Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest from Hobson
A few interesting nuggets from the latest Hobson' Choice:

On taking a LB with the 12th pick:

I can’t seem taking a linebacker that high even if they needed one. It’s just not in their DNA.

I think for them in this day and age a spot that high is reserved for corners, pass rushers and D-tackles. I think with Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Jordan Evans, they feel very good. But you’re right about depth and I think they’ll take a backer on the third day.

On going after a LT in free agency:

Left tackle is the one spot where I wish they would make an exception in their free-agent philosophy and go get an unrestricted guy early. And maybe they will. But I think at the moment they’re thinking those guys are so valued there won’t be anyone available that’s worthy by the time free agency rolls around March 14. And you have to think of those Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins contracts. I would think that precludes a deal like Solder would command, if he’s even available. I do agree with them. Geno and Carlos have to be the priorities and if that means a guy like Orlando Brown at No. 12, that’s good, too. I think by the time Draft Day gets here, the tackles are going to be in the mix up there with the defensive players.  

On considering a QB at 12:

There’s no question if they think a worthy QB is there at No. 12 they will at least talk about it. Just like if there’s a corner or wide receiver or whatever else is there. They would talk about it seriously. But unless they think the guy is an absolute lock and is an upgrade over Andy Dalton, it’s a short conversation. I mean, if he hangs around until 12, that’s enough reason not to draft him since you’ve already got a guy up and going.

The team has a much higher opinion of Dalton than certain elements of the fan base as we all know so the last thing they’re going to do at that position is reach. I do think they’ll draft a QB and it’s going to be a name we know. But it’s going to be in the bottom of the third at the earliest as Dalton’s backup.

On local product Preston Brown as a possible FA interest:

You’re right. Buffalo’s Preston Brown is a Cincy kid and they figure to be looking at him on tape as they sketch out their free-agent plans. I think they like how they set up at backer and they don’t go after UFAs. But I could also see them having an interest in a home town guy like Brown, an extremely productive player.

On whether the Bengals will re-sign Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard, and if they should trade one:

They usually get their guys if they want them and they really want Geno and Dunlap, and Dennard is headed that way, too. That’s why you’re not going to see the big free-agent splash in March.

The whole idea behind keeping Lewis as head coach is because Mike believes they’re close. This isn’t 2003. It’s not a re-building job. If you trade one of your two best pass rushers or your best slot corner, you’re killing yourself for this year. Can’t see them doing that after keeping Lewis. They want to win now with the head coach and QB in place.

Full article at Bengals.com.
Reply/Quote
So a couple weeks ago, Hobson said OL wasn't in consideration at 12 but now says it could be?
WTF
Make up your mind! Give us true insight! He's no better than someone on Bleacher Report!

EDIT - If this team takes a CB at 12 while extending DK last year, WJ3 emerging into a quality CB, and Dennard potentially getting extended, I'm gonna lose my s**t.
EDIT2 - Taking Vea or Payne at 12 will be indicative of what they think of Billings and Glasgow because neither Vea nor Payne are true interior rushers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So basically nothing's changed and Marvin was just the cheap and lazy hire to maintain status quo. Happy thinking MB begged him to stay. Both are playing each other, and it's the fans and the city stuck with a disgraceful team and owner.

Awaiting the homers spin to all of this.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The head coach and QB in place have not been able to “win now” for quite awhile, why would that suddenly change this year?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A few interesting nuggets from the latest Hobson' Choice:

I can’t seem taking a linebacker that high even if they needed one. It’s just not in their DNA.

I think for them in this day and age a spot that high is reserved for corners, pass rushers and D-tackles. I think with Vontaze Burfict, Nick Vigil, and Jordan Evans, they feel very good. But you’re right about depth and I think they’ll take a backer on the third day.

Left tackle is the one spot where I wish they would make an exception in their free-agent philosophy and go get an unrestricted guy early. And maybe they will. But I think at the moment they’re thinking those guys are so valued there won’t be anyone available that’s worthy by the time free agency rolls around March 14. And you have to think of those Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins contracts. I would think that precludes a deal like Solder would command, if he’s even available. I do agree with them. Geno and Carlos have to be the priorities and if that means a guy like Orlando Brown at No. 12, that’s good, too. I think by the time Draft Day gets here, the tackles are going to be in the mix up there with the defensive players.  

There’s no question if they think a worthy QB is there at No. 12 they will at least talk about it. Just like if there’s a corner or wide receiver or whatever else is there. They would talk about it seriously. But unless they think the guy is an absolute lock and is an upgrade over Andy Dalton, it’s a short conversation. I mean, if he hangs around until 12, that’s enough reason not to draft him since you’ve already got a guy up and going.

The team has a much higher opinion of Dalton than certain elements of the fan base as we all know so the last thing they’re going to do at that position is reach. I do think they’ll draft a QB and it’s going to be a name we know. But it’s going to be in the bottom of the third at the earliest as Dalton’s backup.

You’re right. Buffalo’s Preston Brown is a Cincy kid and they figure to be looking at him on tape as they sketch out their free-agent plans. I think they like how they set up at backer and they don’t go after UFAs. But I could also see them having an interest in a home town guy like Brown, an extremely productive player.

On whether the Bengals will re-sign Atkins, Dunlap and Dennard, and if they should trade one:

They usually get their guys if they want them and they really want Geno and Dunlap, and Dennard is headed that way, too. That’s why you’re not going to see the big free-agent splash in March.

The whole idea behind keeping Lewis as head coach is because Mike believes they’re close. This isn’t 2003. It’s not a re-building job. If you trade one of your two best pass rushers or your best slot corner, you’re killing yourself for this year. Can’t see them doing that after keeping Lewis. They want to win now with the head coach and QB in place.

The Bengals seem to think in terms of Serviceable Units rather than pursuing ELITE Units.

Take Linebacker for example, which Hobson rules out since the Bengals "feel good" about the ones they have and it is "not in their DNA" to maybe take one at pick #12.

To me, if a Linebacker was sitting their at pick #12 that would RAISE the line backing group into an ELITE UNIT then he should at least be on the table for consideration with the pick.

If an Ed Reed caliber Safety is sitting their at pick #12 do you pass on taking him because we already have serviceable Shawn Williams ?

In the Bengals DNA to pass.

I am one on record wanting an O-line upgrade and investing some early round draft picks to get there, however, any early pick that can TRANSORM a Unit on the team towards Elite status should be considered, even if it means that a SERVICABLE player becomes a backup.

The Bengals CELEBRATE the Serviceable and they let having those Serviceable players in place GUIDE them away from Unit Upgrading options.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals seem to think in terms of Serviceable Units rather than pursuing ELITE Units.

Take Linebacker for example, which Hobson rules out since the Bengals "feel good" about the ones they have and it is "not in their DNA" to maybe take one at pick #12.

To me, if a Linebacker was sitting their at pick #12 that would RAISE the line backing group into an ELITE UNIT then he should at least be on the table for consideration with the pick.

If an Ed Reed caliber Safety is sitting their at pick #12 do you pass on taking him because we already have serviceable Shawn Williams ?

I am one on record wanting an O-line upgrade and investing some early round draft picks to get there, however, any early pick that can TRANSORM a Unit on the team towards Elite status should be considered, even if it means that a SERVICABLE player becomes a backup.

The Bengals CELEBRATE the Serviceable and they let having those Serviceable players in place GUIDE them away from Unit Upgrading options.

That's the definition of the Bengals right there...serviceable, not elite.
They are content with just "serviceable" at most positions.
They believe that just being "serviceable" at most positions while having a few elite playmakers on each side of the ball will be sufficient to win in the postseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looks like they are going to be using this Dunlap/Atkins excuse all year. And we all know they won't sign both.

Wonder why Hobspin didn't mention the roll over money save for Eifert/Zietler/Sanu/MJ. That 10M they were supposedly willing to pay Whit? The 8m year they were wiling to pay MJ Jr.? Not to mention the 10 million set aside for injury insurance for....... Who did they sign again this year due to injury again? I know it was someone, but did they eat up all that money?

They are full of it and deserve the reputation they have as a mom and pop shop (and not even a successful one).

This serviceable mediocrity is exactly why this team will never be a true contender. Look for the Browns to be the best NFL team in Ohio in 3 years.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So a couple weeks ago, Hobson said OL wasn't in consideration at 12 but now says it could be?
WTF
Make up your mind! Give us true insight! He's no better than someone on Bleacher Report!

EDIT - If this team takes a CB at 12 while extending DK last year, WJ3 emerging into a quality CB, and Dennard potentially getting extended, I'm gonna lose my s**t.
EDIT2 - Taking Vea or Payne at 12 will be indicative of what they think of Billings and Glasgow because neither Vea nor Payne are true interior rushers.

lol nah Not a CB year for us... Unless we move someone like Dennard beforehand  Or make a trade for Peterson..   Both very unlikely..
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Looks like they are going to be using this Dunlap/Atkins excuse all year. And we all know they won't sign both.

Wonder why Hobspin didn't mention the roll over money save for Eifert/Zietler/Sanu/MJ. That 10M they were supposedly willing to pay Whit? The 8m year they were wiling to pay MJ Jr.?  Not to mention the 10 million set aside for injury insurance for....... Who did they sign again this year due to injury again? I know it was someone, but did they eat up all that money?

They are full of it and deserve the reputation they have as a mom and pop shop (and not even a successful one).

This serviceable mediocrity is exactly why this team will never be a true contender. Look for the Browns to be the best NFL team in Ohio in 3 years.

No reason they cant get them signed they both are on contract thru 2018 anyways and already have a decent cap hit for this coming season.   So the extenstions should be a priority or you risk losing both next year.   And it shouldnt add much if anything to this years salary.

Also every year its the same... The bengals aren't gonna tell you what they are really planning. the smoke screens have already started going up.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:06 PM)HuDey Wrote: The head coach and QB in place have not been able to “win now” for quite awhile, why would that suddenly change this year?

just 3 seasons ago they were #1 in the power rankings.....  Other personel have changed since then but the Head coach and QB are the same.  Losing the OL and WRs definitely didn't help the offense. (or Hue as OC)
Reply/Quote
Ok Xeno. I doubt these are smoke screens but we'll see.

Hobspin was wrong tho with Ross. He swore taking a wr under 6 feet in the top 10 was not in their nature. I actually don't think they go DT but cb is an option. Jones will be gone, and they won't re-sign Dennard with Dunlap and Atkins their priority. Dennard is the odd man out. Meaning next year we will only be down to Dre and WJIII.

Corner is likely the non OT pick if there is one. They passed on a great ball hawking safety last year at 9, and although James will be there at 12, do we need a 3rd strong safety?

I think we have to wait to hear from Lap and we can take what he says about who we'll draft to heart.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's the definition of the Bengals right there...serviceable, not elite.
They are content with just "serviceable" at most positions.
They believe that just being "serviceable" at most positions while having a few elite playmakers on each side of the ball will be sufficient to win in the postseason.

What they fail to see is that "Serviceable" isn't really that hard to obtain. When they see ELITE staring them in the face during a Draft or at the very least a Major Upgrade staring them in the face, it will only hurt them if they do NOT pull the trigger and take it.

"Serviceable" guys can be found later in Drafts and there are "Serviceable" lower cost Free Agents that can be had.

Building and/or transforming Units on the team into ELITE UNITS would be my goal with early picks in Drafts, whenever possible.

Drafts will quickly descend into the "serviceable" dime a dozen type guys after a few rounds with a few players surprising to the upside in later rounds.

Would the Bengals pass on the next Deon Sanders because we already have Jackson III and Dre ?

Yes - they would pass

The next Ed Reed - they pass - got Shawn Williams

The next Bruce Smith - pass - got Lawson & Dunlap

DeShaun Watson - pass - got Dalton

** Not knocking the current Bengal players I named above but showing just how OPEN I would be to giving almost any Starter we have Serious Competition for his job if I thought an UPGRADE was sitting there in a Draft.

*** The Bengals are on the other end of this Spectrum quickly ruling Upgrade Prospects out because threatening the job of a penciled in starter is a no, no.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok Xeno. I doubt these are smoke screens but we'll see.

Hobspin was wrong tho with Ross. He swore taking a wr under 6 feet in the top 10 was not in their nature. I actually don't think they go DT but cb is an option. Jones will be gone, and they won't re-sign Dennard with Dunlap and Atkins their priority. Dennard is the odd man out. Meaning next year we will only be down to Dre and WJIII.

Corner is likely the non OT pick if there is one. They passed on a great ball hawking safety last year at 9, and although James will be there at 12, do we need a 3rd strong safety?

I think we have to wait to hear from Lap and we can take what he says about who we'll draft to heart.

According to the article itself, the Bengals (or at least Hobson) didn't consider Hooker an elite safety.
"And that’s part of the conversation about any trade down. Can you get a similarly ranked guy later? That was an internal debate last year. The elite pass rushers (Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas) were long gone. So was the elite running back (Leonard Fournette) and elite safety (Jamal Adams) as they went to make the ninth pick. One school of thought was approach Kansas City at 10 or Houston at 12 in their efforts to trade up to get QBs, slide into the 20s, and take a pass rusher like Missouri defensive end Charles Harris or UCLA outside linebacker Takkarist McKinley.

But Washington wide receiver John Ross had an elite top ten trait. A combine-record 4.22-second 40-yard dash. Tough to pass up. Especially when speed across from A.J. Green is a glaring absence. The way this thing is breaking this year, it may be a lot tougher getting out of 12, especially if the top four QBs are gone by ten. But, if one of them is there at No. 12 and somebody wants him, he’ll probably be more valuable to the Bengals in a trade than taking him."

Who are considered the "elite" non-QB players this year?
Bradley Chubb
Saquon Barkley
Quenton Nelson
Minkah Fitzpatrick

Derwin James I think has elite potential but there are question marks based on his (lack of) college production. If James can run a sub-4.4 40, I think though that might get the Bengals to reconsider.
Same with Tremaine Edmunds but sub-4.5.
Roquan Smith also might not be considered if the Bengals didn't consider Foster in that elite group last year. But he has elite production in college and has better coverage ability than Foster had coming out of college.
I don't see Vea or Payne in that elite tier for the Bengals either given their lack of college career pass rush production (on paper at least). Plus, the Bengals didn't apparently think Jonathan Allen was in that elite category of pass rusher like Thomas or Garrett, and Allen was a better pass rusher than both Vea and Payne.

So if I were a betting man, I'd bank on one of the above four "elite" players, draft a position of need, or hopefully trade back.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Looks like they are going to be using this Dunlap/Atkins excuse all year. And we all know they won't sign both.

Wonder why Hobspin didn't mention the roll over money save for Eifert/Zietler/Sanu/MJ. That 10M they were supposedly willing to pay Whit? The 8m year they were wiling to pay MJ Jr.?  Not to mention the 10 million set aside for injury insurance for....... Who did they sign again this year due to injury again? I know it was someone, but did they eat up all that money?

The bengals are 12th in salary cap to spend for 2018 @36 million.
Reply/Quote
Can we remember this is Hobson and over the last couple years he has been wrong about as often as he is right?
Reply/Quote
Side note, in February of last year Hobson was convinced we would not go WR at 9 if you go back and read his articles.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: A few interesting nuggets from the latest Hobson' Choice:

Hate the excuse saving money for future contracts. It is a business and cuts can be made later to achieve this and sometimes you just need to roll dice. Plus cap goes up yearly. 

Seems we heard the same when Whit and Zeitler's  contracts were coming up. Yet they let them walk ?  It is just a penny pinching  excuse imo. 

Would love to see the hometown kid and former Louisville Cardinal Preston Brown signed in FA and unlike Hobson believe this is a position of need. We are thin at LBer and never know when someone might get suspended.  

We almost have to address one of our needs in FA to have a chance at greatness. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Whatever the case I am nearly certain they'll re-sign Bodine. Marvin and Mike like to troll fans. They want their way to work and prove fans and pundits wrong so bad. So if it's something we desperately don't want.... They'll do. Something we all call for to happen. It won't happen.

As lame as it may sound, I think a handful of us on this board could turn this team into a sb contender if given GM duties for 1 offseason. Probably any one of us.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 02:11 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals seem to think in terms of Serviceable Units rather than pursuing ELITE Units.

I would rep you a million if I could! I have been harping on that for a few years, SERVICEABLE .....  I thought the whole idea was to get better?  
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 03:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Hate the excuse saving money for future contracts. It is a business and cuts can be made later to achieve this and sometimes you just need to roll dice. Plus cap goes up yearly. 

Seems we heard the same when Whit and Zeitler's  contracts were coming up. Yet they let them walk ?  It is just a penny pinching  excuse imo. 

Would love to see the hometown kid and former Louisville Cardinal Preston Brown signed in FA and unlike Hobson believe this is a position of need. We are thin at LBer and never know when someone might get suspended.  

We almost have to address one of our needs in FA to have a chance at greatness. 

The Bengals have this fear that if they start cutting people early or restructuring contracts, it's going to deter players from coming here and/or the team will have to start increasing the amount of guaranteed money.
There may be SOME truth to that, but sometimes the guidelines have to be broken to take the next step.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote