Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Are We Pretty Much Done in FA?
(03-12-2016, 02:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, Burfict is the suxor 1!1!1!

Rolleyes

Yep, guy that went undrafted because he was bad at football...

wait a second...
Reply/Quote
One thing that this team seems to value over everything is an accountant who can perform magic tricks..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2016, 02:09 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Yep, guy that went undrafted because he was bad at football...

wait a second...

Not sure what your point is.  You said burfit is not any good and I was making fun of you for saying something so ridiculous. 

But Burfict did not go undrafted because he was bad at football.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what your point is.  You said burfit is not any good and I was making fun of you for saying something so ridiculous. 

But Burfict did not go undrafted because he was bad at football.

Wow, really? News to me. 

We didn't use a goddamn draft pick on him, we made very little initial investment. That's the point. We try to find lightning in a bottle at the position with late round and undrafted free agents and the quality of play we see reflects how many times we actually hit.

If we don't invest either in free agency or the early rounds of the draft, we aren't going to see the needed improvement, for God's sake this is embarrassingly simple yet you take a vague sentence I said and try to spin it into the nearest galaxy.

I've hit my quota with you.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 07:15 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Me too regarding Nelson but i think it has more to do with a man crush thing. He just reminds me of the Predator back there with those dreads and I love the Predator. Hall is another toughie. Met him at Best Buy once while we were shopping for movies. (not together). Said something like "Hey Leon what you got there. whatcha watching tonight" while holding my stack. Really cool fella..forgot what he had. Point being both guys are 2 all time favorite Bengals. Seeing them leave will suck.

How they hell can you draw me into a cool story like that and not freaking remember the movie he was going to watch. I wanna watch whatever that movie was! 

(03-12-2016, 02:09 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Yep, guy that went undrafted because he was bad...

wait a second...

Fixed it for you. He went undrafted because he had bad interviews a lot of penalties in college and terrible workouts. Glad he changed most of that around seemingly.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 05:54 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Wow, really? News to me. 

We didn't use a goddamn draft pick on him, we made very little initial investment. That's the point. We try to find lightning in a bottle at the position with late round and undrafted free agents and the quality of play we see reflects how many times we actually hit.

If we don't invest either in free agency or the early rounds of the draft, we aren't going to see the needed improvement, for God's sake this is embarrassingly simple yet you take a vague sentence I said and try to spin it into the nearest galaxy.

I've hit my quota with you.

Ah, I get it now.  You hate it when the Bengals do hit on a long shot like Burfict because it proves you wrong.  So you just try to imagine that he does not exist.  And that is why you said we have no good LBs despite the fact we have a First Team All Pro starter.

Have fun fantasizing about the good old days when we had first round LBs playing for us like Keith Rivers and David Pollack.  Or as I call them "the days of the 20-something ranked defenses."
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ah, I get it now.  You hate it when the Bengals do hit on a long shot like Burfict because it proves you wrong.  So you just try to imagine that he does not exist.  And that is why you said we have no good LBs despite the fact we have a First Team All Pro starter.

Have fun fantasizing about the good old days when we had first round LBs playing for us like Keith Rivers and David Pollack.  Or as I call them "the days of the 20-something ranked defenses."

Lol 

Adam jones, geno, Dunlap, m johnson, iloka are all better players than the teams you mentioned in 2000

To simply say the difference is a LB is crazy.

Adam jones Fa, geno 4th, Dunlap and johnson 2nd and 3rd iloka 5th
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 10:29 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Lol 

Adam jones, geno, Dunlap, m johnson, iloka are all better players than the teams you mentioned in 2000

To simply say the difference is a LB is crazy.

Adam jones Fa, geno 4th, Dunlap and johnson 2nd and 3rd iloka 5th

You saying Keith Rivers is anywhere near as good as Burfict?

We have had a long string of top ten defenses with free agent LBs like Dhani Jones, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, James Harrison, and Burfict.

But we have also used 8 picks in the first three rounds (including 2 firsts) on LBs in the 13 drafts since Marvin arrived.  So I don't understand people claiming we ignore the LB position in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ah, I get it now.  You hate it when the Bengals do hit on a long shot like Burfict because it proves you wrong.  So you just try to imagine that he does not exist.  And that is why you said we have no good LBs despite the fact we have a First Team All Pro starter.

...Yep
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 10:41 AM)Efredtoast Wrote: You saying Keith Rivers is anywhere near as good as Burfict?

We have had a long string of top ten defenses with free agent LBs like Dhani Jones, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, James Harrison, and Burfict.

But we have also used 8 picks in the first three rounds (including 2 firsts) on LBs in the 13 drafts since Marvin arrived.  So I don't understand people claiming we ignore the LB position in the draft.

Last drafted linebacker to contribute is 2009 Rey m.  Donta mohh was a project and who knows whAt we have in Dawson. Maybe Marvin & co  isn't very good at evaluating & drafting linebackers?  So maybe Marvin doesn't ignore the position but they don't seem to contribute with the picks they use.  
Reply/Quote
I think we busted the "budget" on Adam Jones. I doubt we were prepared to pay him 7m a year. We got Iloka on a very good deal so that shouldn't have stalled free agency. Rey's pay wasn't bad (contract wise). It's the Jones contract that has probably ended free agency for us.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They aren't done. The front page article featuring TJ on the official site says that they will pursue some remaining Bengal free agents and look at what (released) veteran receivers remain unsigned in April. The new league year isn't a even a week old. Names like Kerley, Marlon Brown, and another guy I can't remember were mentioned specifically.
Reply/Quote