Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says team is discussing signing Warford
Question: Can teams bring in free agents for on-site workouts and interviews yet?
Reply/Quote
Given that OG is now the weakest position on the team I'd say it would be a good signing. He's played primarily RG. Xavier Su'a-Filo has played mostly LG, so this would certainly upgrade a spot in need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If there is one consistent offseason criticism of the Bengals, it's that they did not do enough to help the offensive line.  Jonah and Hopkins are the only ones that I really feel good about.  Haven't even seen Jonah play either, which is a bit scary.  I think it's pretty evident from last year that Jordan and Hart are still not good players and should not be trusted to keep Burrow clean on a regular basis.

I think this is a good opportunity to help the team where we still need help.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not sure he's ever done it, but many say he has the build and moves to do it. Of course I'm no OSU homer so he might have played on the exterior some there.

Thought for sure MJ has played OT before, but I could be wrong, he does have the build for it with his long arms.

The main reason the coaches liked MJ was his versatility all across the Line, similar to Adeniji.

(06-11-2020, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Good sign that they are discussing it. But I am hesitant here, given he played his way out of NO. Agree that I'dneed to see him first.

I much prefer Peters.

Would love to bring in Peters, don't care if he is old, he could teach the young guys a few things.

(06-11-2020, 08:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He gave up, I believe, 32 QB pressures last year, the most on the team. Including the one that got them eliminated. He also was out of shape and not very mobile. Still an elite run blocker.

If we do not want mobile/pulling guards AND we think he is healthy & dedicated, then YES. If not, then I think it is a bad idea. 

Yeah, Warford is not good in pass protection, that is his problem.
Reply/Quote
Warford would be a welcome addition. Isn't that stating the obvious.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agree with this; either due to injury, price or something, he still hasn't been picked up; perhaps he can be gotten for cheaper?

Yep, I think it has more to do with the inability to perform full medicals, but I think that you're right.  If the Bengals really want him, he could likely be had for slightly less than the sticker price.  Call it a "prove it" deal, and if he comes in, in shape, ready to kick ass and performs well, then reward him with a better deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2020, 12:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate) Wrote: Yeah, Warford is not good in pass protection, that is his problem.

How did PFF rate Warford in pass protection? How did they rate our projected guards now in pass protection?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It makes all the sense to sign him, just freaking do it already.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 09:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How did PFF rate Warford in pass protection? How did they rate our projected guards now in pass protection?

He gave up 32 pressures last season which was the worst on the Saints O-line. I don't know his pass protection rating.

Excellent run blocker though, 7th ranked. He would be an upgrade at RG no question.

Still like Jason Peters as well who said he is willing to play RT and is excellent depth in case Jonah goes down.
Reply/Quote
Though I am not a huge fan of signing Warford, if we do, we can waive Redmond's $2 million + salary with no penalty. So the cost for Warford would be -$2 mil from his salary, for cap purposes.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 06:30 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Though I am not a huge fan of signing Warford, if we do, we can waive Redmond's $2 million + salary with no penalty. So the cost for Warford would be -$2 mil from his salary, for cap purposes.

Sounds good to me, Redmond hasn't shown much but false starts.
Reply/Quote
Our OL is a disaster comparatively. So any FA is enticing.

But do we really want to implement a culture shift and fill our roster with high-character young players who can develop? Or pick up aging vets on the decline with motivational red flags (e.g. being out of shape). He also can't pass protect which is the main reason everyone wants him (because of keeping Burrow clean). I just don't think he fits with the image of the team.

Redmond and Price both can run block and still develop. I guess it comes down to our 2021 draft board and if IL is high on the list.
Reply/Quote
I would cut Williams and sign Warford.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If choosing the upside between redmond and warford its pretty clear that warford wins out everytime. He just needs a contract that addresses the concerns and gives the team an out.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2020, 09:38 PM)J24 Wrote: I would cut Williams and sign Warford.

Since we are talking O-line my first thought was "Cut Jonah!?!?"
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since we are talking O-line my first thought was "Cut Jonah!?!?"
I was talking about Shawn Williams the safety.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It shouldn't be this hard to find a guard..... Give the young ones a shot to continue to develop. If no one rises, then revisit Warford closer to the season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Guys like josh Kline and Mike Person are still out there i think and would come much cheaper than Warford and would be good additions too.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 06:37 PM)Bruce Wrote: Guys like josh Kline and Mike Person are still out there i think and would come much cheaper than Warford and would be good additions too.

I don't know much about Kline but would love to bring in Person.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2020, 06:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know much about Kline but would love to bring in Person.

but would you accept adding Kline if they felt that was their best option for talent and contract
Reply/Quote