Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Lead story on pro football talk about Burrow not wanting to play here.
(02-06-2020, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, he wants nothing to do with Cincinnati. That's why he's banging around with Sam Hubbard at the Super Bowl. They've probably already made plans about what they are going to do when Burrow gets into town....

I heard Joe Burrow's father talk on local Radio here in Cincinnati a few weeks ago (after LSU had won it all)

His father said that it was only a couple years ago that Joe was starting to think of a Career in a regular world job (that did not involve the NFL)

He wasn't starting at Ohio State and making the NFL seemed less likely than him having to use his education to get a typical Career going using his College degree.

Joe's sudden rise to College Football stardom and consideration as the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft is something his Father said he and Joe consider a great honor.

His Father said that playing for any NFL team would be an Honor.

I expect that Joe's father will advise him to take the high road and appreciate the position he is in.

I doubt they would throw any NFL Franchise under the bus after the way I heard Joe's father speak.

I expect Joe to thankfully accept being chosen by any of the NFL teams as an Honor that just a couple of years ago seemed like more of a long shot to him.

When Joe's father was asked specifically about the not so successful Bengals taking him he said that Joe would consider it a challenge to win in Cincinnati and implied that Joe would willingly take on that challenge.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: In what way was the Senior Bowl an eye opener?  He's the slam dunk #1 pick and there's absolutely no reason for him to risk injury.  It would have been stupid for him to participate.

Plus he was injured in the Championship game.

Some Bengal fans are just too desperate to be a victims.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty damn annoying honestly. My heart sank when I read it, but it’s obviously nothing substantial.

Yeah, just more BS is all this is.

(02-06-2020, 12:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Just more of the same.....and someone else (Florio) jumping in and piling on.  Until Joe or his camp says something of the sort, it's all just noise. 

Now, I'm hoping what he said about playing for a team serious about a Super Bowl makes Mikey and crew take notice, but that doesn't mean the guy said he wouldn't play here. From what I read, he'll play wherever. If the team doesn't do what he feels is necessary, he could potentially leave at the end of his deal. But I don't see him refusing to come to Cincy.

Agreed Wyche, liked what Burrow had to say, same with his Dad.

(02-06-2020, 12:57 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I like cheese.

Cheese is good.....

And so are boobs. Mellow 

(02-06-2020, 01:37 PM)pally Wrote: National media is trying to force a story line.  The usual story, this time of year, is WHO will be #1.  They don't have that story to kick around so they are inventing one.  Nothing coming from the Burrow camp is indicating he won't play for the Bengals.  Even, saying he wants to go to a team committed to the Super Bowl is pretty status quo for any top draft pick prospect.  What do we want him to say that he wants to play for a committed loser?
We're going to make ourselves crazy if we jump at every "story" coming from people who don't know jack about the situation.

Yeah, just another one of these threads with nothing to back them up. More lying media pundits. Puke. Sick
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:12 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

I heard Joe Burrow's father talk on local Radio here in Cincinnati a few weeks ago (after LSU had won it all)

His father said that it was only a couple years ago that Joe was starting to think of a Career in a regular world job (that did not involve the NFL)

He wasn't starting at Ohio State and making the NFL seemed less likely than him having to use his education to get a typical Career going using his College degree.

Joe's sudden rise to College Football stardom and consideration as the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft is something his Father said he and Joe consider a great honor.

His Father said that playing for any NFL team would be an Honor.

I expect that Joe's father will advise him to take the high road and appreciate the position he is in.

I doubt they would throw any NFL Franchise under the bus after the way I heard Joe's father speak.

I expect Joe to thankfully accept being chosen by any of the NFL teams as an Honor that just a couple of years ago seemed like more of a long shot to him.

When Joe's father was asked specifically about the not so successful Bengals taking him he said that Joe would consider it a challenge to win in Cincinnati and implied that Joe would willingly take on that challenge.

Nice post Depthchart. Something relevant. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: In what way was the Senior Bowl an eye opener?  He's the slam dunk #1 pick and there's absolutely no reason for him to risk injury.  It would have been stupid for him to participate.

I would say it makes no sense for him to hire former Bengals to train him if he doesn't want to come here.

That, and he had a rib injury from the title game.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 01:37 PM)pally Wrote: National media is trying to force a story line.  The usual story, this time of year, is WHO will be #1.  They don't have that story to kick around so they are inventing one.  Nothing coming from the Burrow camp is indicating he won't play for the Bengals.  Even, saying he wants to go to a team committed to the Super Bowl is pretty status quo for any top draft pick prospect.  What do we want him to say that he wants to play for a committed loser?
We're going to make ourselves crazy if we jump at every "story" coming from people who don't know jack about the situation.

I logged on to say exactly this.

All this story tells us is that Burrow is the clear no.1 pick.

But at least the Bengals are being discussed. Usually when we're on the clock that's an automatic ad break.
Reply/Quote
On a lighter note...

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 11:46 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I mean TJ Carson Jordan they say narrative is Joe doesn't want to play here

TJ said he wasn't talking joe in any direction...  JP has no real say in anything...

Joe and his dad have said multiple times he will play for whatever team wants to pay him
Reply/Quote
After Eisen mentioned Cincinnati chili he said “I might learn to like it but we’ll have to see.” Does that sound like someone that plans to pull an Eli on Cincinnati? Obviously it’s not a ringing endorsement on how excited he is to come here either but anyone claiming he’s leaning towards refusing to play is stretching. If anything, a quote like that sounds like someone who is resigned to ending up here, which in the end is fine with me as long as he is professional about it.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 03:32 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: After Eisen mentioned Cincinnati chili he said “I might learn to like it but we’ll have to see.” Does that sound like someone that plans to pull an Eli on Cincinnati? Obviously it’s not a ringing endorsement on how excited he is to come here either but anyone claiming he’s leaning towards refusing to play is stretching. If anything, a quote like that sounds like someone who is resigned to ending up here, which in the end is fine with me as long as he is professional about it.

I mean there are plenty of other things to eat.
Reply/Quote

I would say it makes no sense for him to hire former Bengals to train him if he doesn't want to come here.

He certainly could have showed up and met the coaches at least. Not saying he had to practice and play, but how nice would it have been to get a copy of the playbook and get to know the scheme in a legal manner?

And Jordan trains a lot of people. He actually is pretty good at getting QB's prepared for their proday.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Why hang with the Palmers who have a grudge against the Bengals if he is excited to be here.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 05:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Why hang with the Palmers who have a grudge against the Bengals if he is excited to be here.

Why hang with the Palmers ?  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Since Burrow and his family have come out said he will be happy to play for any team, this continued media driven narrative just stinks of draft publicity and trying to generate excitement/controversy around the first pick. If the media just said “we know who the first pick is” people would tune out the offseason coverage.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 04:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: He certainly could have showed up and met the coaches at least. Not saying he had to practice and play, but how nice would it have been to get a copy of the playbook and get to know the scheme in a legal manner?

And Jordan trains a lot of people. He actually is pretty good at getting QB's prepared for their proday.

How many other top picks do that?  Practically none.  And he wouldn't get a copy of the playbook, either.  How many kids were on the South squad and how many will go to other teams?  You just going to hand your playbook out to half the league?

If you want to get him working on the playbook early, you give it to a guy you trust that also happens to be working with him...cough...TJ... cough...Jordan...
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 06:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: How many other top picks do that?  Practically none.  And he wouldn't get a copy of the playbook, either.  How many kids were on the South squad and how many will go to other teams?  You just going to hand your playbook out to half the league?

If you want to get him working on the playbook early, you give it to a guy you trust that also happens to be working with him...cough...TJ... cough...Jordan...

The last couple top picks who were Seniors showed up.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 12:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: The tea leaves are easy to read as it relates to Burrow not being overly thrilled to be a Bengal. He never said I want to go to Cinci and turn it around (like Baker did Cleveland and some other potential first round picks have said about the team picking 1 overall). So the tea leaves especially through the media read that he'd be happy to be drafted by the Bengals but if he had his choice the Bengals wouldn't be the team he played for.

And that is completely understandable.

The Seniorbowl snub was an eye opener.

Hopefully MB and co will do something to show him they care about winning (they won't). The relationship has started off a little rocky. I think we can all admit that.

Not really.  He just played 15 games, got injured in the final game and would have had to turn right around and play.  I don't think anyone actually thought he was going to show up there.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 05:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not really.  He just played 15 games, got injured in the final game and would have had to turn right around and play.  I don't think anyone actually thought he was going to show up there.

He didn't have to practice or play.

He could have just got the playbook, met the coaches and got a head start so he could hit the ground running after the draft.

Not like it was a deal breaker or whatnot. But ZT did call, and I'm sure they would have liked to have met up with him given he is the pick.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 04:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: He certainly could have showed up and met the coaches at least. Not saying he had to practice and play, but how nice would it have been to get a copy of the playbook and get to know the scheme in a legal manner?

He's not going to get a copy of the playbook... what are you talking about?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2020, 05:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: He didn't have to practice or play.

He could have just got the playbook, met the coaches and got a head start so he could hit the ground running after the draft.

Not like it was a deal breaker or whatnot. But ZT did call, and I'm sure they would have liked to have met up with him given he is the pick.

Joe said himself he was going to take some time off. Well deserved time off especially considering the injury.
Reply/Quote