Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham says team is discussing signing Warford
If Warford is such a great deal, like he appears on paper, he sure has been out there for awhile now without another team jumping on him...…. seems like we are not the only ones with reservations.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If Warford is such a great deal, like he appears on paper, he sure has been out there for awhile now without another team jumping on him...…. seems like we are not the only ones with reservations.

I think timing really hurt him, same as it did Andy.  Most everyone had spent up all their FA money by the time he hit the market and he isn't going to want to take a multi-year deal at less than his market value.  If he's going to be stuck taking a one year prove it type deal, he may as well wait until after TC to sign to mitigate his injury risk.

For us, he's definitely better than any G we have, but the difficulty pulling he showed last year is a concern.  You would want to look him over and make sure he's in shape before making a big commitment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 09:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If Warford is such a great deal, like he appears on paper, he sure has been out there for awhile now without another team jumping on him...…. seems like we are not the only ones with reservations.

No one has been able to work him out cause of this crap that has been going on and he has had troubles staying in shape before.

Cannot be too eager to sign him until we know he is in shape, maybe he can post some vids showing him working out or somethin'.

If he is in shape you sign the guy, road grader in the run game for us at RG and we would have a good competition going on at LG
with Jordan and XSF. All of this while adding Adeniji in the Draft could be major upgrades all across the O-line with Adeniji competing
at multiple spots, namely RT with Hart and FJ.
Reply/Quote
So who comes in at LT if Jonah has problems? I think they should be looking at a swing tackle not another guard. I'm not against signing Warford. I'm just concerned that Burrow's blindside could be in jeopardy. Does the new guy we drafted play LT?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 01:34 PM)Mer Wrote: So who comes in at LT if Jonah has problems? I think they should be looking at a swing tackle not another guard. I'm not against signing Warford. I'm just concerned that Burrow's blindside could be in jeopardy. Does the new guy we drafted play LT?

Adeniji can play all over the Line, yes even LT. So can Fred Johnson and MJ.

But yeah, If Jonah gets injured again it is not good most likely.
Reply/Quote
At the very least, the Bengals will sell alot of jerseys to us Kentucky fans. Just sign him already! Lol. Hes better than what we have at the spot.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji can play all over the Line, yes even LT. So can Fred Johnson and MJ.

But yeah, If Jonah gets injured again it is not good most likely.

Cool. I wasn't aware MJ could play tackle.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
I wonder how far down his asking price has gone. He's been out there awhile now with no deal. I wonder if he's getting into lower cost, lower risk territory.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2020, 11:20 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe... But doesn't this sorta remind you of Cordy Glenn? Diminishing skills, and a lack of conditioning?

2019 was Warford's second-best season in the past 6 years and his best since 2016.
He's not showing signs of decline on the field.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 02:20 PM)samhain Wrote: I wonder how far down his asking price has gone. He's been out there awhile now with no deal. I wonder if he's getting into lower cost, lower risk territory.

Agree with this; either due to injury, price or something, he still hasn't been picked up; perhaps he can be gotten for cheaper?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 02:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Agree with this; either due to injury, price or something, he still hasn't been picked up; perhaps he can be gotten for cheaper?

That would be ideal.  Rumors of work ethic issues make me hesitant to see him get a 5-7 mil deal as discussed after his release.  

3-4?  Yeah, I like the sound of that.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 12:39 AM)Mer Wrote: Who plays LT if Jonah gets hurt or isn't ready? It seems a lot of us are just assuming he's going to step right in without any issues. I know Fred Johnson is here but was he really as good as he looked at the end of the season or was that a product of him being fresh against guys beat down from a long season? Do we have anyone else?
Jonah, Hart, Johnson, Adenji, Prince, and Dugas are all the tackles currently on the roster. Most feel good about Jonah and are cautiously optimistic about Johnson. Hart is controversial as people look at the stretch where he played decently but also don't realize that he looked terrible against any capable pass rush we played last year (SF, Pitt, Jacksonville, Baltimore). Adenji is a 6th rounder we shouldn't have any expectations for but the coaches really like him and think he can play tackle if needed to. Prince and Dugas are practice squad guys. We definitely need more help at tackle but the coaches may not feel there is a sizable upgrade at tackle on the market compared to what Warford would be at guard.

I think there are some decent options available for tackle depth. Jason Peters and Demar Dotson to name a couple. Bengals could sign one of them AND Warford if they wanted to. The line would look even better. But it's more likely that they roll with Jonah, Johnson, Hart, and Adenji going into the season. 

Honestly, if Jonah goes down again or struggles, we're in for a long season anyway. You just have to hope that he's the guy we think he's going to be and move on to the next biggest weakness which would be RG.
Reply/Quote
This seems like a no-brainer. Warford could show up 50 lbs overweight with cheeto dust on his fingers, and he'd still be an upgrade.

We could put a literal turnstile at guard and slap a sticker on it that says "Warford" and it'd look better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 2019 was Warford's second-best season in the past 6 years and his best since 2016.
He's not showing signs of decline on the field.

Not my words... Katherine Terrell or whatever. Just seems odd that he's sitting there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
This would help us a huge amount! Lets make it happen for the right price.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 04:34 PM)jason Wrote: Not my words... Katherine Terrell or whatever. Just seems odd that he's sitting there.

I think the conditioning part is definitely valid, especially with teams not being in their normal training and conditioning at team facilities due to COVID.
If Warford isn't good at staying in shape outside of the team facility, he could be in poor condition.
And if teams aren't really bringing players in yet for physicals due to COVID, it could be a big reason he's still available.
It also doesn't help that he was released two months after the start of FA. If he had been released by the start of FA, I'd guess he'd have been plucked up (very) quickly.
We'll never know though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 02:11 PM)Mer Wrote: Cool. I wasn't aware MJ could play tackle.

I'm not sure he's ever done it, but many say he has the build and moves to do it. Of course I'm no OSU homer so he might have played on the exterior some there.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 04:34 PM)jason Wrote: Just seems odd that he's sitting there.

This one line expresses my position.

If Warford was as good as he used to be and willing to play for $7 million then there would be teams fighting to sign him.  He could always do a workout on a video to show tams he was in shape.

I don't know what it might be, but I am pretty sure there is something other NFL teams know that we don't.
Reply/Quote
Good sign that they are discussing it. But I am hesitant here, given he played his way out of NO. Agree that I'dneed to see him first.

I much prefer Peters.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2020, 06:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This one line expresses my position.

If Warford was as good as he used to be and willing to play for $7 million then there would be teams fighting to sign him.  He could always do a workout on a video to show tams he was in shape.

I don't know what it might be, but I am pretty sure there is something other NFL teams know that we don't.

He gave up, I believe, 32 QB pressures last year, the most on the team. Including the one that got them eliminated. He also was out of shape and not very mobile. Still an elite run blocker.

If we do not want mobile/pulling guards AND we think he is healthy & dedicated, then YES. If not, then I think it is a bad idea. 
Reply/Quote