Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To spoil or not to spoil
People basically telling others to stay off the internet is so stupid, sure stay off Twitter and whatever but it should be different here, we have a reasonably small community where everyone's familiar with each other for the most part.

Seems like a large percentage of people want to discuss the draft along with the TV broadcast and that doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to ask.

For me I don't really care as I'm getting alerts on my phone before they announce but again, I feel like its fair to ask not to be spoiled here of all places.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will say the draft moves really slow in round one. Did we really need a speech from Whit in the middle of the draft? I can see why people went to Twitter. Lol
Reply/Quote
Yea. I left the thread before the Bengal pick last night. I know there was at least one post from a mod saying don't tip off the pick, but I knew better.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:26 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It’s weird that this has to be a discussion.

I don’t care about the spoilers, and in fact want to know as soon as possible. I saw the Bengals pick last night before the NFLN broadcast even announced the Pats pick, so I watched a couple highlights videos then came back to see what others thought about it once it became official. What is the harm in waiting for it to be announced on national tv before coming in to talk about it when you know that others enjoy seeing it that way? It’s like you’re actively trying to break the news to those that don’t want you to do it.

Reminds me of the dude who always had to turn his music up at the Car Wash.

"You guys suck, you don't have stereo as good as mine; nor the amazing taste in music I have"

"Yes we do, we just respect others instead of 'look at me'"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yea.  I left the thread before the Bengal pick last night.  I know there was at least one post from a mod saying don't tip off the pick, but I knew better.

To be fair, no one spoiled the Bengals pick last night. There were a few breaking trades and one dude who posted a couple before the Bengals pick.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Reminds me of the dude who always had to turn his music up at the Car Wash.

"You guys suck, you don't have stereo as good as mine; nor the amazing taste in music I have"

"Yes we do, we just respect others instead of 'look at me'"

Or the thousands of people who rev their engines up or make their cars/bikes way louder than they need to be just so people look at them. Lmao
Reply/Quote
If we're putting this to a vote I don't care either way. Makes no difference to me if other people want to break news. I generally come on the message boards because we hear news faster than we'll hear it on Bengals.com or other sites. Obviously there's good discussion as well. I'm not one to spoil any surprises personally. But if other people do, I could care less.
Reply/Quote
I avoid all other media outlets outside of NFLN/ESPN right before our pick to avoid the "spoiler"...

But I am here for the pre pick banter during the countdown, ready for the reaction/meltdown/celebration. So as the calls for trades, and who we don't want it to be, come in hot, it is deflating to catch the pick while scrolling through the responses.

For the record, I'm just talking about the Bengals pick, as far as the no spoil Draft Day thread etiquette.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
My 2 cents, fwiw. Not much, I know.
1. You can’t control what other people are going to post. If you don’t want to know stay out of the forum until you see the pick. Then jump in.

2. During bengals games i think the only thread open is the game day thread. The mods could do something similar. Then afterwards when the forum is open then the “welcome so and so the bengals” and other threads can start.

I watch the draft, generally with one or more friends. I’m watching on the tube and discussing with them. I hop in here occasionally to see what’s being discussed. I catch up after the bengals pick or more likely when the draft is over for that night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you want to be the first to deliver breaking news, perhaps we can start a separate "Breaking news" thread.

Or get a job working in the industry.  Cool
Reply/Quote
It's a very enjoyable experience watching the draft on TV and at the same time reading the comments of Bengals' fans on the draft thread. Reading fans' insights is just as enjoyable as watching the talking heads on TV--maybe more so, since they see things from the Bengals perspective.

I don't know why a poster cannot wait the three minutes or so for the official announcement of the pick before posting. Kind of kills the climax. And I really don't understand why a poster would defend ruining the experience for other board member.
Reply/Quote
The policy of the board has always been to wait until the pick has been officially announced (meaning from the podium or the 'pick is in' chyron on tv/stream) before posting it. This has always seemed to make the most sense. 
Reply/Quote
I like to watch the conversation about it and the anticipation of the pick and it does annoy when someone ‘goes early’ with it but now I just avoid the forum for a few minutes beforehand, there can be quite a lag, so I see it myself in my real time.
The problem is I guess, which medium is the definitive one to use as the cutoff point.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:37 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Have your cake and eat it too. You want to watch it on TV but not be spoiled by the Internet? 

I don't get spoiler people. If you don't want to be spoiled and you know the information is out there don't go look at it. 

People are going to look things up online. And they are going to report them to be "cool" or "first" 

Is that annoying? Yeah. But I can't change people or what they like to do. All you can change is yourself. Stop trying to control everyone else and focus on yourself and what you can do to be happy

I waited until Goodell read the pick out loud then went to the draft thread to check out reactions & 25% of the post was about spoilers. How bout a warning on the official draft thread that anyone that spoils the pick gets banned for a month, think that will work? 
Reply/Quote