Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says team is discussing signing Warford
This is way better that spending the off-season sour grape-ing over why free agents make you worse!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 09:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is way better that spending the off-season sour grape-ing over why free agents make you worse!

That was my point. When was the last time the possible signing of a player coming off 3 consecutive Pro Bowls was met with; "We may want to pump the brakes".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 06:48 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Please sign Warford.I think this could be a wake-up call for him.

Actually signing him lessons the wakeup call
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was my point. When was the last time the possible signing of a player coming off 3 consecutive Pro Bowls was met with; "We may want to pump the brakes".

Old habits die hard, I guess. 
Reply/Quote
My personal opinion is that they will sign Warford if they can work him out and he looks good. They know they have to get better on the line. They may "like" the guys they already have but no one would choose Billy Price or XSF who has played very little snaps at RG over an accomplished guard in his own right. Warford isn't elite which is why I think some fans don't see the hype but if his problems are fixable, he instantly stabilizes the interior. Jonah at LT, Jordan/XSF, Hopkins, Warford, and then if Johnson is the real deal at RT that's a pretty amazing rebuild of the o-line in 2 years with only needing to use 1 high draft pick.

For people using the Mixon and AJ extensions as a reason why we shouldnt; All can happen. We can cut Alex Redmond and still have enough for injuries/rollover money. They can even cut one of Gio/Shawn if it's necessary and in Gio's case, we all feel he isn't worth his contract anyway.
Reply/Quote
If we sign Warford maybe Fred Toast will say something like
" I don't understand why they signed Warford we have Redmond already....that's not a upgrade "
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If we sign Warford maybe Fred Toast will say something like
" I don't understand why they signed Warford we have Redmond already....that's not a upgrade "

Maybe... But doesn't this sorta remind you of Cordy Glenn? Diminishing skills, and a lack of conditioning?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
For those worried about his declining performance, I'd say this:
There's no way signing Warford would make our Oline worse.
So as long as the deal is reasonable, I see no real downside.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: If we sign Warford maybe Fred Toast will say something like

It would probably look more like this:
-----------------------------------------------

Did you know:

-Only 4 guards since 2004 have posted higher PFF grades on rainy Thursday night games than Warford.

-Of running backs whose last names started with K, and from '17-19, Alvin Kamara ranked 1st running behind  the right side of the line in the 1st quarter.

-Drew Brees passer rating on 3rd and 14 ranked 2nd, 5th, and 3rd during Warford's time New Orleans.

Our hope should be that Warford can be as good as Stacy Andrews. We should bring back Paul Alexander and his magic piano hands to coach him up.  And Larry Warford is a proven #1 guard, just like Matt Jones was proven #1 receiver.  I also think we can talk a bit about abortion and religion in regards to this signing too.  ***Insert bait here***
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:20 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe... But doesn't this sorta remind you of Cordy Glenn? Diminishing skills, and a lack of conditioning?

Couple differences, when we traded for Glenn he was coming off a season where he missed 10 games due to injury, and he had never made a single Pro Bowl, let alone 3.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did you know:

-Only 4 guards since 2004 have posted higher PFF grades on rainy Thursday night games than Warford.

-Of running backs whose last names started with K, and from '17-19, Alvin Kamara ranked 1st running behind  the right side of the line in the 1st quarter.

-Drew Brees passer rating on 3rd and 14 ranked 2nd, 5th, and 3rd during Warford's time New Orleans.

Our hope should be that Warford can be as good as Stacy Andrews. We should bring back Paul Alexander and his magic piano hands to coach him up.  And Larry Warford is a proven #1 guard, just like Matt Jones was proven #1 receiver.  I also think we can talk a bit about abortion and religion in regards to this signing too.  ***Insert bait here***

Woah Fred how did you hack into Wes Mantooths account???
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 10:56 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: My personal opinion is that they will sign Warford if they can work him out and he looks good. They know they have to get better on the line. They may "like" the guys they already have but no one would choose Billy Price or XSF who has played very little snaps at RG over an accomplished guard in his own right. Warford isn't elite which is why I think some fans don't see the hype but if his problems are fixable, he instantly stabilizes the interior. Jonah at LT, Jordan/XSF, Hopkins, Warford, and then if Johnson is the real deal at RT that's a pretty amazing rebuild of the o-line in 2 years with only needing to use 1 high draft pick.

For people using the Mixon and AJ extensions as a reason why we shouldnt; All can happen. We can cut Alex Redmond and still have enough for injuries/rollover money. They can even cut one of Gio/Shawn if it's necessary and in Gio's case, we all feel he isn't worth his contract anyway.

Who plays LT if Jonah gets hurt or isn't ready? It seems a lot of us are just assuming he's going to step right in without any issues. I know Fred Johnson is here but was he really as good as he looked at the end of the season or was that a product of him being fresh against guys beat down from a long season? Do we have anyone else?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: For those worried about his declining performance, I'd say this:

Agreed. Warford can only match the horrible play of our OL last season, not hard to improve on the crap we saw last season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: For those worried about his declining performance, I'd say this:

agree. Signing a consistently above average RG would be a nice improvement to the current OL.
Reply/Quote
It would be a shakeup. I assume if they do it and he is able to start XSF would shift to LG.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 05:32 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I was sleepwalking through my last hour of work.  I'd have to say that this woke me up a little.  ThumbsUp

Now if we could just get rid of Bobby Hart somehow......

Hart actually played solid last year to be honest
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 06:28 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: In many cases I don't think one can separate a "cap issue" from a "performance issue", because if he was cheaper his performance would match his price tag. But yes indeed, according to many sources including but not only Terrell, his conditioning got away from him. Saints fans will tell you he gave up the key sack to knock the Saints out of the playoffs (I believe it was to Everson Griffen on a stunt, so understandable).

I see his lack of a market as due to the fact that any team will want to work him out before signing him, which obviously is difficult now. And we should definitely do that before signing him. I'd love to have him, but only IF he's still dedicated to the game.

Those are a couple of good points, I agree with both.  To the point on dedication to the game;  Sometimes a change of scenery can act as a wakeup call to for players, a reminder to not get too comfortable as it can all go away really quickly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 01:47 AM)Joelist Wrote: It would be a shakeup. I assume if they do it and he is able to start XSF would shift to LG.

XSF and MJ competing for LG is what a playoff roster looks like.  Worst case, if MJ hasn't progrssed the journeyman is good enough to be a band aid.  Otherwise, we have that thing called depth that other teams get to have on the OL.  Our version is usually filled with failed picks they still have to pay and PS guys they can cut every few weeks for a coresponding roster move.  
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 05:07 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I'm wondering why NO let him go?

Rumors are swirling about lacking conditioning and the Bengals would not be able to really work him out.  I think the Bengals are better off spending those dollars to extend Mixon and letting the competition between XSF, Price, and Adeniji play out at RG.  
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 06:46 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Fred Johnson just might be taking Bobby Harts place,least I hope so.I’m sure Johnson will provid plenty of competition for him,to say the least.

Agreed.  If anyone has a game-by-game PFF ranking for Hart (think you need premium), I would love to see how he progressed when the coaching staff changed the scheme to better fit the personnel.  We seem to forget how Mixon took off after the change, and Hart was out there for that.  However, I think Johnson will push him to be at his best and will likely be the first OT off the bench at RT or LT.  
Reply/Quote