Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Last time we followed Joe Burrow's advice on a WR
We paid A J Green $18 million to be the worst starting WR in the league.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We paid A J Green $18 million to be the worst starting WR in the league.

Who he had never played with and only had tape to base his opinion on. This seems like a bad take, even from you Fred.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What was Burrow going to say about AJ? The guy's a bum, and should just retire?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:27 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: What was Burrow going to say about AJ? The guy's a bum, and should just retire?

He should have had that 20/20 hindsight that everyone else has and known AJ still couldn't run.....
Reply/Quote
Mhmmm and last time this franchise took a tackle in the first round it was Cedric Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mhmmm and last time this franchise took a tackle in the first round it was Cedric Ogbuehi.

Jonah?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He should have had that 20/20 hindsight that everyone else has and known AJ still couldn't run.....

It was not hindsight for me.  I was strongly against bring back Greem.
Reply/Quote
AJ Greene was franchised on Mar 16. A move that had been signaled since the end of the previous season, Burrow had nothing to do with that decision other than the hope that he and Greene would do well together

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mhmmm and last time this franchise took a tackle in the first round it was Cedric Ogbuehi.

And we no longer listen to the coach who evaluated Ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And we no longer listen to the coach who evaluated Ogbuehi.

No but we have the coach who evaluated Price (yes we wanted Ragnow but I always felt like he had Price rated higher than we do) and fwiw, I thought Price looked good with Frank's coaching year one. Im really of the hope that Turner's scheme (or lack of one) really was the biggest issue.

I do believe it was you Fred that points out most of the OL didn't get beat last year, just out schemed with pick ups which sounds more like a quick coaching change, not extensively a personnel change.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We paid A J Green $18 million to be the worst starting WR in the league.

That was a one year deal. It didn’t leave the team cap strapped for 6 years or anything. Money probably wouldn’t have been put to any better use if they let AJ walk. And as others had stated the writing was on the wall with that tag well before Burrow got here.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:05 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: That was a one year deal. It leave the team cap strapped for 6 years or anything. Money probably wouldn’t have been put to any better use if they let AJ walk. And as others had stated the writing was on the wall with that tag well before Burrow got here.

With a rookie QB, it was the right move.  If AJ would have been back to 80% of what he was, it would have been a great move.  
Reply/Quote
I could be misremembering, but didn't Burrow have a connection with some of the top WRs last draft class (not just Justin Jefferson, but Denzel Mims, Higgins, etc)? I thought I remember reading that he worked out with a lot of the top WRs in the pre-draft process and recommended Higgins to the Bengals, saying they had a good rapport.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: With a rookie QB, it was the right move.  If AJ would have been back to 80% of what he was, it would have been a great move.  

I didn't like the move myself.

What's funny is that the intention of the OP was to question Burrow's opinion.  He wouldn't have any personal ties or true opinion on Green as opposed to someone like Chase.

The reality of it, is that we don't know if the perceived #1 WR on the team right now(Higgins)feasted off the opposing D's extra attention to Green because of his past and if he still "had it".

That above statement is the truly valid question.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:24 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I didn't like the move myself.

What's funny is that the intention of the OP was to question Burrow's opinion.  He wouldn't have any personal ties or true opinion on Green as opposed to someone like Chase.

The reality of it, is that we don't know if the perceived #1 WR on the team right now(Higgins)feasted off the opposing D's extra attention to Green because of his past and if he still "had it".

That above statement is the truly valid question.
I'm sure it helped Tee Higgins and co. having Green on the field but i think we saw enough out of him to know he'll be fine without him. In 2019 when Green didn't play at all and our #1 receiver was Boyd he was still competent and not shut down. I respect Joe Burrows opinion and we'll be excited for Chase as the pick and at this point I'm expecting him to be the pick but I think the pick should be sewell
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear. I am not going to freak out or complain if we take Chase (as long as we go O-line at #38). I think O-line is a bigger need, but I can't find anything to criticize about Chase's potential.

I just think it is silly to say we should take him because Burrow wants us to.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm sure it helped Tee Higgins and co. having Green on the field but i think we saw enough out of him to know he'll be fine without him. In 2019 when Green didn't play at all and our #1 receiver was Boyd he was still competent and not shut down. I respect Joe Burrows opinion and we'll be excited for Chase as the pick and at this point I'm expecting him to be the pick but I think the pick should be sewell

Gettin' by and gettin' TDs are two different things.

This team needs the O-line help but they also need an immediate scoring threat or at least someone to draw the D to get the others in position to score.

I'll just stop right there.  We don't need to get in more of those debates.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm sure Burrow has weighed in on Chase and Marshall because he knows them and played with them, but beyond that I highly doubt he is very involved in this process. I cant see any way shape or form he was involved in the decision to tag AJ. He may have been part of their reasoning, but doubt it went much beyond that. I think the coaches and FO were hoping AJ would be more like the pre-injury AJ.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 01:46 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm sure Burrow has weighed in on Chase and Marshall because he knows them and played with them, but beyond that I highly doubt he is very involved in this process. I cant see any way shape or form he was involved in the decision to tag AJ. He may have been part of their reasoning, but doubt it went much beyond that. I think the coaches and FO were hoping AJ would be more like the pre-injury AJ.

Agree

Burrow didn't have any say in AJ being retained, that's just a silly thought.

And I highly doubt his opinion on Chase carries much weight at this point either.
Reply/Quote

Last 1st RD Tackle was Jonah WIlliams

Last 1st RD WR was John Ross
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote