement of the division.

Who needs an All-Pro RT when you can have Bobby Hart?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 11:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Who needs an All-Pro RT when you can have Bobby Hart?

In his defense, without him this team would have no Hart.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 12:26 AM)Benton Wrote: In his defense, without him this team would have no Hart.

Mellow

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3526557]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 12:36 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Can't remember where I heard this, probably PDJ's podcast, but Moton's head coach has had a lot praise of Moton's play this year. I'm guessing he'll be tagged.

I believe Moton will be retained by Carolina somehow, but they're going to have to do a lot cuts and restructuring to get the necessary room. Carolina is sitting on only around $5 million cap room right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:52 PM)higgy100 Wrote: If they'll never sign their own G's that they draft for a second contract because they don't believe in paying for that position  it seems to me they'll never sign anybody else's.

That's one of the reasons I don't understand why the team is so enamored with Jordan. By the time they get him up to playing well, if they ever do, his rookie contract will be up. He's already used up half of it.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Exactly. When we sign a Jack Conklin level offensive lineman I’ll believe they’re serious. Until then we can keep watching teams like the Browns win playoff games while we sit in the basement of the division.

I think the Browns had their shot this year, and they are done. When they dumped all their players for draft picks a few years back, all those guys are going to be getting new contracts. They are going to have to let a lot of them go.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 12:26 AM)Benton Wrote: In his defense, without him this team would have no Hart.

Mellow

There is completely zero heart in Bobby Hart...

You can not have this guy on the team next year even as the towel boy if you are serious about protecting Burrow.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I hope Lap is wrong I was hoping for either Thuney of Scherff. I actually prefer these two over a free agent tackle this year. Guard play isn't sexy but I think its important in todays NFL and I feel like de-valuing the position is outdated. The league has a ton of good interior rushers and the quickest way to the QB is up the middle.
Reply/Quote
Unless some big veteran gets cut then I don't see them getting a guard in free agency. I don't like it but that's the Bengals way. Which makes zero sense because when they have been really good they have had excellent guard play.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 01:48 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I’m so sick of reading about the “options” we have. If we don’t address o-line then there is legitimately no hope for this team. I have never been so fed up with a team in my life. To go out week 17 without a whimper giving up 400 yards rushing and Lou still has a job here is an absolute joke. Don’t feed me the injuries BS. Every single team deals with injuries. Follow that with Hobson and Lap trying to ease fans into the notion the Bengals will doing nothing to address o-line in FA and my disdain for the team is at an all time high.

I think we'll snag a couple good O-line players in FA.  Lapham is stuck in the Bengals of old.  ZT has clearly set the tone with spending in FA and I think we'll see more of that this year.  

With that said, it may have been very telling that we have options here.  What that tells me (i'm reaching, I know) is that perhaps Turner didn't leverage some skillsets of existing players to think differently, such as moving Hart to RG.  Maybe we can even get Price up to snuff at Center and utilize Hopkins at guard, or at least make Price a good backup C.  Adeniji got some good game experience over the season and has some tape to work and improve from.  

We need at LEAST average players at every spot, else defenses will key in on the weak link.
Reply/Quote